Flume Slide Trail to Liberty Spring Trail Loop

Flume Slide Trail to Liberty Spring Trail Loop is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

oh and gawd it's ridiculous and my feet hurt a lot, my poor wife who thought we were going for a few hours hike, turned into professional hikers...this one was for the record books. I can't believe we made it out, I thought we were done on the flume slide...we should have just turned around.

Tough hike but worth it!

If you're planning to run any portion of this trail, definitely start with the Flume Slide and come down on Liberty Spring. There's a lot of scrambling on the way up--it's really fun and the views at top are worth it, but it does make this hike one of the more challenging that I've done to date.

The summits of Flume and Liberty are beautiful but climbing up the Flume Ledges was one of the hardest things I've climbed so far. The first 3.8 miles was really flat and quick, but the last mile before the summit of Flume was terrible. The Flume Ledges took me a hour to climb up and it was slow because of a combination of climb up rock and the fact that many of the rocks were very slippery. I strongly advise against descending the Flume Ledges because of how steep the climb up is. Besides the steep Flume Ledges, the rest of the hike was very smooth and enjoyable. Excellent views of Little Haystack, Lincoln, Lafayette and Garfield.

This was absolutely the hardest hike I have ever done. The slide is no joke especially after it rains. The slide took us a couple hour's just to conquer and we all got dirty from crawling and scrambling. The rest of the hike is beautiful

Loved this hike. When we hiked it on Tuesday, three days ago, I have to say I kept Gianni Gugielmi's review in my head the entire time...we would say things like "here's the Satan rocks!" and "we're on the "Oh no no no" part!" Thanks for giving us something to laugh about all day Gianni! The way up was difficult and definitely just a step up from rock climbing. I personally really like hikes that are pretty straight up and challenging like that, so we had a blast. I also took my friend on this trail (her first 4000ftr in sneaks) and she was very sore the next day but also loved it. With that being said, do NOT go down the Flume Slide Trail. We came across some backpackers with top heavy packs and hiking poles who were having a lot of trouble going down. Hiking poles are pointless for this trail, but useful for Liberty Springs Trail. Do not go when there is a chance that the rocks are very wet. The beginning of the Flume Slide Trail is deceiving for what the end holds. Overall, we loved it but others might not be so keen. It really depends on what you are looking for. the views are also awesome! I recommend for hikers looking to challenge themselves and feel accomplished afterwards!

I would like to say that "very difficult" is an understatement. Although it was claimed as the stairway to heaven, believe me when I say that it was crafted by The abhorrent hands of Satan himself. Despite the first three hours of our traumatizing adventure being simple, the start of the "slide" almost signified the beginning of the denaturing of your muscles. We were continuously lunging, pulling, and slipping on wet, flat rocks which created near death experiences of rolling down an endless death slide to fiery pits of the underworld. As you continue to climb (not hike) your mind starts to realize that you are going much slower than what your body perceives. You begin to become physically unable, mentally unstable and emotionally distraught as you have about 2000 feet left to climb. Now, getting to the Peak is a great feeling. You can finally rest and head back down. Back down? Oh no no no. To get done with this quad-crumbling path, you need to go down the mountain and then UP ANOTHER MOUNTAIN. At this point it's almost like you have been tricked by yours truly, Lucifer. You realize you have to continue to rip your quads off the bone of your leg as you ascend for the second time. You then finally reach another peak and wonder if there's even a way down. You finally descend as if your legs already don't feel like a baby deer when it comes out of the womb. After crushing 87% of the bones of your feet and having all leg muscles encounter uncontrollable spasm, you reach the bottom. Just as you reach the bottom, you come to realize, after having war flashbacks of your body completely combusting, the creator of this trail had the lovely desire to make you walk another mile and a half to the parking lot. Your body is completely destroyed. I don't recommend it unless you enjoy all varieties of pain the rock of pure murder has to offer.

Not sure I'd ever choose to go up the Flume Slide again, but I'm sure glad to be able to say I've done it! One hell of a hike. Pretty much straight rock climbing for the last half mile, and it got pretty nerve wracking in some spots due to wet rocks. The effort is well worth it, though. The views on top of Flume and Liberty are my favorite so far. I don't recommend trying to go down the slide trail, nor would I take a dog on that section. You're really going to need both hands free for some pretty technical climbing. But when you're done, I can guarantee you'll feel accomplished.

So the Flume slide. fun until ya hit the slide...... ...Im glad I never will have to do this again. we got caught in the rain. Made it more slippery. I can see why so many accidents . Iam glad we did it..(I say that as we are finished) take your time. use your head.The views are amazing.awsome experience!

really cool. Flume Slide easy for first hour, then real steep with lots of climbing.

One of the best hikes I've done, challenging hike with amazing views of the surrounding mountains. A little advice though, go up Flume slide trail because it is very tricky trying to go down it, had to slide down on my butt more than once.