Learn more

Flume Slide Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.2 mi Elevation gain 2,844 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (303)
Recordings (40)
Completed (451)
Emma Hauer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 07 2020
Hiking

The slide is really fun! Easily the highlight of the trail for me. Easy approach to it was nice, views were incredible on both summits! Water crossings were easy since water is low. The AMC trail crew was out cutting blowdowns so it’s clear all the way up now. Bugs were a little annoying up top but not terrible, the spring at liberty springs is flowing.

View Emma's Recording
Stacey D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingBugs

Great trail. I did this solo as I do with all my hiking. Flume starts at an unmarked path. I took pictures to document. First 3.5 miles nice and easy. Then the steep begins. A lot of rocks and small loose rocks mixed in too. Boulder slabs to climb up weren't hard but you did have to use your hands. Lots of fun. It was a cooler day with minimal bugs. I did end up put on but spray halfway of the climb of Flume. The bugs were hanging out at the top but not bad. Went up Flume down Liberty. I would advise anyone to do this loop counter-clockwise! As for dogs if they are agile and used to steep hiking they will have no problem because they can go around the climbing part. Definitely NOT on a leash. You and the dog might die. LOL

View Stacey's Recording
Nick Braz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 16 2020
OHV/Off Road DrivingRockyScramble

Was not planning on hiking the loop. Went up Mount Flume Side Trail on the way up and found that it was too late and too steep to hike it on the way down. Hiked for 1.5 hours in the dark but overall a great learning experience. Took about 4 hours in all to do the loop.

View Nick's Recording
Irchik Kolesnikova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingRockyScramble
View Irchik's Recording
E M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 08 2020
HikingRocky

6/8/20- Rocks were pretty dry and there is no snow and ice left at all. Saw no one else at all on the trail, but a few at the summit. Very very steep and sketchy, but a ton of fun. I did not go down (I would recommend not going down if you can help it), but continued onto Lafayette.

Jared Bernson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 03 2020
Hiking

Flume slide trail is very difficult. Would not attempt going down it.

View Jared's Recording
Matthew Curran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Apr 19 2020
HikingIcyScramble

Trailhead is very difficult to find. Had to rely on GPS otherwise we would not have found it. Lots of rivers that are varying levels of difficulty to cross. Once you get to the steep incline about 0.5 miles from the peak, spikes and scrambling on ice is necessary. Extreme incline and high risk of sliding off the trail without proper gear.

View Matthew's Recording
Sharon Curtis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 04 2019
Hiking

10/10 hike. The words previously used to describe this trail including “satisfying” and “worth the challenge” are definitely accurate. It felt like a super quick climb once we got to the steep part. It was definitely a full body climb, but with the option to walk avoid some of the wet, steep rock faces. Would definitely do it again!

Joseph Cohen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 01 2018
Hiking

This trail did not disappoint and is everything previous reviews have mentioned. The first part is lovely with a gradual grade and several small stream crossings. After about 90 minutes into the trail, we reached the beginning of the slide. Some large boulders and ledges at first, which climbed steeper. Some rocks had natural foot and hand holds, other times there was a convenient root or tree. Even though it hadn't rained for two days, there were still areas of wetness that made the climb slick and tricky. We took it slow and really paid attention to our footing and shifting of our weight. The word 'unrelenting' comes to mind! In total, the slide part took us about an hour and 3/4 to scale. Then it's just 10 more minutes to the summit. There's a nice lookout just before the intersection with the Osseo trail. The views at the top were spectacular and give a great perspective of some of the slide activity. What a great sense of accomplishment and reward from completing this trail. We then proceeded to Mt. Liberty and descended by the Liberty Springs Trail

Jeremie Wallgren
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 14 2018

Challenging near top but so fun. Try for a dry day, larger slick rocks.

Simon Guérard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 15 2018
Hiking

Nice scramble at the end, I'd suggest doing the loop to liberty (and go up via Flume). We personnally get going on the ridge to the franconia loop - big day but worth it! Getting many 4000 footers

Brian Krulish
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 17 2017
Hiking

Sense of accomplishment after finishing this trail...very challenging to say the least. Last mile or so is all out scramble up, thankfully hadn,t rained too hard because Rocks had become slippery which made it even more challenging to traverse. View from Mt Flume was beautiful. This trail definitely deserves its hard rating

Wesley Walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 20 2016
Hiking

This trail starts off very easy, about 3 or so miles of flat ground getting to flume but then the trail turns into the stairway to heaven, followed by a nice section of rock scramble to the top. The view from flume was amazing but view from liberty was even better. Great hike and it took me and my buddy just over 5 hours to complete (we hike pretty quick though).

Audrey Zaferos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Sep 21 2016
Hiking

If you're looking for a trail that will challenge you in different ways, force you to conquer some fears, and then reward you in a spectacular way...look no further! The trail starts deceptively easy, with pretty gentle grades and good footing over the first couple of miles. There is one somewhat confusing spot where you cross a river on your right, and then actually need to cross back to the left - we went a bit beyond the crossing by accident, so if you see what looks like a river crossing, it probably is! There are few blazes in the upper parts of the trail but after the crossing on the left it's fairly obvious you're on a well used route. The trail starts to become rockier and steeper, and then the real fun begins! The slide is probably the most challenging thing I've ever "hiked", and I put that in quotes because I was definitely using every single body part in a wide variety of ways to traverse some sections. It had rained the day before we went, and in some spots the rock was EXTREMELY slippery and a bit scary to traverse - mostly scary in an exhilarating way, but there were several places where I found myself relying on roots and trees to stabilize myself, or where I'd have to backtrack after picking a questionable route. I would definitely recommend this trail only to those who have some hiking experience and who are fairly bold. I don't consider myself to be overly daring but you definitely have to be willing to take a few risks to get through some of the trickier sections. After a long stretch of the large slabs, the trail reverts back into something that more resembles a "trail" with large boulders and rocks before you hit the sign indicating the junction of multiple trails, and indicating that you've made it up the slide - success! It's a short hike with some outstanding views over cliffs and ledges to reach the summit of Mount Flume. Overall I would definitely recommend this hike - it's an exciting climb with a really wonderful payoff.

J C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 31 2016

Very rewarding! You can be proud of yourself once completed. Bring proper shoes and only hike up flume slide not down!

Leigh C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Aug 30 2016
Hiking

Highly rewarding hike with spectacular views. Went into this as an inexperienced hiker and both my husband and I were challenged. Bring plenty of water and cross the summit over to Liberty mountain. We were advised by local hikers not to use Flume Slide to travel back down, as the trail is unsafe. We looped around and came back via the Liberty Springs trail. Be sure that there has not been recent rainfall

Nicholas Coleman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 21 2016
Hiking

Hard but very rewarding trail. Gorgeous day. Incredible views from the summit

Marc Tetreault
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun May 29 2016
Hiking

Very hard workout. Awesome views from the summit.

Étienne Poulin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 28 2016
Hiking

très belle endroit a visiter Bonne randonnée

Stacy Merchant
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Apr 03 2016

April 2,2016 WOW!!! Hubby and I are in our 40's and pretty physical so didn't think anything of going up this trail and hiking over to the liberty mountain and down liberty springs trail. we had spikes with us so we thought we were all set. HA!! Not so much. dry for the first two miles then some crunchy snow for a mile then came the huge ice build ups on the trail. Very scary!!!! Not for the faint of heart. The spikes were like ice skates on the frozen ice. we ended up bushwacking as it was to dangerous to pass and to dangerous to turn back. Excellent adventure however, I think I am all set with doing again. Happy hiking and as always be safe. :)

Nevins Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Feb 05 2016
Hiking

In 1983 we hiked this trail with a 10 year old girl and a 12 year old boy. We were 39. Once you get started up we could not go down without ropes. We were stuck with having to go on. A family legend was created. Do not take children on this trail!! We could barely walk for a week from sore legs. Glad we did it, but never again.

Brenda Ainsworth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 21 2015
Hiking

Wow, first ever rock climbing trail... wow. Make sure you do not try after rain, give it a day to dry out. It was an amazing experience, highest peaks so far. I believe we are getting addicted to the higher peaks, such a reward at the end to see those views.

Jason Lambert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 08 2015

This trail is no joke !! Supper steep once you hit the slide , but lots of fun to be had on it !!

Samantha Torpedo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Feb 26 2015
Hiking

Carefule during mud season. Swallow you whole like quick sand haha! Its fun to swing frombranch to branch like monkeys on the way down, quick and light on your feet.

Eric Ruffin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 30 2014
Hiking

I have to agree with Shelby I don't recommend coming down from Flume on this trail very steep and lots of loose rock and wet ledges. amazing views from the summit, even saw a female moose walking around in the ravine on the granite slides.

Shelby Wischan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Aug 17 2014

Awesome trail! If you're hiking Flume and Liberty, I recommend hiking up this trail and summiting Flume first. This trail is very steep and I cannot imagine going down it, especially if it had rained recently.

Rajesha Rupaimoole
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 10 2020
Walking