Cathedral Ledge via Bryce Path Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(134)
Echo Lake State Park

Cathedral Ledge via Bryce Path Trail is a 1.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 603 feet Route Type: Out & Back

You can also walk down the paved road from the overlook if you'd like.

We really enjoyed this trail. It was not a long hike for a great view, but definitely had some really challenging parts, for us. After steep parts it levels off for nice cool down areas.

Took the yellow trail up to Cathedral Ledge. Nice hike with a couple rocky scrambles - one about .6miles in and an easier one as you approach the top. Took the road down which made it much easier!

We took the paved road up and loved the views at the top! Bring bug spray!

My boyfriend and I did this hike when it was about 85 degrees out, and we’re not experienced hikers. Took us about an hour to get to the top due to frequent stops, but the views are amazing! On the way down we used the gated road. Honestly a little hard on the knees, as it’s pretty steep most of the way. Might even be slightly easier to take the trail back down. Amazing hike/area nonetheless.

Beautiful view from the top!

A good hike. A bit buggy in the beginning and a little steep at times, but I definitely recommend it! My dog enjoyed it as well!

nice, short hike. road to the vista was cllseso i climbed up the traild and walked back down along the closed road. The 180° view is excellent and expansive. Early-late afternoon would be the best time as the main view is north and west. In the lower parts of the trail there were an unbearable amount of mosquitos.

This is the dog friendly and knee friendly version. Echo Lake is not dog friendly but you can oark in Cathedral Ledge Road. From the summit come down the road (gate is closed this time of year, yay!) so it’s a gentle and knee friendly descent. Awesome!!

Great hike. Did 2.8 mi. In 2.5 hrs with lunch on top. Some pretty steep parts and sketchy stairs but an amazing view of cathedral ledge, Cranmore, and Echo Lake. A perfect lunch spot. No crowds because the road up still closed. Getting a little buggy but not bad yet.

We hiked this on 2/29/2020 on a nice cold, but sunny day. The trail starts off very flat as you skirt the lake. The snow was fully packed so bare boots was okay for the low areas. But once it starts to climb, the trail was very icy and spikes were needed.There is a steep section with 2 small sets of stairs, one with no railing and a bit of rock scrambles. These were difficult, even with spikes. It levels out for a bit after this and then has another good incline close to the top of the ledges. Spikes were fine going up this area, but it was very slick coming back down. View from the ledges was nice, but a little disappointing that you never really get to see the ledges and the ice climbers on this trail. Coming back down the area with the wooden stairs was very sketchy. We took it very slow but were glad to be past that area on the way down! I don't think I would do it again in winter without either crampons or ropes to help navigate getting back down.

icy

Hiked on 2020-02-23. Packed snow with a couple icy sections. Lovely view from the top. Microspikes is recommended, with poles. Not good for dogs right now.

2/24/2020 Moderate to difficult hike to the summit, about 1 hour. The packed snow was granular, loose and icy in spots. Micro spikes and poles were needed. I would recommend going up Bryce Path and not down Bryce. We continued our hike over to White Horse. White Horse was steep at times but snow conditions were good. 35 mins from Cathedral Ledge to the summit of White Horse. Made the loop back to the base of the Auto Road, 5.5 miles, total hike 3 hrs 40 mins, including a half break at the summit of Cathedral Ledge.

First time doing this hike. They just fixed up the path and it was easy to stay on path but at points it is very steep rock or wooden steps your climbing up. I didn’t go back down path I ended up going down road. My little dog had troubles making some of jumps up so I thought down would be tough. I had to carry her at times, but she is only 20 pounds. Was really nice and worth it though!! Very beautiful morning on the top!

Beautiful view but two very steep and rocky inclines. We went late fall so leaves and ice made it difficult.

Great hike. Two challenging area's but nothing a short water break didn't fix. Not hiking all summer is what made it a challenge. worth the views at the top.

Update on trail closure for Bryce Path. Per New Hampshire State Parks Bryce Path with be closed from Bryce Link to the top of Cathedral Ledge beginning on Tuesday, October 1st through Friday, October 11th for trail repairs and upgrades. In addition there will no access downhill from Cathedral Ledge or Whitehorse Ledge Trail (from the top trailhead). The crews began building rock stairs on the steep pitch that need to be completed.

Per New Hampshire Stated Parks Bryce Path with be closed from Bryce Link to the top of Cathedral Ledge beginning on Tuesday, September 17th through Friday, September 27th for trail repairs and upgrades. In addition there will no access downhill from Cathedral Ledge.

challenging hike but the views are worth it

fun trail would recommend just use bug spray first

Poor signage for trailhead and first 1/4 of the trail; but worth it, just need to stay on GPS route.

Great hike if you only have an hour or two. Definitely some challenging climbs on the way up and down. Great views at the top !

We hiked DOWN today and were picked up at the bottom and driven back up to the top to get our car by a friend. Good hike, regular markers that were easy to follow. Pretty steep with lots of rocks/roots in some areas and it was slippery due to dry pine needles. Did this with a 2 and 6yo. My little one kept slipping and was having trouble with the steepness. My oldest was fine. Put my 2yo in the pack and carried him down about 3/4 of the distance because it was too hard for him. I was ok carrying him but there were several places I chose to sit and sort of slip over a rock(s) to make sure my footing was solid in rocky/steep areas. We enjoyed it, but not an easy walk with little kids.

Great short hike, reward-to-work ratio is pretty hard to match- you can summit in under 25-30 minutes and be back down in 20. One blowdown that’s easy to navigate through. Personally- the outlook was better than the ledge views. Sad that there needs to be a fence here, but plenty of people pack around the ledge itself.