Champney Falls Trail

Champney Falls Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Conway, NH: Travel 11.5 miles west on Kancamagus Highway (SR 112) to a parking area. Trail begins there.

Champney in the winter was great. Enjoyed seeing ice climbers at the falls and crossing the river over ice bridges. My dog had a blast!

I have been here a few times and love it. Easy hike with a fabulous, unique waterfall. If you stick your head under the skinny falls you'll have a memorable experience, (ask my husband!).

This was a fun hike, trails are well maintained and blazed, until you get about 200 yards from the summit and the blazes are on rock and rather hard to find but makes for a fun climb. would rate it as moderate.

Nice

Nice hike. Not as scenic as I expected but worth doing.

The hike was easy and short but no good views

Gorgeous hike with unusual falls. It was quite busy when we hiked it Memorial Day weekend. Two adults, an 8yo, a cranky preteen, and 2 dogs (one old lady dog who rode part of the way in a backpack) all made it—but it took us longer than I’d have liked.

Nice trail, that is pretty easy most of the way. The loop section up and around the falls is a bit steeper. The best views of Champney and Pitcher falls were below this last section of loop trail anyway. Falls are pretty but not spectacular. Perhaps they are better in the spring when more water is in the streams.

Hiked with my 6 and 10 year olds.

I did not consider this a moderate hike and found it quite easy. Neither of my kids found it difficult either. The only "steep" sections are found in the staircase around the falls and these are short.

The trail is about a mile to the falls and is fairly flat with a gradual incline. There is a stream crossing immediately after the trailhead we managed in the rain to avoid getting wet.

You've reached the falls when you hit a fork in the trail with a sign. The right continues on to Mt. Chocurua and the left heads towards the falls. They meet again after the falls to create a loop. I would avoid the loop by going up and down the staircase. If you head up the left the first or second side trail leads to a wide waterfall with a huge squarish bolder in the middle of the stream. Keep heading down the gorge another 200' to see a tall 50' waterfall. There is also a cut out in the canyon with a large overhang in which you can shelter. We ate lunch here out of the drizzle and dried off our gear.

Although we come to summit Chocorua this was a nice plan B. Had conditions been better and we summited I probably would have by passed the falls and missed out completely.

Great trail. We walked with our 7 and 5 year olds and a toddler in a carrier. It took us almost 5.5 hours as we walked super slow and made a lot of stops along the way. We lost the trail twice - near the same location on the way there and back but found the trail again quite easily. I highly recommend.

Fun trail, definitely some moderate spots. Be careful as the blazes are not always evident.

Easy with quick beautiful views. Cool water to enjoy. Kid friendly.

Family friendly relatively easy hike to the falls. I did this with nine people and it took about three hours including the time we spent at the falls. Gorgeous views from the top of the waterfall. We tried doing the loop portion to also check out piper falls but the path barely looked like a path so we had to head back the way we came in. I'd definitely recommend this hike to anyone of any skill level.

It was worth it. The brook seemed too dry at first, so I was anticipating that I'd be unimpressed. But the forest let light in in a way that made the trail compelling for photography and it was not too difficult a hike. I did not meet too many people on the way up which gave me enough time for picture taking at the end of the trail where the falls are. The gorge that makes up the end of the trail had a nice balance of light and shadows for photography even though the falls themselves were rather dry.

Went today for the first time. With my two children 11 and 13 years old, our dog and a family friend. We all had a great time. However some spots were very steep and rocky. Had to be very careful not to slip. Very well marked trail and lots of other people hiking. Well worth the $5 park pass, we will be doing this one again.

it is a little muddy but good hike. we went about 9am and was buggy but not super buggy. if not a hiker like us will take a while, but what's the rush.

Great hike, rocky in places and muddy. Make sure to wear hiking boots. Did this hike early evening. Bug spray is a must. Nice hike to work up an appetite

Really nice trail with lots of little swimming holes and waterfalls. A little muddy in spots. There are a few streams and simple obstacles to cross but a pretty easy hike for couch potatoes. This is a popular trail and the parking lot fills up.

Bring a pencil and $5 cash for the parking fee. Don’t forget bug spray!

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Great day on the trail, all alone 34* F sunny/lite wind. Trail was well packed.

Monday, January 29, 2018

Great day! Snow shoed in and watched ice climbers. Everyone there had a great day. Jan. 28th felt like a spring day!

Sunday, January 21, 2018

great winter hike. plowed parking lot. packed trail so micro spikes were fine. nice gradual climb. this time of year I would suggest taking the spur to the falls on the way up. the steps near the falls are really icy. much easier climbing up than down. great day about 90 minutes round trip

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Great trail, the snow had been packed down by the recent rain and freeze, and we were able to hike it without any trouble. The falls are stunning this time of year! I’ll be returning the next time we have some snowfall to experience the snow covered trees. I’d highly recommend this trail. Short but beautiful!

Friday, December 22, 2017

I did this trail in early November and I wasn't expecting much in terms of scenery but BOY was I wrong. The waterfall is beautiful and seems to just keep going and going as you climb from its base to the top. Highly recommend this hike. Note: It was muddy in places at that time of year and the blazes are a little more spread apart than usual. Almost got lost but remembering what you saw on the way to the falls helps a lot on the way back.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Lovely for an early winter hike. Not too steep so the iciness was manageable although crampons probably would have been safer

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

beautiful trail in October 2917. good first day, warm up trail.

Monday, October 16, 2017

nice falls, not that many views, overall nice afternoon hike.

Thursday, October 05, 2017

Will have to pay for a park pass (display in window) $5. Dogs allowed. We kept our two on leashes but a few were off leash. Waterfall didn't have much water running down it, but the trees were all turning colors (Beginning of October) which made for a beautiful moderate hike. We decided to continue to the top of Mt chocorua (another 2.1 miles-for more EXPERIENCED hikers- very steep and rocky all the way to the top) for a BREATHTAKING view.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Best in May/June.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

I loved it! The easy one, just be careful on the top, it was very slippery because of wet leaves.