Baldface Trail

Baldface Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Intervale, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take this wonderful loop hike over two beautiful bald peaks with fantastic views towards the taller White Mountains. This is a loop hike with several fun stream crossings and a lot of views at the top of both peaks and along the ridge. As their name implies, both peaks have bald summits and in some steep places you may find yourself on fun scrambles. There will be fantastic views on clear days towards the taller White Mountains including Mt. Washington which dominates the horizon.

This is a great, challenging hike. The views are amazing.
I would not bring dogs on the loop trail. My dog has done Chicorua & Franconia loop with no trouble. He managed the N Baldface trail to the summit. The descent from the south was treacherous & not well marked. I had to lower him down in several places, without solid footing for myself.
I would definitely do this hike again, just without my dog.

You would be crazy to go counter clockwise and please do not bring your dog. My friends and I are not experienced hikers but all in excellent shape (iron man athlete and fitness instructors) and found it challenging- the trail is decently marked but you do have to scale boulders on the way up which can be intimidating if you are not an experienced hiker or afraid of heights.

With that being said the views are absolutely amazing and we were in awe along the ridge, indescribably beautiful. Took us about 6 hours but we took our time and stopped to take lots of pictures (make sure to look behind you on the way up!) Very worth it.

Did this loop over the weekend. It was cool (55-60) and damp. No real rain but just wet all day. Both peaks were in the clouds, but incredible views down lower. I went counter-clockwise, because for the first time ever I didn't read my AMC guide or any reviews on here beforehand. It was DANGEROUS descending off South Baldface in not-quite-dry conditions. I am a seasoned hiker, and I was scared, and I'm a little bit ashamed I wasn't more prepared.

However, I would hate to have had my back to the views from the south peak down to the ledges, because they were really the only ones I got all day, and they're just unbelievable along that ridge between south peak and shelter.

My suggestions: Either 1) do the trail clockwise like every rational human on here is suggesting OR 2) Go counter-clockwise for a somewhat easier ascent and then take the Slippery Brook Trail back down off the south knob.

P.S. This trail is listed as dog-friendly. If the only criterion is that dogs are allowed here by law, then yes that's true. However, it would be irresponsible to bring a dog on this hike.

Great hike - went up South and down North as others have suggested. Would not have wanted to come down the rocks on South, definitely some scrambling for me (58 year old 5'5" woman). Views were fantastic still a lot of snow on Washington.

This is such a great hike and climb. At 5’3, I work for this summit! What a thrill. Took 5 hours with some photo stops and snack. Good pace but not in a rush. A must do if you enjoy a challenge with amazing views.

A great plug-and-chug hike or mountain run. Very cool and different experience, as there is some borderline rock-climbing at the start of the alpine zone and you are traversing a completely exposed ridge. You can watch your progress behind you for the entire time above the tree line, which is miles. This loop would be quite a challenge in the winter and dangerous in wet or cold conditions. Similar to many of the 4,000-footers, the wind up there is constant but exhilarating. My most important pointer is that I would leave most dogs, especially small dogs, at home. My dog has climbed six mountains with me in the past two weeks and even she was scrambling down the bare rock at some points and came home with her front feet bleeding. Small dogs would have to be lifted over ledges while you maintained your own balance. Beautiful trail, though, not too cold this time of year (t-shirt and flannel even at the summit) and no snow or mud. I even saw two moose!

Great medium to hard complexity hike. We had a Boy Scout Trip on 5/12/18 and had an excellent time with scouts that had a mix of hiking skills and experience.

The view of the white mountains is amazing. It is fun to see where you have hiked on the loop as you progress.

It was very technical in one area - would not recommend if it was a wet day.

Wondering if anyone could share some info about trail conditions this May? Would like to head up in the next week or 2.

This is one of my favorite trail runs in the White Mountain Region. Wonderful views from South and North Baldface. No water one up above tree line, so if it is hot, make sure to tank up for ridge portion of the run.

Hiked to South Baldface summit just this weekend. Easy going up to the shelter. Then things got real. Very icy and windy (60mph gusts) from the shelter to the south summit. Made for slow going and as a result couldn't complete the loop. Came down via slippery brook trail which was basically virgin snow and couldn't have been more pleasant. Will return in a month or so to complete the 10 mile loop. Amazing views.

It was my first overnight hike. Definitely challenging for myself. Amazing views, absolutely would do it again.

The trail is in great shape. The weather was perfect. The views from all the peaks were great. Many great photo ops .

Did this hike ascending South Baldface first, it was November and the slide up the south face had to be worked around, up on reaching the Knob the wind picked up, wind chills here until the col between summits can be frigid, be prepared for wind, lots of nice views from Monroe to Moriah, south to Chocorua, north to the Mahoosic's and east to Pleasant Mt, rock formations on Eagle Crag are cool, def worth the Sidetrip, then defend to The Emerald Pool on the way to 113, the loop took me 7:45, taking plenty of breaks and lots of pics...

Typically spectacular Evans Notch hike. Certain sections are good for foliage peeing. First hiked in October 1991, but only straight up southern section of Baldface Circle Trail to just beyond the shelter and back down the same trail to the road. Hiked full Circle on October 16, 1993, for 9 miles. Returned October 8, 1994, and did Bicknell Trail to Eagle Craig and back down by Baldface Circle Trail, 4 hours. Not a great way up, views limited. Should go up South Baldface Circle first.

difficult but fun at the same time.

A good amount of parking at the trailhead (toilets are available too). You need to cross the street from the parking area to reach the trailhead. We stopped at the Emerald Pool, which is a beautiful large flowing stream. Then we started the loop counter-clockwise via the Slippery Brook Trail. We went left on the Eastman Mountain Trail, where we camped for the night in utter solitude (we heard the shelter was quite busy!). The next morning we used the Baldface Knob Trail to connect with the Baldface Circle Trail, which was fairly steep taking us to South and North Baldface Mountains. What a nice, strenuous, and varied loop trail! Note that there are a couple of brooks back towards the beginning/end of the loop, but not in the middle of the loop.

Hiked this with my 12 year old daughter. We went up south and down north after reading suggestions from other reviews. I definitely would reccomend this route. The rock slide is way to steep to go down and nerve wracking going up - steep rocks without much to grab onto to secure your footing. Make sure you have good shoes that grip. Take a minute on the rock slide to look around and enjoy the breathtaking views. The hike all together was great with incredible views! It took us 6 hours to hike the loop, bring lots of water and snacks :)

Quite a Challenge for a pair of summits below 4'000 feet. Very beautiful 360' views of Presidential Range, all the way south to Chocorua and east into the mountains of Maine. No reliable water. It's an 8 hour hike if you stop along the way. Leave yourself plenty of time.

Tough yet rewarding hike w gorgeous 360 views from both summits. Trail is well kept and well-marked.

Awesome hike :) very long and steep going south. Emerald pool was perfect at the end. My feet are toast. We took a ton of breaks to pick blueberries.

I'd suggest doing the hike clockwise. Awesome rock scramble on South Baldface! Don't forget bug spray. My partner and I are fairly quick hikers - we finished the hike in ~6.5 hours with a long lunch break at the top of North Baldface. Overall, incredible hike!

Beautiful open views. Cool scrambles up to south peak. Would not recommend on a wet or rainy day.

Awesome hike with great views for a majority of the time. Took a wrong turn coming down off North Baldface ending up on Bicknell Ridge trail for part of descent. Views were still incredible. Once I realized it, I was able to reconnect to loop trail via Eagle Cascade trail. Very windy and cool. No bugs, which was nice.

This is one of the most enjoyable hikes I've ever done. The ledge climbing going up the South Trail was a blast!

We went up South and back North...this was definitely the route to go. South was a challenge but worth the views! North wasn't too much of a challenge on the way down. 100% recommend stopping by the emerald pools! Really cold but so fun.

Baldface mountain was absolutely breath taking! Especially when you get to Emerald pool (I would suggest to hit the pool after the hike, the water is pretty cold, but what do you expect, its New England.) The parking lot is located at the on the other side of the mountain. To get to Emerald pool, you would have to cross the street from the parking lot and go up the steps to the trail. Pretty neat place!

Awesome loop, went up the South and down the North like others recommend and it was the right choice. Gets pretty steep at points going up the South so it's easier to go up those spots than down. Definitely take a break to sit in the shade at the Baldface Shelter. Get there early because parking can get crowded because of Emerald Pool.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Definitely go up the south face, I'd say it's too steep to go down unless you need an adrenaline rush. We went on a sunny warm day after a big rain and the (VERY STEEP) rock scramble had dried enough to be doable. This hike may not be appropriate for intermediate hikers, hikers with mobility issues, or those with fear of heights/exposure, as the scramble could prove too intimidating or technical. It's fine if you're very confident and know some rock-climbing techniques; otherwise, perhaps too hard. That said, the views were GORGEOUS and getting up there is well worth it and, for those who are comfortable, a fun challenge.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Great trip w Boston AMC - young members click below to see our route and photos along the way. Great weather lots of bugs! https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/baldface-circle--2?p=-1

Thursday, June 08, 2017

This trail in general is patches of muck sporadically throughout. The rock scramble would be dangerous in anything but dry conditions I think. Bugs were pretty bad today- black flies and mosquitoes. Sounds like it was more than usual from locals. Lots of up and then lots of down, with a lovely view from the top in between. We did baldface circle to baldface knob and took slippery brook down. About 7.5 miles and 2600 elevation gain.