Big Ball Mountain Trail

Big Ball Mountain Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Melvin Village, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Starts in an unmarked parking lot and follows the Shaw Mt Trail until just after the start of the river. The trail breaks off and heads to the right and is marked with green and red or blue and red blazes.

Beautiful views start 3/4 of the way up. Great view of Dan Hole Pond. Recommend you go ALL the way to Big Ball peak where you must descend for 0.2 miles before the final climb to the peak. Lots of moose droppings. Great hike with great friends.

The trail parking for this is unmarked. It is a small area just passed sodom Rd on the left. The navigation I used from this app said it was on the right. logging has made a mess of the area and spurred off several paths... Once you enter walk up the logging road...after 100 ft give or take. The path starts to the right. As you walk it will look like the path goes right. stay on the logging road. You will come to a river on the left. Take a minute an enjoy it. It’s beautiful! There is even a little fire pit made out of rocks and a couple small waterfalls. Keep following the path. It will split and you can either go left (red blaze) or right (green/red blaze$ I went right ( followed the green/red blaze). The terrain is steep. Watch as you go up and follow the blazes. As the path went up, I was watching my footing and as the path veered left, (I missed that I need to go right and ended up having to back track after I started noticing small blue blazes) there is a small path entrance on the right is marked by two cairns, one on each side and from that point the blazes are very noticeable! The view was incredible and I had the place to myself. There is also another fire pit up there and I bet it is an incredible place to watch the sunset... But don't stop there get back on trail and follow the blazes to the actual summit :)

The trail was wet/damp in some spots, but avoidable.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017