Beaver Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke

Beaver Brook Trail to Mount Moosilauke is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

This winter hike was intense. I'd consider myself in shape, but we had to take regular breaks to manage fatigue. It's steep and uphill the entire way. We wore microspikes but probably could have done snowshoes to avoid falling through the fresh snow. The snow had blown off the summit so it was like walking on a frozen pond to the summit. Beware that the winds at the top can really whip. We even saw another group of hikers put on ski googles before ascending above tree line.

Since I'm rating the trail itself and not the mountain I give it 3 stars for winter. Too many people without snowshoes have hiked this and destroyed the snowy terrain. It took an incredible amount of time to descend because people without even spikes went down on the edges and dumped loose snow all over this steep descent. Every step was a careful and slow placement on the way down so I didn't tumble for a few hundred feet. I'm sure it's better without snow. If you're winter hiking you need snowshoes or spikes if the trail has iced over.

All that said the summit is awesome and I would do this again. The views are just amazing and worth all that frustration.

As an out of shape hiker, this was a challenging hike that was pretty much uphill all the way. The first 2 miles were rough and required a bunch of breather breaks, but the waterfall and peekaboo views were beautiful. There was lots of stepping up onto larger rocks and a few rebars to hold onto. Going up I knew going down was going to suck. After you hit the leanto and compost toilet, it gets easier in that there are less rocks to climb up. It’s still mostly uphill but there are some nice easy flat parts. Whoever said it was a stroll after the first two miles is ridiculous unless you’re incredibly in shape, but it is considerably easier than the beginning. Views at the top were amazing 10/10 would do again. Going down was good until the last 2 miles. Tired legs, weak thighs, and large steps down onto not flat rocks made it rough. Going down the last 2 miles was the worst for me. There are a few slippery areas near the water that have moss on them so be careful. Overall, totally worth it for my first 4,000 footer! Took us 3.5 hours up and 2.5 down I think.

Waterfall views were beautiful!!! Not as much foliage as I was hoping. On the way down encountered a brush fire across the way. All together an amazing hike with great views.

Love this trail. Straight up for the first 1.5 miles, then a nice stroll to the summit of Mooselauke. Beaver Brook Trail runs right next to some of the prettiest cascades in the Whites.

I hiked up via Beaver Brook about a month ago. It was our first 4000 footer and it took us 9 hours total including an hour rest at the summit and a few other rests along the way. The Trail was steep and difficult but very rewarding with plenty of waterfalls, as well as rocky terrain, new growth forest that smells like Christmas and mossy forest that looks enchanted. The summit offers some rock wall shelters for wind protection which we totally advantage of. Beautiful views and varied flora.

The first 1.4 miles was extremely steep and slippery. There are wooden block drilled into certain sections of rocks with some rebar hand guides to help with the first 1.4 miles ascent. It wasn't until you reached the Dartmouth College observatory that the trail finally began to get much easier. I would say that the first 1.4 miles is by far the hardest part of this trail. You also have to be aware that if you go up this trail you need to go back the exact same way, there is no easy trail that runs parallel for an easy descent. I would say that the descent was much rougher than the ascent. One last note and I can't stress this enough, after you have summited and you are going back down this trail it is very easy to get lost. The Bennett trail and the Beaver Brook trail merge at about 0.4 miles from the summit. The sign that indicates which is which is obscured. So if you are going down this trail the Beaver Brook trail turns right at the 0.4 mark. If you continue to go down, you are now on the Bennett trail. The Bennett trail has blue markings on the trees, if you see a blue marking turn around immediately. I wasn’t the only one who got lost and needed to back track, so be aware of this, and your day will be more enjoyable than mine was.

Sentier très difficile mais très beau! Pour les habitués seulement, et expérimentés! Le sentier débute doucement près de la chute, mais rapidement après le panneau d'avertissement du degré de complexité du sentier, le trouble commence..!

First two miles are some work, mostly careful footing, then flats to an absolutely gorgeous summit. Fun mountain.

Difficult all the way up to the hut but the fall views along the way are great places to catch your breath. Gets easier a little after the hut. I'm a fairly novice hiker, took us about 2.5 hours from trail head to top of the Moose and another 2.5 back. Will definitely hike again

The beaver brook trail is about 4 mi to the summit with the first 2 miles being extremely steep, slippery, and rocky (a sign warns you of this at the beginning) while the second half is considerably more moderate. You will be rewarded by the views at summit, they are absolutely incredible. One of my favorite summits!

Extremely steep most of the way up. Would not recommend for inexperienced hikers. Great views along the waterfall at the beginning of the hike.

Awesomely amazing views of cascading waterfalls along the trail. It is very slippery on the way up.

Went up Beaver Brook. Still a lot of snow & ice from 2500. Take spikes. Cascade is beautiful. A very demanding trail.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Completed this with a friend a couple of years ago. Definitely very challenging (there is a board at the beginning of the trail warning about this!) right off the bat, but does get better towards the end. Make sure you're knees are strong enough to descend down this trail, that wasn't easy at all.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The trail to Mt. Moosilauke is about 4 mi. The first half, is really steep, climbing along a brook with waterfalls. On the way back, the descent is arguably harder.
The 2nd half of the trail is much easier.
The last 1/4 mi is above the treeline, windy and freezing cold.

Friday, October 07, 2016

Beaver Brook trail is awesome and arduous. I took this trail up mount moosilauki. Its plenty steep. It has lots of steps and handholds to help on the tough spots. Its a nearly continuos waterfall for 2 miles. It is not for inexperienced hikers. It is well worth every step.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

Gorgeous challenging trail, it's actually one of the most difficult spots in the Appalachian trail. I wasn't prepared for how steep and difficult this was so I didn't complete it but am looking forward to going back and doing so in the future.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

an amazing trail and very challenging....a must!!!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Trail was beautiful and challenging. I brought my yellow Labrador with me and probably won't do that again. Some parts of the trail are very difficult and Fido liked to get drinks from the waterfall often. I had visions of piper accidentally slipping down the falls. The dog did great but it was a little nerve racking at times. We only hiked up to the beaver creek shelter. We passed a couple hikers doing the AT. They started in Georgia and been on the trail for 4 months. In all the hike was great and the waterfall provided some beautiful views to look at during the climb.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Difficult hike because of the steepness.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Extremely difficult. Do not do this trail with dogs. Did it today with two athletic dogs and they were struggling. Very steep and slippery. Do not attempt in the rain. Descent is much harder. Ran into lots of experienced AT hikers but on a rainy day even they were having a hard time.

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Very challenging trail up and down. We took it to the top of moosilauke. The falls are gorgeous! The view from moosilauke incredible

Monday, May 30, 2016

Very challenging hike. Bring bug spray and be prepared to do plenty of scrambling. The shelter is large, with a great view, has a few tent sites nearby and has a a stream nearby.
I personally would not attempt this trail if there was ice or snow.
Great views at the top of the mountain and most of the walk up is along waterfalls that could be a hiking destination on their own.
Pick a nice day, and do it.

Friday, February 12, 2016

An amazing day with my best friend! 7" of fresh snow, bluebird day, 35 degrees! Climbed without spikes up the snow covered gorgeous cascades climing the ladders and using handrails over the snowy terrain. Tagged Blue on the way, but could not located the canister. BEAUTIFUL up top and warm enough to take in the views. Spikes were helpful on the steep descent. LOVE THIS TRAIL!

Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Hiked this trail earlier today, first couple of miles were challenging but it slowly becomes more forgiving, great trail

Monday, June 30, 2014

Hiked up Beaver brook trail yesterday and It was absolutely beautiful and challenging the fist 1.9 miles but the cascading water falls running along the trail seem to ease the pain a bit. Once I reached the junction for the ridge train with 1.9 to go it really eased up and was a nice traverse the rest of the way. Then it opens up on the summit with amazing views.. I absolutely loved this hike.
I hike at a slow pace and it took me 4 hours to ascend and even though the first 1.9 of my descend only took me hour and 30 minutes the second half due to some tricky foot work was another 2 and 1/2 hours so for me taking time with the views and some breaks it was a 9 hour day and100% worth every step.

Friday, May 10, 2013

Just went their this past weekend. There was snow and ice almost from the start of the trail. It was a very challenging trail. I would love to go again minus the snow and ice.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Gorgeous, challenging trail up the side of the mountain beside a brook. Lots of cascades and steps attached to the sides of the rocks you're scaling. Good hand holds and everything is in good condition although the rocks are slippery if they're wet. We brought our two little dogs. One was fine with all the vertical but the older hitched a ride in my backback. The view at the top was well worth it. We headed down the AT going west/south and that trail wasn't as exciting.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

this one is very tough but very rewarding. plan to do this early as it took us more time than planned. I don't recommend bringing dogs or kids.