Bald Mountain Preserve is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Marlow, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 551 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

It was difficult to find where the Sands trail continued at the top of the mountain, so we ended up taking the Gage trail down instead of our intended route. The low elevation areas of the Gage trail were VERY buggy. Not much a viewing area at the top either. Wasn't terrible, but I'm not itching to get back any time soon either.

Mon May 06 2019

Nice hike but needs some serious work...Most blazes are missing, so it is very easy to get off track.

Fri Apr 12 2019

A big nope from me! I've been here a bunch to climb and decided to actually explore the hiking trails in the area today. They are poorly maintained and desperately need to be reblazed. I usually keep my dog on leash when hiking for his safety, but we kept getting tangled in downed branches so the hike really wasn't much fun. I think its a great area, but would not recommend hiking here unless your goal is to practice navigation, orienteering, and bushwhacking skills. Note: If you just want views and do the Sands Trail (or the parts of it that go to the climbing areas, these get much more foot traffic and are easy to follow). I wouldn't recommend this loop.

Wed Jan 16 2019

Now renamed the Elizabeth Burns McIntire Forest, of the Monadnock Conservancy. The stone chairs on top are awesome and a bit surreal!

Thu Aug 09 2018

Nice trail with okay views. Trail markings on back side are sparse and hard to find.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Great hike and kids loved it

Mon Sep 08 2014

This is a small wilderness preserve with a few hiking trails and a rock climbing area. 3 possible loops here; the Sands trail, the most direct route will take you up the ledges past the rock climbing location and then to the summit. The Gage trail is more of logging road that circles the hill and would be around twice length of the Sands trail. Lastly, the McIntyre trail, which is the longest loop around the mountain, and in my opinion was somewhat overgrown and not marked very well at times. My hike started up the Sands and down and around via the McIntyre. If you bring children, avoid the McIntyre trail, I recommend going up the Sands and down the Gage. The ledges portion of the Sands was fun and challenging but somewhat anticlimactic due the extremely marginal views at the mostly wooded summit.

Sun May 05 2019