Bear Mountain Trail

Bear Mountain Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bristol, New Hampshire that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a challenging trail. We parked by the courts at Panorama Ln and Bear Mountain Rd and trekked up the road to the trail head, which added about an extra mile each way. The road was mostly snow and ice covered heading up this morning, so I wore micro spikes, by the time we were leaving, most of the snow was gone. Most of the trail was snow covered at the beginning, so I recommend waterproof shoes or gaiters. The snow was about 14" deep in some spots. Once you're on the trail, it is an easy upward walk with two small creek crossing. Once you get to the 2/3 it turns to extremely challenging. It was almost straight up, this is where you gain the most elevation. There where points where I was climbing, not hiking, using my hands and feet. When you get to the final third, things start to level out and become easy again. The views are good the whole way up, but not great. You can see a lot because the trees are bare this time of year. When you reach the top there are several rock faces with small openings with glimpses of the views, mostly to the east of Newfound Lake. We saw bear and deer tracks, so come prepared with your preferred method of defense. If you have bad knees I would not recommend this hike. I would recommend for intermediate level hikers. I would recommend other hikes where you get more of a payoff at the top before this one, but if you are looking for a challenging hike I would say do this one. Good luck!

Hiked Bear Mtn Trail this morning w/my dog, although she peeled off 15 minutes into the first steep part. :) Out and back trip was a leisurely hour. Didn't see anything or anyone. View of N'Found Lake from the summit was blocked by leaves, sure it is better in other seasons. Peaceful hike. Grateful for the yellow trail blazes.

Bear Mt. Hebron NH
Approached from Bear Mt. trail off Bear Mt rd off West Shore Rd. First 100' or so of trail overgrown with berry bushes but OK to follw if you pay attention to yellow marked trees. Elwell trail just up the road a better entrance but just as steep overall. Bbear Mt. trail has better footing as it's rockier. View is just OK down to Newfound Lake. Only met 2 other hikers who came over from Sugarloaf and that was OK with me!

Technical terrain, great hike up.. connects from little sugar loaf as well. About a 3 mile hike from little sugar loaf to bear mountain.

Friday, June 23, 2017

Not good for kids very steep parts not well maintained

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Nice, quiet hike but not much for views from the top. I hadn't realized that I had reached he summit until I was on my way back down again.

Saturday, October 08, 2016

Nice family trail, not with toddlers. Got to see 2 bears in my way down. Very exciting.

Sunday, October 09, 2011

Although there are two trail heads for Bear Mountain (one just outside of Hebron town square) I decided to use the trail off of Bear Mountain Road. Just before the road forks the trail head is on the right. I don't know the distance or elevation at this point but it was a fairly easy hike, with some steepness to it, but not too bad. It only took 30 minutes or so to get to the top, and there are some great views of Newfound Lake.

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

I was looking for a short hike near to home when I found Bear Mountain. The trail head was easy to find off of Bear Mountain Road in Hebron, and the trail itself was easy to follow.

Although it was fairly steep in places, overall it wasn't too bad, and a great view to be had at the top.

Directions to trailhead: From Bristol, take US 3A North, then take a left onto West Shore Road. Continue right on West Shore Road when Caridgan Mountain Road branches off straight. Eventually, after pulling back away from the lake, take a left onto Bear Mountain Road. Where Panorama Lane goes uphill to the right, continue straight onto the dirt Bear Mountain Road. The Bear Mountain Trail trailhead will eventually be on the right. There is limited room to park roadside at a fork in the road just beyond the trailhead.

Wednesday, September 03, 2014