Cascade Brook Trail to Lonesome Lake

Cascade Brook Trail to Lonesome Lake is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,250 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

bridge out

Amazing path, but today it was too wet and slippery. We gave up middle of the way. Next time

bridge out

Amazing waterfall views!!! Very rocky for a good amount - like walking solely on round river stones. There is a bridge that is completely out, requiring two rocky river crossings which I (a complete amateur) didn’t find to be that bad. 2019 WARNINGS: It is IMPORTANT to note that both the trail map shown here and the title are WRONG. This is NOT just the “Cascade Brook Trail” (White) - the lower part is he “BASIN Cascade Trail” (Blue). ALSO: Trail signage is bad. When descending (From Lonesome Lake) - stay on WHITE trail. IMMEDIATELY after first river crossing, turn left and continue down BLUE trail to “Basin Cascade trail”. THIS IS NOT INDICATED IN SIGNAGE. You will be following blue trail along brook (and making one more river crossing) to the Basin. so be aware - map is wrong too - you will pick up the Basin Cascade Trail AFTER crossing - not before it as the map here shows. Also note that at one point (while descending) trail makes a sharp 90 degree left turn. FOLLOW WHITE MARKERS. (If not paying attention - looks as though the trail continues straight at this point)

Great Hike, not for children if doing entire trail.

Pretty easy trail up to the Lonesome Lake Hut. Trail conditions were good with no blow downs, very few muddy spots.

bridge out

I took this trail going down from Lonesome lake. have to say, this was challenging, but beautiful. you go down along the Brook. there was a bridge that no longer exists so you need to be smart about finding the right point to cross to the other side. otherwise, it was a gorgeous trail

bridge out

Amazing trail. Two creek crossings. Water levels are high, but the first creek you can jump rock to rock and get across. Second creek the bridge is gone, you can also find a spot to rock hop, but it might be easiest just to take off your boots and walk across in the shallow areas. If you go upstream a little ways from the missing bridge there might be more opportunities to rock hop across. After the second creek crossing it gets muddy up to the lake. The lake is amazing. Had a great time. It was fun navigating a way to cross the creeks. The hardest part was getting the dog to cross the creek as currents were strong. This trial is well marked and a highlight of our trip to this area of the park.

Wed Oct 17 2018

Hiked this Oct 16, 2018. Definitely worth the hike! Very muddy and had to cross the waterfalls twice (had to take my shoes off on the way up, figured it out on the way down) definitely NEED boots to make this. You’ll slip in sneakers. Only a few steep areas closer to Lonesome, otherwise very steady incline and fair to my knees on the way down. Lonesome was very cold so pack some winter gear for when you’re trying to enjoy the views :)

Wed Oct 10 2018

Definitely a moderate- hard trail for beginner hikers. Parked at the basin and followed the blue trail for about 1.4 miles up to the river (Bridge is down so be careful crossing) There were a lot of roots and wet rocks along the way, be careful! Had a 1yr old black lab who had some difficulty crossing the river with the running waters but we got him across. Once you reach the river, cross and then follow the white marks up to lonesome lake (it’s about 1.3 miles up after crossing the river). Pretty strenuous getting up there, lots of rocks and wet bridges. We only made it halfway up to lonesome lake before having to turn due to time (didn’t want to be lost in the woods after dark!) we’ll have to come back and try again!

Sun Oct 07 2018

Awesome trail with with gorgeous scenery. We parked at the Basin and followed the blue trail (I think it was the Pemi trail) along the rocky river and stream. We crossed a river and we headed up the white trail where it took us towards Lonesome lake. The 0.8 mike stretch to the lake was strenuous (I’m not in that great of shape), lots of rocks, mud, and water. Definitely bring a good pair of boots...gym sneakers won’t cut it. Once at the lake the trees were beautiful and we had a picnic lunch. We took the descent via the yellow trail down to Lafayette campground and followed the bike path back to the Basin. Banged out almost 9 miles! Would definitely do this trail again. Highly recommend!

Mon Sep 17 2018

After you cross the river for the second time, the blue dot to lead your way is no longer there but the path is pretty obvious where to go. Muddy in spots. Crossing the river can be difficult depending how high the water is as there is no bridge. The view of the lake is beautiful but a long hike for a small lake. Still worth the trip.

Sat Sep 08 2018

Very beautiful hike as you’re next to the waterfalls for a good chunk of the time. Definitely very muddy and very rocky. I’d suggest bringing extra socks. I’m not an avid hiker at all but this was totally doable with my 6 and 8 year old nephews. We had a bunch of falls on the way down as it’s easy to catch your foot in the roots or slip on the rocks. The trails weren’t very well marked, especially when having to cross the river a couple times. Download this map or use GPS for sure. Lonesome Lake at the top was stunningly beautiful. Please don’t feed the ducks, though! People are clearly feeding them, because they swim right up to you. The hut was nice at the top but they don’t serve hot food until dinner time. I’d recommend this to anyone. Bring your trekking poles and good, sturdy boots.

Thu Sep 06 2018

I loved this trail. I came back to New Hampshire for Labor Day after leaving in early 2017. I didn't have a lot of time so I finally decided on this one. Some of the markings on the trail can be a little confusing. At one point I ended up about 0.5 miles off course but got back on pretty fast. The river crossings weren't bad at all when I was there though I'd suggest packing some water shoes. The hut was super cool. I will say that I think a lot of people underestimated the trail. I'd get an early start and bring proper gear. I saw large families getting started when I finished, some wearing flip flops and being unprepared. If you go around lonesome lake I believe it was an extra 0.8 miles (or 1.6, I can't remember).

Sat Jul 14 2018

The Cascade Brook was a great trail! The view from the lake was spectacular!! I’d have preferred to have hiked the Basin Trail up or down and used the Cascade Brook to make it a loop (instead of Cascade to Lonesome Lake). The Pemi Trail to and from the Basin Parking Lot wasn’t as well maintained, which was fine, but it was close to the interstate so that made for a less enjoyable section of the hike. Overall, great views with lots of swimming holes plus plus an AMC hit at the lake.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Great trail with beautiful waterfalls along the way. I didn't find crossing the brook to be too difficult. The trail gets much steeper as you're climbing up towards Lonesome Lake but the views once you get there are well worth it.

Mon Aug 07 2017

Great day hiking moderate trail which offers views of waterfalls. You will also traverse across the river and you can take a dip in one of the many swimming holes. At the top will come to Lonesome lake where you can go for a swim and just relax. Lonesome Hut is at the top and it offers snacks and hot drinks for sale. There are also bathroom facilities available. The hut also has lodging for those who are trekking.

Mon Jul 03 2017

I hike the second half of this trail, jumping on it after Basin Cascade Trail to continue up to Lonesome Lake. Since the bridge it out and the water was high, crossing the river wasn't easy...especially with a dog. But, with balanced footing and a solid harness on our pup we managed to get to the other side! The previous days of rainfall made for a muddy hike with slipper rock scrambling. Trail is well blazed, though, so we were thankful for that.

Sun Jun 04 2017

I think this trail- all the way to Lonesome Lake Hut, mind you- should be rated "hard" in my opinion and I've done lots of hiking. Lots of thick roots for long stretches made it slippery and dangerous after rains. Once you got to the end of the Cascade Brook trail of this outlined route, you have to cross this very swift river on foot ( 1 of 2 unmarked crossings). The most obvious way across to the return of trail is very treacherous. Beware after rains. The next section of the trail is almost a straight mile of uphill, nonstop rock scrambling that is very slippery and wet after rains. I'm glad I did it- the lake was beautiful- but I would not do it again.

Thu Oct 06 2016

A beautiful hike withy husband and dogs. A very solid moderate hike with a lot of opportunity for twisted ankles - definitely wear boots for this one.

Mon Jul 25 2016

We hiked up Cascade Brook trail to Whitehouse trail back via Pemi trail. Today (7/25/2016), the water was low enough to get across the brook. Only hike with boots bc there are lots of roots on the trail to twist an ankle or fall plus all trails had water and mud. Pemi trail was the worst (mud and sloppy terrain for over 1/2 of trail). All 3 of us enjoyed the trail.

Tue May 17 2016

This is a beautiful trail with the brook beside you the whole way. Sadly, the bridge is still washed out and crossing the brook was treacherous at any point due to high spring water. Pack a spare pair of socks! We thought it was fun to rock hop across. Some people chose to make their own way up beside the brook in the 0.5 mile stretch that was off trail. Just staying beside the brook keeps you oriented. We went up to Lonesome Lake Hut and rested for lunch, used the facilities, and then came down quickly via Lonesome Lake trail and the Pemi bike path. This was a muddy path in spring, dress accordingly.

Sun Aug 16 2015

It's beautiful. We started at the Lafayette Campground and hiked all the way to the Lonesome Lake then we took this trail back to the Basin where the car was. It's muddy and slippery being next/on the Cascade Brook. If you start at Lonesome Lake and you are following the white tracks when you get to Pemigewasett river , DO NOT CROSS the river, just start following the blue tracks on the left (PEMI trail and it will lead you to the Basin. DOGS: We also had the dog, he's a small dog and this trail is for bigger ones (we had to pick him up half way and carry him).

Fri Aug 14 2015

Awesome trail with beautiful views at the top. Well worth the moderate hike. We parked at the basin and made our way to the Cascade brook trail. The trail starts off with lots of tree roots so you have to watch your step because it is easy to twist an ankle. As you make your way up, the trail becomes very rocky, so again you have to watch your step or there goes the ankle. The bridge half way up was washed out in 2012 so you have to cross the stream a bit further up. Easy to do when the water is low, not sure I try it when the water is high. All in all it was a great hike with awesome views of Lonesome lake, Cannon MT and the Franconia ridge.

Sun Jul 12 2015

Good trail! We cane from the cascade basin trail and then continued to lonesome lake trail, and then the pemi trail. It was great. A few steep inclines and it was moderate and a few river crossings, but a lot of fun and beautiful views.