Learn more

Copple Crown Mountain is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Union, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,112 feet Route Type: Out & Back

When you get to the end of the paved road, it splits into 2 dirt roads. Stay to the left and follow all the way to the end. Make sure your car can handle to big dips so you don’t bottom out. The directions lead to a secondary parking that is more easily accessible via GPS. You can also access trail via Hanson Road near Mountain Lake.

Happened to set out just before a thunderstorm hit to the north, but we kept going. The canopy provided plenty of cover from the rain. First 3/4 of a mile or so is rocky mud road. The ascent is single file through what feels like an ancient forest with creeks, rocks and newts. Actually longer than 5.6 miles. The website doesn’t account for the added distance of the switchbacks. Black Lab (70 pounds) had no problem making it to the top and back. Didn’t see any other people, hikers or otherwise. Plenty of deer flies and mosquitoes. Recommend Thermacell repellent, at least for the mosquitoes. Overall a really good hike. We’ll definitely go back on a less foggy day to see the view.

Great day for a hike. The hike itself was uneventful. Not a lot to look at along the way -- most wild flowers have passed their bloom. Overall, though, it was a peaceful hike through the woods and was a good workout. Some steep points, but nothing too strenuous! The views was tranquil and worth the trip. Took my dog, Sadie, along...there were spots of running water for her, but good to carry some along when resting at the top. I'm guessing a Spring or Fall visit would have the best views when approaching the top. The dirt road was definitely manageable, so long as you travel slow and mindful. A good day!! Only met a couple of hikers on my way down.

Make sure and keep driving passed the first parking lot on the left it’s private, then the next one on the left is small- if you keep driving all the way you’ll hit the bigger parking lot. Make sure and check out the East peak- make more space. The summit doesn’t have a lot of room (if you are doing lunch, do it at the other one). Super buggy on the bottom section of the trail. Overall loved the trail, very well maintained and labeled.

recorded Copple Crown Mountain

Very nice hike to two beautiful views. Definitely check out both! The east peak has an expansive view and is great for a picnic, while the summit has a limited, but stellar view of Lake Winnipesaukee! The road to the parking lot is VERY rutted, but it’s short, so make sure your vehicle has good clearance!

Did this hike today, was our favorite so far out of the less crowded hikes we've been doing. The descent was moderate (I'm out of shape and was winded, but overall wasn't that bad). The view to the left is much better, we did both. Has a beautiful overlook with a sweeping view. We only ran into 2-3 other groups, and enjoyed a quiet hike for most of it. The trail is beautiful - following a small brook, decorated with moss and ferns. It looked like something out of a fairy tale. Was a bit muddy at times but it rained yesterday.

Did this one in May, nice breeze so not too many bugs. Moderate ascent. Great views, better at the overlook to the left vs the summit, we did both. The overlook to the left is great but has a steep drop-off so parents should be very careful with kids! Overall, great hike and would recommend.

Did an out-and-back starting from the Ellis R. Hatch trailhead off the King's Highway, so I probably did close 10 miles today, if combined with all my exploring. All the trails I took were 95% dry, and relatively easy, although the mosquitoes were a bit thick, and I didn't bring DEET... There's what appears to be a new trail on the left, off Hanson Road, if you're ascending Copple, but it is not. It's a dead end that leads to a USFS site. I figured I'd gone that far, so I bushwhacked to the East Peak, which wasn't too bad, as the forest wasn't too dense. I did get a number of ticks on me, though... If you're looking to add a few miles and hours to this trip, I highly recommend starting from the Ellis trailhead like I did.

I made this route into a loop, which was fine, despite the half mile of bushwhack to the east summit.

Great hike to stretch the legs at the beginning of hiking season. Not too challenging, not too long, nice views (better from East Peak than the Summit). Some splits in the trail lacking good markings, but totally worth it.

Great trail with a beautiful view as a top. A challenge, but not too steep. Hiked with a toddler in backpack and didn’t have trouble.

East overlook out had the best view. Incredibly buggy

Great hike today but very crowded, most people had dogs, most not on leash. Very buggy. At the parking area, head to the right onto an old lugging road that you will follow about a mile. Easy hiking. No additional trail markings until you get to the Copple Crown trailhead kiosk in about a mile (on the way - 1st junction take a left. After the kiosk there will be another unmarked junction, go right (don’t miss this turn on your way back). Some elevation in the last mile but there are switchbacks. As people have said the East Peak has great views and a place to sit and eat lunch. Don’t miss the Summit though with its great views of Winnepausaki and mountains to the north.

recorded Copple Crown Mountain

It’s a very fun challenging climb. The East peek is definitely way better then the summit. Great View!

recorded Copple Crown Mountain

Beautiful day for a hike today. Arrived a little before 9 am. There were only two other cars parked there and one arrived after me yet I encountered no one in the way up. The first two miles or so weren’t much of an in-cline, took my time getting up as I took my bird photos. Once you reach the inclination the trail becomes more beautiful and you are met with a perfect challenge for a spring morning. Got pretty warm around midnight 60s by the time I got to the East Peak, and it was amazing to sun bathe and rest there with no one else around. You can go to where it says Summit, but I don’t recommend it if you want to save your energy since it is not much of view. The East Peak is breathtaking.

Did this 1.5 weeks ago - good, solid hike. Majority of hike is flat, maybe last 1-1.5 miles is truly uphill. No scrambling. Nice views at very top - summit views are more impressive, but the other face has more room to spread out and sit. If it’s been raining and you don’t have 4 wheel drive, you may want to park at the outdoor community center down road (about 1 mile from trailhead). Parking lot is officially down a dirt road but rain had left fairly deep, large puddles that we were afraid of getting stuck in.

Easy trail. Dirt road to the parking lot. Good views at east point (sign near the summit) summit views are slim.

Great family Spring hike with teenagers and dog. Make sure to hit both summits. Also can catch Mt Washington view about 1/4 mile from top through trees in spring before the foliage hits.

A very nice hike, with enough elevation change to make it more than just a walk in the woods. We saw just one other person on a beautiful early spring Wednesday. The trail is well-marked once you leave the old road. The more open views at the top are from East Peak, but we saw multiple views through the trees of a snow-covered Mt. Washington as we went up and then down the trail. The total hike was 6.3 miles and took us about 3 hours with a break for lunch.

This trail was a blast to hike. It begins by following a snowmobile trail (easy, relatively flat trail) before becoming solely. a hiking trail. There was minimal mud, trail was marked well, and I passed a total of 6 people throughout my entire trip. The views from both peaks are great, although East Peak definitely has the better.