Goose Eye Mountain via Appalachian Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(12)
Berlin, New Hampshire

Goose Eye Mountain via Appalachian Trail is a 11.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Berlin, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length11.6 miElevation gain4,366 ftRoute typeOut & back

Photos (102)
Recordings (12)
Completed (22)
Tim Babcock
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
HikingMuddyRockyScramble

This trail needs to be remeasured. The app says, 11.6 miles out and back. I used Google maps which takes you to a section of success pond road where there a spot for about two cars to park. From there you have to walk about a 1/4 mile to the trailhead which is success trail. This trail is very hard and strenuous to do. I repeat VERY HARD and STRENUOUS. The Overlook loop has incredible views. Afterwards some of obstacles I navigated were nerve racking. At one point you have to take off your backpack and lower it through a crevasse before you slide yourself on down. If you want to get to Goose eye via success trail do not go alone. You could really get hurt on this trail. I know I took the Overlook trail loop and had to walk a 1/4 mile to the trailhead but I had been hiking for 7 miles according to my FitBit and Goose eye was still a mile away by the app. From my vantage point it was looking further away than that. I was getting concerned about daylight and turned back. I took the Carlos Col trail heading to the campsite. Just before the campsite there was a sign saying Success Pond rd 2.4 miles. Initially was going to camp but when I saw the sign I just said frig it and took it back to the rd. This trail is pretty easy to do and follow. I came out on Success Pond rd about 4 miles downstream from where I had parked my Jeep so walking I went to the Jeep. Success Pond Rd is a gravel rd. Would recommend a SUV or truck to drive down this road. Its very rocky and bumpy though I'm sure a car could make it, it would be slow travel. If your goal is to summit Goose eye mt I would take Success Pond Rd further down the rd and park where you see the sign for the Carlos Col trail. From there you can get on Goose eye trail to summit the mountain which I'm told is the "easiest" way to get there. If you check out Daren recording you'll see this is the trail he took. I started at 9:00 AM and it was a little after 5 when I came back out to Success pond rd. It was a half hour walk from there to the Jeep. I'm just find it hard to believe that this trail is 11.6 mi out and back.

Daren Adair
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 4, 2020
HikingGreat!
First to Review

Steep and definitely a trail hike that you need to pay very close attention to each and every step,. My 3rd Time up and the hike was enjoyable and the views were amazing , a few blow downs to maneuver up and over or around.

View Daren's Recording
Christopher Hinckley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
View Christopher 's Recording
Beth Abbott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 3, 2020
View Beth's Recording
Daren Adair
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
View Daren's Recording
Victoria Clare
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 13, 2019
View Victoria's Recording
Joe Magee
View Joe's Recording
Phil Pelletier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 30, 2019
Rob Renander
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2019
View Rob's Recording
Elton Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2019
View Elton's Recording
Stephen Shaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2019
View Stephen's Recording
Adrienne Wylder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019