Hiked with my 6 and 10 year olds.

I did not consider this a moderate hike and found it quite easy. Neither of my kids found it difficult either. The only "steep" sections are found in the staircase around the falls and these are short.

The trail is about a mile to the falls and is fairly flat with a gradual incline. There is a stream crossing immediately after the trailhead we managed in the rain to avoid getting wet.

You've reached the falls when you hit a fork in the trail with a sign. The right continues on to Mt. Chocurua and the left heads towards the falls. They meet again after the falls to create a loop. I would avoid the loop by going up and down the staircase. If you head up the left the first or second side trail leads to a wide waterfall with a huge squarish bolder in the middle of the stream. Keep heading down the gorge another 200' to see a tall 50' waterfall. There is also a cut out in the canyon with a large overhang in which you can shelter. We ate lunch here out of the drizzle and dried off our gear.

Although we come to summit Chocorua this was a nice plan B. Had conditions been better and we summited I probably would have by passed the falls and missed out completely.