Learn more

Blueberry Pasture to Purple Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(48)
Major Mountain State Forest

Blueberry Pasture to Purple Loop is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,141 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail was great! The hike up wasn’t too steep. As there appeared to be lots of rocks and places where water likely flows after it rains so I would think this trail would be very slippery during wet weather. The way down was a little steep but nothing unmanageable. Some spurts where the bugs came out to attack. Near the end of the trail, there are signs saying cliff waterfall and route to the red trail. Unless you enjoy extreme rock climbing, take the route the red trail to get back to the parking lot. The cliff waterfall was not dog friendly and appeared to be a trail that went up another mountain. This trail was also much less crowded than Mount Major and we saw only a few hikers the entire time.

We hiked this June 25th! We went up the Blueberry Pasture trail which was very well maintained and pretty much a steady incline the whole way up. Reminded me of a road paved with rocks... It was fine. The way down was the Purple Loop and was extremely steep. My dog is pretty agile but I struggled. In my opinion, the Purple Loop was much more difficult and poorly marked. Most of the way down you’re following purple paint on the trees but then all of a sudden the purple stops and I thought we were lost. When you get to the bridge by the swamp, you’re almost out! It’s confusing because you start inclining again but that is the correct way. Now a comment on bugs- you’re in the woods.... wear plenty of bug-spray and you’ll be fine.

Bugs!!! Lots of them.

We loved this trail! It was beautiful and definitely worth the hike. Our dogs loved it and we only saw two groups of people the whole time so it was very light traffic! We took the original route on here, it was so scenic once you got to the top it blew us away. Definitely take bug spray, lots of water for you and the doggies because there aren’t water sources for them to drink from. Some of the trail is over grown or trees on them just improvise and go around. We followed the map on here the whole time and it was perfect.

Loved this trail! I’m fairly new to hiking but I love pushing my limits and this trail definitely did that. I followed the review recommendations of going backwards and hiking up the purple trail, up the waterfall, and looping through straightback mt and taking blueberry pasture loop back to the parking lot. The trail seemed easy to follow as everything was clearly marked. We did end up turning this hike into about 7 miles from taking 2 wrong turns, but nothing to worry about! If you start with purple and head to straightback mountain the map will have a “green” trail on the summit that leads to blue. NOTE: there are no green markers on the summit, but there are a trail of rock stacks to follow to get to blueberry once you hit the sign! I had to backtrack to figure this out as I kept following blue to mt major. Overall a great learning experience and workout!

We did the purple trail then came out through the blue. There are two blue trails at the top, and accidentally hiked over to mt major, so make sure you follow the correct trail. Easy to the markings on the actual trail.

A little steep coming down but a great workout in a couple hours time!

This is definitely a challenging "moderate" trail due to the purple Precipice path. I recommend going up the purple trail and down blue, purple is very steep and requires climbing hand over hand. Beautiful views all the way up. A great workout that I would do again.

I do not advise this hike to beginners. The way up was fine but we literally got so lost on the way down. The bugs were horrible. It was extremely steep and I even fell around 5 times... the trail was super confusing. We had to cross over half a dozen running water zones. Ended up calling 911 after hour 7..... thank you Gilmanton fire department!! If it wasn’t for you we would be out there still lost and scared AF... not naked and afraid!

Nice hike, beautiful views. Going back from Blueberry Loop to Purple Path was a little confusing as some of Purple Path wasn't marked very clearly. Very steep going down Purple Path. Lots of bugs but it's the woods so it's to be expected. Wear bug spray. I'd wear my bug hat screen next time as those suckers were relentless if you stopped moving. It was muddy but it had just rained the day before. Seems it wouldn't typically be muddy otherwise. Looking forward to doing it again! Also get there early (before 9:30-10am) so you can get a parking spot. Got there at 10:20am and the lot was full. Thankfully I was able to squeeze into a spot on the side with my small car.

This is a better less crowded starting point to get to Mount Major while hitting two (less scenic) peaks.

We did the precipice trail to the blueberry trail, it was very wet and slippery due to the recent rains. We made it with two dogs, with some lifting into boulders as we made our way up the falls. Much easier to go up precipice and down the other trails. Would not suggest blueberry trail very boring - basically a wide fire road full of loose rocks.