Gap Mountain Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Troy, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 68 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From the south parking lot, it is a 2.6 mile round-trip hike to Gap Mountains middle summit and back. This is a strenuous hike over steep terrain, so please be sure you have sturdy footwear and plenty of water. From the South parking lot, follow the yellow blazed trail 0.4 mile to where the trail merges with the Metacomet Monadnock Trail (white blazes). Continue straight ahead on the M/M trail, following the white blazes, emerging on the middle summit at 1.3 miles. If you wish to visit the north summit, follow the white blazes down into a swampy area and then back up to the summit (0.1 miles beyond middle summit). NOTE: On returning to the parking lot, remember to look for the yellow blazed trail to the parking lot on the left just after crossing the stream.

Little work for a great view. If you haven’t been on this trail in a while, there is some logging at the trailhead and the parking lot is now gated. Some logging intrusion on the first couple hundred yard and limited road parking which may be an issue on summer weekends.

Very easy hike, ideal for beginners. For advanced hikers, this trail makes a fun run. Since we went on a weekend during quarantine, there were many families with small children making a lot of noise and scaring away the animals.

Great hike for beginners! Beautiful views at the summit. A bit steep the last third of the climb, but very manageable.

Great view at the top, Rocky climb higher up. Really good moderate hike. Not a lot of parking at the South trail entrance but there is a porta-potty.

Great hike with a beautiful view of Mt. Monadnock at the top.

Starts easy then some quick ascending, like stair climbing. Took two 50 year old obese adults, who were athletes as young people, about 45 minutes to summit. Lots of roots so wouldn't be good for mountain biking.

Hiked the trail today! It was a bit muddy due to a rain storm yesterday. Other then that it was good. I thought it was hard. A lot of rocks to climb and steep at times. But I am not young. The blueberry picking was great. I came home with about 2 pints of small berries. Great views. Porta-potty in the parking lot is very welcome.

Quiet and good views for such a quick hike

Wed May 22 2019

Short and easy hike to start off the season. There isn’t much parking, but there weren’t many people there anyway. VERY BUGGY!! We couldn’t stop for more than a minute without the bugs being unbearable. Otherwise, nice hike!

Wed May 15 2019

Great trail. Would highly recommend taking a walk upstream of the bridge that you run into.

Mon Apr 22 2019

Love this hike. It is moderate, it gets a bit steep at the top but my four and two year old can navigate it pretty well themselves. We hiked it today, 4/21 and it was pretty muddy in places but not too bad. Views are gorgeous and it's well maintained.

Tue Oct 23 2018

Great Hike!

Sun Oct 14 2018

1 day after rain, muddy in beginning parts, dries up midway. Steep climb towards the top. Good views all around.

Fri Apr 27 2018

GREAT HIKE. Most of it is an easy incline. Lots of Muddy spots right now, but no snow! Towards the last part of the trail is a long set of stairs then a fun scramble at the top. The scramble was tricky while carrying an almost 30 lb. toddler on my back, but would have been a lot easier without carrying. You could see that there were TONS of blueberry bushes. Great views from the summit, especially of Mount Monadnock! I look forward to doing this one again without a toddler on my back!

Sat Mar 24 2018

Gives you a decent workout, but not too tough, the view from the summit(s) is very nice.

Sun Nov 19 2017

Sun Aug 27 2017

A great little hike with easy/moderate incline, mostly towards the end of the trail.Took approximately 2 hours round trip with a break to enjoy the awesome view!

Fri Aug 25 2017

It's definitely moderate, the last but was steep. I'm out with a 8,6,4,2 and 1 year old. the 8 and 6 could've made it to the summit but after all the stairs at the end the littles couldn't. Trail is beautiful and clear. We will definitely come back and try to reach the summit again.

Mon Aug 07 2017

my boyfriend and I hiked it today. thought it was listed as moderate, it was pretty easy, other than the last 30 ft. It gets a bit steep towards the top. There are lots of blueberries on the summit, and a nice view of Mount Monadnoch

Sun Aug 06 2017

This place is in my top ten for hiking. The views are beautiful, but not nearly as stunning as the trail itself. When I went this summer I saw a flock of cedar waxwings as well.

Mon Jul 31 2017

Takes about 30 minutes to top. Nice view of Monadnock at summit. Lots of wild blueberries during June/July. Usually not a lot of traffic between August-May.

Mon Jul 17 2017

Took our 2.5 year old and 7 month old in a pack. What a wonderful family day! I had to carry the older at times on the way up and most of the way down (we left late and missed nap time) but I cherished every minute of it! Wonderful view and all the blueberries you can eat/carry. Well marked trail and well kept! Will do this again and again!

Mon Jul 17 2017

The trail was well marked! It did have some harder, climbing spots but when we got to the top it was well worth it. So many blueberries!! and the views were awesome. I would do this hike again if it was closer to home.

Sun Jul 16 2017

I had to rest a few times, but it's totally worth it to get to the top!

Wed Jul 12 2017

Excellent trail with great views. watch out for flies.

Sat Jun 17 2017

Good trail would do again. I was pleasantly surprised and happy I could bring the dog.

Mon Apr 17 2017

Great family hike (been doing it with our kids since they were 5). Decent view at the top.

Sat Aug 20 2016

It's a good hike with some rewarding views.