Learn more

Dam Road to Tupelo and Old City Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(231)
Beaver Brook Nature Center

Dam Road to Tupelo and Old City Trail is a 3.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hollis, New Hampshire that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 265 feet Route Type: Loop

Beaver Brook offers 35 miles of trails accessed by 10 different trailheads. There are trails near rivers, ponds, streams, and small waterfalls. There are trails that range from easy to moderate as the elevation gain is not great on any of the trails. There are trails for hiking, snowshoeing

It was awful. Skinny trails full of bugs and spiderwebs everywhere. Couldn’t wait to be done with it

Lots of mosquitoes so come prepared! Good hike otherwise.

Trail signs extremely easy to follow!

Great trail! A little harder than I was expecting in the beginning on the Turpelo trail but then it leveled out. Wish I had worn my hiking shoes rather than sneakers. Little muddy in spots, a lot of tree roots but very well marked. Looking forward to doing it again.

icy

1st mile and a half was rough for me but after that it was beautiful I love this trail

Awesome trail I did the pond loop trail and it was great I cannot wait to come back here in the summer The Rhododendrum‘s are going to be so sweet next year the trail around the loop is covered with them beautiful beautiful beautiful

We did this with our dogs on a sunny but cold day. Great hike through the woods. Starts off on a wide, dirt packed road but turns into smaller paths pretty quickly. Path has a few short bursts of inclines and smaller dips on the first 1/2 of the trail and rest of it is pretty flat. Trail is very well marked with a lot of other trails going off it, but if you follow the AllTrails map it is very easy to see where you need to go to stay on this trail. Can't wait to go back in the snow!

Beautiful wide trail! A bit buggy

Was pretty but it felt like I got bitten by a million mosquitos. I sprayed bug spray 6 times and it did not do anything!

Nice trail, not too many bugs, beautiful wildflowers near water, butterflies and dragonflies everywhere.

Mon Jun 24 2019

This is a lovely set of trails that meanders around a number of ponds, including (of course) one with several beaver dams. The inclines and declines are slight which makes it a nice, easy walk though the woods. The extensive amount of Mountain Laurel were in full bloom - absolutely glorious! The only negative was the black fly swarms that kept you company along the way. It was difficult not to breathe them in, reminiscent of the back woods of Maine in May... And sadly, not all visitors heed the signage to pick up after their dogs, even though bags and a trash bin are provided. Makes the rest of us dog walkers look bad.

Wed Apr 17 2019

Mon Apr 08 2019

definitely love it!

Wed Mar 27 2019

I got to the trail about 9 a.m. and there was only one other car there. The trail begins at the parking lot at 187 Proctor Road. There is another section of Beaver Brook on the other side of Proctor Road. There are maps at the trailhead kiosk on the right side of the parking lot. I went counter-clockwise by taking Dam Trail on the left side of the parking lot. It starts as a sloping dirt road that leads over a small earth-works dam to a trail sign marked, Tupelo, Old City and J.Smith. Take a left at the sign onto J. Smith Trail. It follows a creek with some nice micro falls. It was still icy the day I went, but you could work your way around the ice pretty easily. The trail is marked with yellow triangles. There is a sharp right onto Woodduck Pond Trail a little more than a half mile in. Follow the blue blazes for another half mile to Tupelo Trail on the left. You start to gain some elevation along this wooded trail. It's a pretty gentle rise. There were lots of birds and even a snake out sunning himself along this section. I also saw what I'd swear were moose tracks in the ice. Definitely too big to be a deer.; no droppings though, so I'm not sure. After a mile you come to a crossing with a sign reading; Tupelo, Rocky Pond Road and Old City Trail to Wildlife pond. The loop follows the Old City Trail, but take the short hike to Rocky Pond Road first. There's an old mill site down there with a really nice little waterfall and the mill ruins. Very cool! Head back along the OldCity Trail for about a mile. As you approach another dam, The Pond Loop is on the left. A beautiful hike around the pond on a well marked trail for less than a mile. There were a lot of ducks on the pond and many signs of beaver activity (three lodges). After the pond loop, bear right onto the Wildlife Pond Loop Trail back to the trailhead. I goofed and went up a gravel trail to the left and through a farm to Proctor road. I turned right at the road back to the trailhead. Oops. I'm not sure how accurate the mileage was on the All Trails print out and I took a few wrong turns because I didn't find the Beaver Brook Association map until I finished. A bit more than six miles I guess.

Sat Sep 01 2018

I loved this trail-it has something for most levels and an endless amount of trails to cover. We are not good at the map reading so we would have liked the markers to be a little bit clearer...other than that - super awesome! Update-went again today and trails we took were for the most part, clear. Awesome day once again!