B18 Bomber Crash Site Via Walker Brook

B18 Bomber Crash Site Via Walker Brook is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Woodstock, New Hampshire. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and cross country skiing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

Absolutely incredible adventure. Definitely not for beginners and is not easy but 100% worth the the hike up.

I read about this crash site several years ago and kept it in the back of my mind for when I wanted a 1/2 day hike. The parking area is right off Rt. 118 on Walker Brook Road. The trail is an easy walk up a fire road for the first 1 mile. At this point the road ends at a field, upon entering the field there is a small cairn where you turn sharp right and off into the forest you go. Shortly after entering the woods you will find a small yellow sign indicating a brook crossing 750 feet ahead and a yellow arrow on a tree at the crossing point. Once across the brook the climb begins. The trail is not official and not well marked, but with care it can be followed without much difficulty (look for orange ribbons tied to trees). From the brook crossing up the climb is steady and a bit steep. The final 1/2 mile to the crash site is very steep. You will first approach the 2 engines and some scattered debris. From there look up and large portions of the fuselage, wings, landing gear and many smaller pieces of debris are scattered across the mountainside. A memorial plaque was placed on a boulder in 1992 and is surrounded by small American Flags left by visitors to honor the crew. Be sure to do some online research before your visit as knowing the whole story will enhance your visit to this historic site. There is also a side trail marked with ribbons that head down to the left (when looking uphill). I did not follow it as it steeply descends into the wilderness, however upon returning home I read it leads to a scenic waterfall. Maybe a nice spot for lunch?

I actually watched a few YouTube videos as part of my research for this hike and found them helpful. The story about the wreckage was also very interesting.
My daughter and I hiked it July 4th. There are no trail markings only surveyors tape. It’s a pretty easy walk the first 1.2 miles. Walk until You come to a circular field. You will want to look to your right at about 1 o’clock to see the actual trail head. It enters the woods and you will come to a brook look for the yellow signs, one will read “crossing 750 feet ahead” continue until you find a yellow arrow pointing towards the brook. After you cross the Brook follow the trail that runs along side it, you will come across a Cairn with a flag that marks the trail that you need to follow keep on the lookout for pink survey tape to help stay on trail. It does climb steadily and somewhat steeply for the remainder of the hike. Seeing The wreckage, site and dedication was very humbling.
My daughter And I loved the mile walk in and out because it’s full of wildflowers and we saw a about a dozen butterflies in that area - absolutely beautiful

We did this hike as a family with our 8, 5 and 2 year old this past Sunday. The first mile was easy for my 2 year old, but then did have to be carried the rest of the way. Getting to see the plane was a big incentive for my older 2! Great hike! We had a lot of fun, just be sure to have bug spray!!

Amazing hike ... lol we had not planned on humping through at times waist deep snow...but no one died :) ..... Bring a small flag to leave at the dedication plate.

There is no trail head marker. You start off on a old carriage type road,once you enter the woods the real trail starts. It is fairly steep, lots of roots. Seeing the wreckage, the dedication plaques is very humbling. Took us 1 1/2 hours up, to the wreckage site.

Sunday, May 21, 2017