Champney Brook Trail to Mount Chocorua

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(327)
White Mountain National Forest

Champney Brook Trail to Mount Chocorua is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Conway, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,244 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Long cascading waterfall with many small pools - best in spring and early summer. Easy trail ascend through hardwoods and along brook. You will have some small steep sections but overall this trail is easy - an excellent hike with kids and dogs. The waterfall is very beautiful but is best seen in the spring and early summer when the water is running best. It tends to dry up in the late summer and fall. This might be a good winter hike.

Did the hike 5/28 and it was absolutely beautiful. The first part of the hike leading to the falls was pretty easy without much climbing. Once you start hiking towards the actual mountain however, elevation increases quickly and the trail would be considered as being “hard”. Once you’re climbing to the summit, there’s a lot of flat, exposed rock that you climb. As someone with a pretty bad fear of heights, this was definitely a mental challenge for me. There are great places just off the trail where you can also see remarkable views if this is a problem for you. However once you get to the top, beautiful views of mt. Washington and surrounding! As a beginner, it was very doable and rewarding!

Relatively easy trail, with a fun, scenic scramble at the summit. The summit can be tricky if you have dogs (my friend had to hold my dog while I climbed the last small stretch of the summit solo). Would definitely hike it again!

A great day into the woods and then to the summit. Despite the covid challenges, this is one of the most crowded trails I’ve done during these two months period. Most people didnot even wore a mask. It would be nice if people wore mask for their sake and others too when approaching busy area cause at some places we cannot maintain the 6 feet distancing, nt even 3 feet. We shared the summit with 50 or more people. There were no any traces of snow but some parts were pretty muddy. Hiking poles definitely would help the steep climb. The last 30 minutes were the moat challenging one. I literally climbed on four limbs lol. But the view after the climb is very very very worth it. It was windy and chilly, no bugs throughout the trail fortunately. I’d love to come back again.

It was one of the beautiful yet challenging hikes ever done! The trail starts with three brooks on the way. The first few miles until Champney falls is an easy trail, then it starts getting steep, rocky, and coarse. It was around 50 degree Fahrenheit, when we hiked and need not had to use bug spray. It’s lil muddy at some places, but the trail is in a good shape. The last few miles to the summit is quite intimidating. I literally had to crawl to climb the summit as the wind was strong. The 360view from the top is indescribable, you have to be there to witness it. Also, it’s heavily trafficked and were seen only few people following COVID safety guidelines. So early hike would be the best option. It was around 12, when we reached at the summit and it was already packed with the avid hikers. Amidst the heavy traffic, we still were managed to find a good spot to get our delicious lunch. It took around 7 hrs to hike the train (out and back). A good pair of hiking shoes would definitely help you a lot. Overall, it was definitely a hell of an experience.

Just wondering if someone wants to make a loop, on the way back taking Beeline and Bolles trails, how long is the total distance? And for an average hiker what is the estimated time? And is it worth it? Thanks.

This was such a great hike with amazing views! The first mile and a half or so is pretty flat and then gets pretty steep in the middle and the last half mile or so when you're above tree line is a lot of climbing/scrambling up rocks but the view is so worth it. We got there at 8am on a Sunday and didn't encounter many people until we got to the top but on our way down there were a lot of people coming up and the parking lot was full with people parked on the side of the road at around 1. Very few people wore masks but they were all polite. There were no bugs either which was great!

Views unlike any other for this duration/elevation. Slippery but safe as long as you wear proper shoes. The bugs were nasty though and I needed DEET all day long. No microspikes needed. I wore a mask and practiced social distancing, which others in turn respected but very few others with masks. 10/10 would recommend. 7.2 miles 4 hours total for me.

Beautiful trail! Super clear, did not see any snow, although I did happen upon a few snowmen. Great place to discuss the merits of personal hygiene. Do not eat any berries you see, they (might be) poison, but tasty.

fee

Trail is in great shape, for the season. Mostly dry conditions, a little snow and ice here and there, but it's all so easily avoidable as to not need micros. Be prepared for bugs, though. I used a bug net for my head, and 40% DEET ointment, which did just fine. Bring sunscreen as well.

I've hiked this trail a few times and I can't recommend it enough. You'll constantly find new sights to take in. Make sure you bring enough water for this hike. Heard a few hikers complaining about water before even reaching the first summit. You'll be spending a lot of time in direct sunlight, so sunscreen is pretty key, too.

icy

Hiked mount chocorua on 5/20/20. Beautiful day. The waterfalls were very full and not too far off the main path. A definite must. The view from the top was spectacular. High visibility no clouds. Clear view of mount Washington. Trail was 7.6 miles and took me about 5.5 hours. With breaks at the top. The trail still had a decent amount of snow. Some parts were decently deep. Very slippery on the way down so watch your step.

I just hiked it today (5/24/20). It's beautiful this time of year. After the first 4.5km, you'll run into some snow on the trail but it's easy to step around (you don't need micro-spikes). The second half is also a bit muddy with all the melting snow. I'd recommend taking a trekking pole to help you dance around the mud/snow. It took me 1.5 hours to get to the top of Mt. Chocorua. On the way down I did the Middle Sister and the falls. About 4 hours door-to-door (including breaks and some exploring).

This was a great hike! Done on 5/21/20. There was some snow at the top, but we did it without spikes with no problem. This trail is a steady climb with no extremely steep parts. The hardest part is the very top, but is worth the amazing view if you go to the highest rock! Trail was in great condition. Friendly hikers. STUNNING view from the top. Only bad part was that the pike and chimney falls trails are marked the same color at the top. We ended up going down the wrong trail and ending up on the wrong side of the mountain. Luckily someone gave us a lift, otherwise it would’ve been a rough 10 mile walk! Overall, beautiful mountain. One of my new favorites.

icy

The 1st third is easy going, nice footpath. Middle 3rd was steeper and had some mono rail snow/ice. Micros only needed for a short section (but you could get by without them). Upper section has some standing water spots in the flat areas, but over the best part of the hike. The work is over and the summit is in sight! Very windy typical up there! Have fun! We stayed at Jim Liberty Cabin (conformed open by Saco Rangers) then descended Friday (today). Parking lot was packed Thursday and even more so on Friday. We saw Maddy the person who left a trip review just before me!