Basin Cascade Trail

Basin Cascade Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

beach

Not mentioned in any of the reviews - dark blue blazes on this trail, which made it easy to watch for when it crossed over the water. This trail was lovely and quiet, I had the trail to myself, and lots of places to stop and enjoy the water.
I decided when I got to the Cascade Brook Trail (AT) to head on up to Lonesome Lake. Blazes become white (AT) I am glad I did it. I felt it was a good introduction to hiking in this area. But it was tough. Lots of wet, muddy rock scrambling. We don't have things like this in Ohio! lol and it was tougher than other sections of the AT I had previously hiked in N. Carolina.
The AMC hut was awesome! And the CROO helped me figure out a less rocky trail down (my knees were feeling the hike). They sent me down Lonesome Lake Trail to Pemi Trail to make a loop. Total mileage around 5.2 + . It took me about 5 hrs. (I hike slow, lol).

Hiked this down from Lonesome Lake Hut as we had parked at the Basin. I really enjoyed the technical rocky course. Do keep a look out for signage as it passed over water a few times. Great views of waterfalls and wildlife.

Great trail for beginners. We are experienced hikers but were taking friends for their first hike. This trail has beautiful views of waterfalls for the entire trip up. We ended up doing a loop rather than the up and back. It was a bit muddy and the cascade bridge has washed out but you can still cross with minimal problem. We also had a small dog and he had fun. The early parts of the trail especially the swimming and wading areas of the lower falls were extremely crowded but about a mile into the trail there were very few. This would be a good beginner trail for people who want to start running trails or training with heavy packs too. Definitely recommend for newbies.

This trail is great if you want to get in to the Whites but not be above the tree line. It stays low with very little elevation gain. We went after a storm had rolled through the day before and some parts of the trail resembled a creek more than a path, but it wasn't impassable and the mud never became deep.
The only real caution I have is that the bridge is washed out. It's easy to cross because the water isn't fast, but you do have to take off your shoes to get through it.

Beautiful, easy, exceeded my expectations. I'll bring friends and family here again and again.

I've done this trial many times throughout the years hiking in the White Mountain. This trail is great for young family and is very rewarding especially when you bring picnic food to enjoy a picnic by any one of the scenic spot at Cascade Brook.

The brook doesn't get very deep but in some spot deep enough that you can wade in to soak in the cool and refreshing mountain stream. My family and I had many memorable hike through it. It does get a big buggy so make sure you bring plenty of insect repellent.

Excellent example of water wear formations in the basin. Very nice hike

Beautiful trail and a much more interesting route to Lonesome Lake hut than the Lonesome Lake trail. (We did a loop using Lonesome Lake trail to the hut from Lafayette campground, returning by basin cascades and pemi) River crossings were fine (just jumping from rock to rock) and the bridge being out was not an issue. Definitely worth doing!

A lot easier than expected with a moderate rating. A lot of the path was paved and not difficult at all.

nice hike before heading home

Great trail with many scenic waterfall views and opportunities to get in the water in a couple spots. We have hiked the trail three or four times and would recommend it for a drier day. The trail can be very muddy after it has rained to the point where I was sinking ankle deep with each step. For those who want to follow the trail all the way to Lonesome Lake, be aware that you will need to get past a difficult river crossing. It was doable, but our dogs struggled to make the crossing and had to be carried across one at a time.

Hiked this yesterday with my DH! White Mountain National Forest is one of our favorite places to explore so we enjoyed this hike. The trail up is a bit steep and muddy/slippery in many areas but plenty of areas to grab on to a tree or rest if needed. We plan to come back sometime in the Spring and go all the way to Lonesome Lake. It was a beautiful day and it was so nice to be able to step off the trail here and there and enjoy the beautiful and serene waters with different views each time! :-)

Trail was very muddy because of the the rain. Was difficult to tell where to cross the river (not enough markings) and there was no marking to cross over to the cascade brook trail so we had to turn around and walk down the way we came.

I didn't get very far on this hike because it was getting dark and it was slick with mud from recent rain. Of what I saw, The Basin is cool, the rest is nothing spectacular but still beautiful.

Really fun hike! It was a little muddy from the rain but still fairly easy! There is a part where you cross the brook which is a little challenging but other than that it was great! Very pretty hiking up along the water! Would definitely do again.

The Basin and the first cascade you encounter are nice, definitely worth a stop. However, I would not recommend going beyond there. The trail becomes steep and eroded, with bad footing, there is also a very difficult brook crossing. Neither Kinsman Falls nor Rocky Glen Falls seemed particularly amazing.

Beautiful winter hike for a breath of fresh air! Scenic!!
Been going here for years and it never gets old! A wonderful spectre of nature and I love the changing scenery during each season! You won’t be disappointed!

Not sure how far we went, but we had a great time exploring this trail. Once the trail started heading uphill along the river, rather than sticking to the trail, we mostly hiked up the various exposed rock faces in the river. This is probably an option whose availability depends on the water level, but we lucked out and the kids loved it! At one point, there was even a huge tree trunk that we used to cross the river. For safety and speed, we descended on the trail.

Rocky Glen Falls is a special place! You have to cross the river and continue about 0.2 miles to find it. Don’t miss it!

Beautiful hike to Kinsman falls! It took about an hour in total up to the falls and back. Not too steep and the falls were really nice! Unfortunately, too cold to swim but we will definitely be back in the summer for a swim! Another good hike to tire out the puppy!

Nice trail with 2 small waterfalls that offer beautiful photos. My favorite spot was about 1/2 way up on some of the rock formations....it was a perfect spot to sit and check out the views. Very tranquil. Well maintained and wide enough for people to pass easily. Great for dogs as well. My pup completed with no problems at all!

Friday, September 22, 2017

didn't get to finish, bridge out signs

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

a beautiful kid and dog friendly hike!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

We hiked it during a steady light rain. The experience was incredible. the rock formations that were exposed from the washed-away soil were truly amazing. The climb was moderately challenging. The higher you get the muddier it got, but that's all part of the experience. You can spend a lot of time right on the stone riverbed. So many "Kodak" moments.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

We stopped off here after hiking Arethusa Falls and it was absolutely gorgeous! We dipped our toes in the water and were grateful for the bathrooms although there aren't any sinks.

Monday, July 24, 2017

What a great place to visit. I don't understand why this is rated as "hard" when I found it to be a leisurely hike. Highly recommended to visit.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Easy great trail for kids to see what "hiking" is about.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Popular, and easy trail to the Basin. Moderate to the Cascades and Falls. The trail to the Cascades was soggy with lots of exposed roots. We enjoyed the short hike to the Basin, Baby Flume, and the Cascades to Kinsman Falls. We turned back at Kinsman, and didn't go as far as Rocky Glen Falls.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Neat hike along a rushing stream. Water was high due to the abundant rainfall over the last few days. Had to cross the water once in order to continue along the trail. Worth it!

Friday, June 16, 2017

Hiked down the Pemi Trail from Lafayette camp ground the first weekend of October. What a treat...The Basin was gorgeous so glad I choose to stop here!!