Bondcliff Trail Via Lincoln Woods Trail

Bondcliff Trail Via Lincoln Woods Trail is a 22 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

long boring ascent. I like steep climbs much better. pretty good if you are a trail runner.

Started hike at 8am - Ended hike at 4:30pm. We only went to BondCliff. (See map!) So if you want to hike to mount bond, it will be another 1.2 miles from bondcliff. I've read there is nothing special about mount bound as far as scenery, so keep that in mind. Also, we brought our mountain bikes to ride the first 2.5 miles (especially if you want to do this hike in one day). Start earlier if no mountain bikes!! Once you get to the start of last portion of the Lincoln Woods Trail (1.9 miles) you will have to ditch your bikes and walk the rest of the way. We went off to the side of the woods and locked our bikes up. (There is a sign that no bikes are allowed after this point.) From this point up to bondcliff, it is a 5.9 mile hike. As soon as you get onto BondCliff Trail the incline starts, and increases dramatically before the switchbacks (around elevation 2600') and during switchbacks. I generally don't have issues with my backpack, but my back started aching around this incline, and didn't relent till reaching bondcliff. Keep in mind you also are crossing Black Brook four times after the start of the Bondcliff Trail. So if the water is high, make sure you note any signs of this before you start out, or it will be rather interesting crossing the brook all four times. Once you get thru the switchbacks (3600-3900') and your back is en fuego; is when you finally come above the tree line. This is where you have to scale a rather small rock area to finally get to Bondcliff. That rather nagging back issue dissolves once you take in the views from this point. All around stunning views and we had Bondcliff to ourselves. Summit was around 12:15pm (4 hrs and 15 min ascent) with small stops along way. Spent 45 mins up top, and started hike back down at 1pm. Got back to truck at 4:30pm (3.5 hr descent). Overall, loved the hike. Loved that we brought our bikes, cutting down on the hike time. This was an 8 hour hike; so plan accordingly if no bikes and wanting to hike to Mount Bond as this will increase your time on trail. Lastly, since you're walking this long...make sure you wear comfortable hiking socks as the descent increases the probability of blisters; plus your feet will thank you.
P.S. The rail trail at the very end of hike (1.9 miles back to bikes) tends to be L O N G in the tooth..it felt like there was no end in sight. We were so happy to know our bikes were waiting for us to finish the last 2.5 miles back to suspension bridge/truck.

I only give this hike a bad review because the day we did this hike my friend assured me that it was a easy hike and it should only take us a few hours. I like to believe that I am a well prepared person but I was very ignorant about it for this hike. The beginning section is flat for a few miles and then its a steady incline to the top with very strong winds and great views. This hike will take you several hours and make sure you bring enough water and food for this.

Did this as a one night backpack and stayed at Guyot. Gorgeous, exposed summits with some of the most unadulterated views in the Whites. Similar to the Franconia Ridge views but the road is out of site which is refreshing. Guyot was filled to the brim but the steward gave us the sense that they'll always squeeze campers in somewhere or another. One gripe I have with this trail is that the beginning stretch just runs along old railroad tracks. Flat and boring and when you're coming out with your gear and you're exhausted, it seems to stretch forever. Definitely stop for a dip at Franconia Falls. Crowded but picturesque and just a blast. If you mosey upstream a couple hundred yards there's a nice 15-20ft cliff you can jump off, which will be on your right side. Happy trails

Phisically a moderate hike in the sense that acept for a couple of spots the hike is easy but long. I packed in the night before to burn the fist five miles but to do it again .I would loose the weight and run in the day of. Great views worth the trip

We did this as part of the Pemi Loop and camped at the base of Bondcliff (200 ft off trail as required by WMNF). It's a flat walk along the river for a few miles into this trail and this trail is pretty challenging switchbacks up to Bondcliff but the views are well worth it! The ridge to Mount Bond is absolutely beautiful.

Note that the suspension bridge is no longer there over the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River so you'll want to take the Lincoln Wood Trail to access this trail. The second crossing of the Black Brook is the last sure water source.

most difficult backpacking trip yet.

Did this out and back in August 2015. We started at 7:30am and got back to parking lot at 8pm. Long day (20+ miles) We started from Lincoln woods trailhead and did Bondcliff and Mount Bond. We spent too long on top of both of these taking pictures/relaxing to be able to make it over to West Bond and back down to Lincoln woods before nightfall, will have to plan better if we do this one again.

Overall from Lincoln woods parking lot trailhead it's basically a flat 20 foot wide dirt road for first 3 miles until you get to the bridge, then still flat but less wide (4-6 feet) path for the next 2 miles until you make the left turn to head up Bondcliff trail. This is where the hike starts actually heading uphill, and is considerably more narrow. If you really want to cut down on this hike, I would bike the first 3 miles and lock up your bikes just past the bridge.

There is one easy "scramble" up near the summit of Bondcliff but nothing crazy at all. View on top of Bondcliff is probably top 3 view in NH. I personally like that this hike is less trafficked than say Lafayette or the Presidential range. Mount Bond also has a decent view, although obstructed on one side because of trees. But honestly, once you have been to top of Bondcliff, Mount Bond is nothing special.

If I were to do it again I think starting from the other side and hitting west bond first, mount bond, and then Bondcliff to end the hike is the way to go (save the best view for last), although I don't know off hand how far in from a trailhead it is to "start" with west bond.

We hiked to Bondcliff via the Zealand Trail. The views from Bondcliff were amazing. See link for photos.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Very hard! This was however my first overnight hike. We were attempting the three peaks. We only made it to Bondcliff. If your inexperienced I recommend either starting in the afternoon and camping at the base of the mountain after the the flats and going up early the next day. However we did find a stealth site very close to the alpine zone that was well used only because one of had to use the bathroom and realized that it would work just fine. We almost did not summit until we found that sight. We were able to set up camp leave the packs and finish up. We are as opposed to other hikers slow though. So most fit and experienced hikers probably have no problem going up and down in enough time.
We are experienced day hikers with our dogs at about a dozen or so 8 mile day hikes.
But important for you to know that while this trail is dog friendly just past the alpine zone is a very tough rock scramble that is more of a climb that our malamute's could not accomplish and their favorite part of hiking is the rock scrambles. So we had to take turns to the summit. So small dogs that can be carried up or incredibly agile dogs should do ok.
But it was by far worth it! One of the most beautiful views I've seen!

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Great trail with awesome views of surrounding Whites and terrain below!
Starts off with a couple miles of railroad bed from the lot to the main trailhead to Bond and Bondcliff.
The trail is a consistent forest climb comprised of a few small bridges and stone stair sections with a couple cutbacks before bringing you to a small mellow rock scramble which breaks you into alpine terrain for the last section to the open alpine summit.
The flat railroad trail back out can be the toughest part after exhausting yourself so stash some extra water at the trailhead on the way in or pack accordingly. Either way nothing a few beers and a good meal back in Lincoln can't fix!

Thursday, April 14, 2016