Artist Bluff Trail

Artist Bluff Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Franconia, New Hampshire that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Franconia, NH: Travel south on SR 18 for several miles.

This is a quick hike. What took more time was switching from snowshoes to microspikes coming to the summit of Bald and then the decent after Artist Bluff.
Definitely icy and not recommended if you do not have at least microspikes right now.

Trail was in pretty good condition. wonderful hike. great for mountain and snow beginners like myself. Wish I had brought spikes since it did get slippery but I managed without. beautiful views and well marked even with the snow fall.

Gorgeous hike but definitely need traction especially near the bluff.

Great hike! A little dicey this time of year without good footwear bc of all the ice on the ground. But all in all it was quick and easy with great views.

Parked in the cannon parking lot and hiked the loop counterclockwise. The way up to the viewpoint was not nearly as icey as the way down.

We’ve explored a lot of New Hampshire these last few years, but I have to say, today was probably my absolute favorite hike. I love winter hiking even more than spring, summer or fall. What I took in with my senses today I will cherish forever. BTW...super short hike with multiple viewing spots. Bald mountain summit was a bit scary, but Artist Bluff a piece of cake. Tyler didn’t make it all the way up. But, with a lot of determination I did!! Yay!! (We both have tremendous fear of heights).

Easy hike and great view

Awesome hike! Pretty quick, but awesome views of beautiful fall foliage! Definitely recommend!

This was a awesome little hike with some amazing view points. Was enjoyable even in the rain today. The most and fog made the foliage pop even more. A bit slick and rocky but very doable in the right footwear

This is a great little hike with a fabulous view, especially in Fall when the leaves change color! The whole hike is fun, but if you just want to get to the bluff without doing the loop or adding Bald Mountain, you can access a much shorter (but also steeper) trail across from the Echo Lake parking lot. Just cross the street then bear right. The trail will be on your left, and is marked with red dashes. Enjoy! :)

Short and easy hike with nice views points. Be prepare to climb up to Bald Mountain. Only sad point: we hear a lot the noise from the highway.

Very easy hike. Quick loop took us only about 45 minutes or less. Great Lake views.

Loved it I saw it off the edge of the highway and really wanted to go up there really not that hard but great views

Nice quick and easy hike with some medium incline. The view is amazing for the amount of effort. The foliage and hike to get there was beautiful.

nice view, but you can hear cars from the highway.

Beautiful view !

My favorite quick hike

Steep rock climbing!

Great little hike. A bit confusing because of Mt. Bald, I thought the trail would continue but u have to return back to the turn off and continue on the Artists bluff trail. Very steep up to Mt. Bald and not very dog friendly. I had to lift my little guy down a couple of times. Amazing views though, for a short distance.

short and sweet. steep in areas but its a short hike so its not bad and view of echo lake is nice. for those who like hiking sticks this is a good trail for one. my son was only 4 and daughter 8. They did it and loved it.

We went Bald Mountain first, then Artist's Bluff with three adults (one novice) and a 7-year-old. It was challenging enough to keep my daughter happy (she loved the scramble to Bald Mountain) but not too tough for my wife, who rarely hikes. I would strongly recommend poles for this one, and it's definitely a fair weather hike. Varied topography throughout, some excellent views, and interesting scenery, including a lot of relics from long-gone loggers.

A Favor if you go: My 7-year-old lost a classmate and friend recently, and she built a little memorial to him at the top of Bald Mountain. If you pass that way, please add a stone and send a picture to swordsmith at gmail so she can pass it on to his twin sister.

Went clockwise. Took the spur out to bald mountain which had a scramble that was challenging for the little ones but worth the view at the top. Fairly steep at points. Could be marked a little better at spots and path from bottom (across from echo lake parking lot) to the trailhead parking lot was through a field (next time will probably walk along the road instead). View from artists bluff was also very nice. Took about 2 hours

This hike was short but steep. Took me and my son almost 2 hours. Well worth the view. The wind on top was crazy and hysterical!

Very quick and easy hike, busy route, with a beautiful view of Echo Lake at the bluff lookout.

great hike to do in an hour

My husband and two year old daughter enjoyed the trail this morning. My husband carried her in a pack. Parts were a little steep so I think that this trail was appropriately rated moderate. There were three really nice views and the trail views were lovely with a bunch of boulders to have fun on. There was a fun look out point if you follow a “bluff” sign painted on a rock. We loved it and it was a great hike for a young family. Littles definitely couldn’t do it on foot but older kids would kill it scrambling up the rocks!

We did this hike to Artist Bluff Saturday with some friends. With the rain coming we knew we wanted to get in and out quickly but be able to have a nice view as well and this was the perfect spot. Very quiet only saw about 8 people throughout the whole hike. Beautiful Views and easy hike, definitely recommend.

Took my sweet husband on a short but difficult trail on his Birthday. He took great photos & lead the way part of the time

Love love this little hike!! GREAT VIEWS for little effort!!!

Did this hike in winter. It's quite a steep scramble for a moderate level trail, especially when there's ice. We basically sat and slid the entire way down, which is fun in its own right, but it definitely didn't qualify as hiking. If you hike it in winter definitely bring crampons. Sticks would be helpful in any season.

Great trail but missed the views due to the overcast...will definitely be back!