Flume Slide Trail to Liberty Spring Trail Loop

Flume Slide Trail to Liberty Spring Trail Loop is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Took my mother and father up here back in August of 2010 and hope to take them back up again this summer.

Excellent hike, did it with my friend Chadd in about six hours, with breaks as needed. Slid down the flume side. Formidable! Happy New Year 2019.

Deceptively easy at first, the ascent was steep and slippery. Probably one of the toughest climbs in the area. Views at the top are great. My recommendation would be to go up Mt Flume and down from Mt Liberty.

Hiked the flume slide trail today with my experienced hiking dog, unfortunately the rocks were soaked and we both slipped... a lot. Must say the trail is very well marked up until the rock scrambles, so be cautious of that if you chose to walk along the trail which it appeared many have done. Overall if we didn’t summit in the clouds then the hike would’ve been VERY rewarding. Just know it’s very difficult for that last.. maybe 0.8 mile section before you reach flume summit.

Liberty springs was awesome, we were able to run the whole day down without any incidents, even with soaking wet rocks. That last leg of the hike on whitehouse is painfully boring and lasts forever.

rock climbing

It says leashed dogs allowed on trail, but I DO NOT RECOMMEND BRINGING YOUR DOG! Also, listen to the reviews, you will NOT go down the slide! You have to hike down the mountain and up to Mount Liberty and then down again because Mother Nature is just making a fool of any sense of distance or direction you will have during this trail. My dog is an incredible hiking dog, and he DID get through this trail, but unless you can carry your dog securely rock-climbing and your dog has something to cover his footpads, I just do not recommend the Mount Flume Slide into Mount Liberty and back down. There’s even some dangerous rock going up to mount liberty you will need to find a way to carry your dog while you climb. There are wooded areas on the side of the flume slide and he was able to go around, but this is a hard hike. No, you don’t get it, a hard hike. It’s terrifying because one slip, and you CAN get seriously hurt. Not like a broken leg. Like dead. This was my first 4K footer, and I’m glad I’ve got one of the worst ones over with. I was with 3 other people and my dog. One of my friends ended up just taking my dog along the wooded side of the slide while we rock-climbed. Not hiked, ROCK CLIMBED our way up. Seriously carb up before this hike...this trail doesn’t care about your diet. You’ll need the energy. Great bucket-list hike, but wow. Your physical and mental limits will be tested. Also, the weather was perfect for us, and it didn’t even matter. This hike is no joke. I just got home and showered from this. Took us about 9-10 hours and I was moving at a snails pace.

Flume slide is little challenging but fun.

Really enjoyed this hike and the views were great. The slide was fun, but tough - not for the faint of heart. Make sure you have good traction and don't even think of doing it on a damp day much less wet. The saddle to Liberty wasn't bad unless, like me, your legs were toast from climbing the slide. Don't miss this one. And thank you to the folk who left the flag on the summit of Liberty.

This hike is worth it. Starting from the Basin, the first 2 miles are a great easy warm up. Once we hit the Slide, we put our poles away since you definately need your hands to scramble up the slide. The Slide was tough. Some spots leave you with no hand or foot holds, so you just have to scurry up quickly. The summit is a Beautiful 360 view. Hiking over to Mt. Liberty was a piece of cake compared to what we had just climbed. It was a beautiful day, perfect weather. The summit was busy today. It was Flags over The 48 today. Today was the perfect day for a hard hike that challenged us every step of the way. It was the Perfect hike to Honor all those who perished on 9/11.

Definitely a good hard hike. My buddy and I did this in about 6hr 10 min going at a fast pace. We started from the Basin parking lot which total saves you about .5 mile total than starting from the visitor center. My buddy and I did this a little bit different and not the recommend way by any means (We did the loop in reverse (me and my buddy started late and we wanted to get back down as quickly as we could before it got dark)). What I learned is that Liberty trail going up is almost a constant slope up, there are very few switchbacks (none) to rest your muscles and catch your breath. However, there is a nice campground and more importantly a water spring that you can refill your bottles about 3/4 - 7/8ths of the way up. No filter needed!

As for the views, Liberty was simply breath taking. We spent a lot more time on the summit than originally planned. The 1.2 mile difference between summits took us about 30 min and just a quick warning there is a fair bit of elevation change between the two (especially when tired). and the view from Flume was a wonderful view as well.

Now for the dumb part, so going down Flume slide goes against every guide you will read for a reason. We made it down because it didn't rain for a while and the rocks were almost completely dry. So even if you are in a hurry, don't risk it. Lots of places to slide, break an ankle or worse. Luckily I left on'y with a new hole in my pants.

This was the most grueling hike that I've ever done but incredibly rewarding. The most difficult part was the Flume Slide trail which is very steep and slippery if wet but fortunately it was largely dry when we hike it.

It took everything out of me and my hiking buddy. The view from Mount Flume and Mount Liberty is absolutely incredible. It was nice and breezy and the peak is not too tall so we can see a beautiful panorama view of everything below.

We spent a lot of time at both peaks enjoying picnic and taking pictures so the whole trip took us over 11.5 hours. It was a memorable hike but the long Whitehouse trail at the end gets really monotonous especially on the way back.

Flume slide is deceiving at first, begins as a nice walk in the woods. After an hour or so the trail quickly becomes steep and you rock climb, not hike, your way to the top. Beautiful and easy trek to Liberty. Highly recommend!

From Mt Flume along the ridge and then to Mt Liberty - 5 Stars! But coming up the Flume Slide Trail? Ugh. Poorly marked and it’s easy to get lost, even with a map. I went up Flume Slide - lots of of scrambles and searching for handholds and footholds. Have to be careful. Don’t plan on coming down Flume Slide. Use Liberty Springs Trail for that. So, 1 star for the Flume Slide Trail.

Nice challenging hike up Flume Slide and a decent trek over to Liberty. Great day for it and Id do again in a heartbeat

Looking to hike this Wednesday may 30th. Is there still snow

I consider myself a somewhat experienced hiker having hit a few 4000+ peaks and a couple 5000+ peaks and this was one of the tougher hikes I’ve done. I was warned about the “Slide” and got up it okay but there are some areas where one slip on the slippery rock face could get you seriously injured so definitely be careful going up Flume Slide and avoid going down at all costs. Amazing 360 degree views with peaks on all sides from Liberty summit in particular. Steady climb down Liberty Springs as well which my knees weren’t happy about. The entire loop of roughly 10 miles at a steady pace including probably an hour and a half of breaks took 7.5 hours.

Great scramble to the summit of Mount Flume, with lots of snow on the trail over to Mount Liberty. The scrambling is not that hard for those that are used to rock, and there are lots of side trails to get over any spot that is too difficult. The snow between the peaks was solid, but when it warms up in the next few days you will probably be post holing. Great as a loop as just going up and down Liberty trail would be kind of a bore

Friday, January 19, 2018

Great 10 miles with some awesome views along the ridge.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Yeah, this one was challenging. Flume Slide was very moderate up until the last mile which felt like it went straight up. The rock scrambling was intense, and in parts quite dangerous. Even the peak over to Liberty was challenging but maybe because my butt was just kicked so hard, lol. As others have stated, I DO NOT recommend descending the Flume Slide trail. Go up Flume Slide and Down Liberty Spring, which is actually a very great trail.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Yikes! This one is challenging. Went up the Flume Slide trail and what started as a nice little stroll ended with rock climbing. The last mile is extremely hard. It was wet the day I went and very slippery. The view from the top is fantastic but this one is for experienced hikers only!

Thursday, September 28, 2017

oh and gawd it's ridiculous and my feet hurt a lot, my poor wife who thought we were going for a few hours hike, turned into professional hikers...this one was for the record books. I can't believe we made it out, I thought we were done on the flume slide...we should have just turned around.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Tough hike but worth it!

Saturday, September 23, 2017

If you're planning to run any portion of this trail, definitely start with the Flume Slide and come down on Liberty Spring. There's a lot of scrambling on the way up--it's really fun and the views at top are worth it, but it does make this hike one of the more challenging that I've done to date.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

The summits of Flume and Liberty are beautiful but climbing up the Flume Ledges was one of the hardest things I've climbed so far. The first 3.8 miles was really flat and quick, but the last mile before the summit of Flume was terrible. The Flume Ledges took me a hour to climb up and it was slow because of a combination of climb up rock and the fact that many of the rocks were very slippery. I strongly advise against descending the Flume Ledges because of how steep the climb up is. Besides the steep Flume Ledges, the rest of the hike was very smooth and enjoyable. Excellent views of Little Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette and Garfield.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

This was absolutely the hardest hike I have ever done. The slide is no joke especially after it rains. The slide took us a couple hour's just to conquer and we all got dirty from crawling and scrambling. The rest of the hike is beautiful

Friday, September 01, 2017

Loved this hike. When we hiked it on Tuesday, three days ago, I have to say I kept Gianni Gugielmi's review in my head the entire time...we would say things like "here's the Satan rocks!" and "we're on the "Oh no no no" part!" Thanks for giving us something to laugh about all day Gianni! The way up was difficult and definitely just a step up from rock climbing. I personally really like hikes that are pretty straight up and challenging like that, so we had a blast. I also took my friend on this trail (her first 4000ftr in sneaks) and she was very sore the next day but also loved it. With that being said, do NOT go down the Flume Slide Trail. We came across some backpackers with top heavy packs and hiking poles who were having a lot of trouble going down. Hiking poles are pointless for this trail, but useful for Liberty Springs Trail. Do not go when there is a chance that the rocks are very wet. The beginning of the Flume Slide Trail is deceiving for what the end holds. Overall, we loved it but others might not be so keen. It really depends on what you are looking for. the views are also awesome! I recommend for hikers looking to challenge themselves and feel accomplished afterwards!

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I would like to say that "very difficult" is an understatement. Although it was claimed as the stairway to heaven, believe me when I say that it was crafted by The abhorrent hands of Satan himself. Despite the first three hours of our traumatizing adventure being simple, the start of the "slide" almost signified the beginning of the denaturing of your muscles. We were continuously lunging, pulling, and slipping on wet, flat rocks which created near death experiences of rolling down an endless death slide to fiery pits of the underworld. As you continue to climb (not hike) your mind starts to realize that you are going much slower than what your body perceives. You begin to become physically unable, mentally unstable and emotionally distraught as you have about 2000 feet left to climb. Now, getting to the Peak is a great feeling. You can finally rest and head back down. Back down? Oh no no no. To get done with this quad-crumbling path, you need to go down the mountain and then UP ANOTHER MOUNTAIN. At this point it's almost like you have been tricked by yours truly, Lucifer. You realize you have to continue to rip your quads off the bone of your leg as you ascend for the second time. You then finally reach another peak and wonder if there's even a way down. You finally descend as if your legs already don't feel like a baby deer when it comes out of the womb. After crushing 87% of the bones of your feet and having all leg muscles encounter uncontrollable spasm, you reach the bottom. Just as you reach the bottom, you come to realize, after having war flashbacks of your body completely combusting, the creator of this trail had the lovely desire to make you walk another mile and a half to the parking lot. Your body is completely destroyed. I don't recommend it unless you enjoy all varieties of pain the rock of pure murder has to offer.

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Not sure I'd ever choose to go up the Flume Slide again, but I'm sure glad to be able to say I've done it! One hell of a hike. Pretty much straight rock climbing for the last half mile, and it got pretty nerve wracking in some spots due to wet rocks. The effort is well worth it, though. The views on top of Flume and Liberty are my favorite so far. I don't recommend trying to go down the slide trail, nor would I take a dog on that section. You're really going to need both hands free for some pretty technical climbing. But when you're done, I can guarantee you'll feel accomplished.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

So the Flume slide. fun until ya hit the slide...... ...Im glad I never will have to do this again. we got caught in the rain. Made it more slippery. I can see why so many accidents . Iam glad we did it..(I say that as we are finished) take your time. use your head.The views are amazing.awsome experience!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

really cool. Flume Slide easy for first hour, then real steep with lots of climbing.

Monday, August 14, 2017

One of the best hikes I've done, challenging hike with amazing views of the surrounding mountains. A little advice though, go up Flume slide trail because it is very tricky trying to go down it, had to slide down on my butt more than once.