Circuit of Eastern Belknap Range

Circuit of Eastern Belknap Range is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alton, New Hampshire that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This is a great and challenging hike. Did the full 10 miles with my wife and dog yesterday. I'd recommend bringing a map with you because you'll be changing trails frequently, and some trails, especially the white trail, are not marked very well. ALSO: Check yourself and your pets VERY thoroughly for ticks, we've found almost 20 on the 3 of us since last night.

I came here with my older sister and my dog, expecting to hike the full 10 miles but we ended up taking the wrong trail down from the summit of Mount Major but it was definitely worth it. We took the boulder trail up to the summit and it had a breathtaking view of lake Winnepesaukee (probably not spelled right). Our 10 year old dog enjoyed the hike every step of the way and she was leading us the whole time. I would really recommend this hike to anyone because the view from Mount Major is well worth the hike to the top.

I messed up thinking I was crossing Quarry Trail. I was confused by dashed line not appearing under the second loop on all trails map, indicating a TRAIL, so I thought I was continuing on the orange section that was not the easiest and not travelled (not so much a trail) just prior to hitting Quarry Trail. I started at noon but if I started a little earlier, perhaps I wouldn’t have bailed on the extra 4mi and elevation gain. I was attempting both loops CCW not figure 8. Great weather. Nice time. I will return to get this right. Printed map, from website, showed Quarry Trail as dashed, not sure if it would read Quarry Trail if I had zoomed in further, red trail on map does not match dashed trails exactly. I had used iPhone to guide me thru the hike and when I reached junction of orange/Quarry, I zoomed in but no dash and no trail name on screen.
In addition to pink (Cucuit), no dash and no trail name on zoomed map on iPhone-I was recording the track and when I went 20-50ft “right” on the Quarry Trail and you can see my track (red) is perpendicular to the pink giving further indication that I was supposed to cross the Quarry Trail not take it. This was only the second hike I used All Trails and recorded the track. More prep time and planning might have eliminated any doubts at that intersection.

This is and all day hike, food & extra water. Parts are very quite except around Mt. Major. Once past this area you won't see more than 2 0r 3 other hikers. Some areas are steep and rocky others are gentle in a forest setting. This is part of the Belknap Redlining Patch Program. 66 MILES AND 15 PEEKS, IT WAS A great TIME ....

Monday, December 26, 2016