Arethusa Falls Via Bemis Brook Trail

Arethusa Falls Via Bemis Brook Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very nice hike for my 8 year old and my Mastiff. Lots of kids and dogs on the trail. We took Bemis trail and enjoyed the smaller waterfalls. The connection aka scramble to get back to Arethusa was pretty steep. Fair warning. Many people on the trail, lots of dogs too. It seems that people didn't realize how long the hike really is, we saw many parents with kids and only 1 water bottle between them. Please prepare before going out there, especially if you have children.

This is one of my favorite short hikes in the Whites. Every time my friends and I go up to the Whites, we always stop at Arethusa Falls. The hike is very moderate and isn’t tough on joints and knees. The waterfall is beautiful and when it’s not too busy, it’s the nicest spot to take a cold dip on a hot summers day! This is a great hike for children!

We went up the Bemis and down the Arethusa Trail which was perfect for myself and my two teens. Beautiful waterfalls ending with the magnificent Arethusa Falls. A perfect day;)

3 beautiful waterfalls. Each have their own perfect aspect. Some steep parts through Bemis falls part but overall a wonderful hike.

Good one with kids. Amazing falls with plenty of good perches to rest, snack, photo, and take it in. Tons of people here today, Memorial Day. Bemis Brook on the way up and stayed on main trail on the way down. Two little beauties of falls on Bemis brook. Can stay on main trail to avoid little scramble at end of Bemis Brook portion, but you miss the two “mini” waterfalls.

The falls were rushing with a little snow still around

Beautiful day for this hike. Be very careful if you decide to climb up to the top of the falls. Otherwise we had the entire place to ourselves for about a 1/2 hour. Perfect!

We took the Bemis Trail, saw beautiful Falls and cascades. Then Trail turned very steep and we were basically rock scrambling to get back to Arethusa Trail. When we finally reached Arethusa Falls, the tough parts seemed to be a distant memory at best. Beautiful Falls, God is good...all the time and all the time God is good!!

Great trail. The Bemis brook part of the trail was a bit steeper than I expected at the end to join up with the main trail, but worth it for the extra 2 falls. Overall well worth the time. No snow on the trail but a bit muddy in places

One of the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen.

Perfect day to climb, bluebird, cool and lots of water cascading!!

Beautiful 50+ degree day. Trail was slushy and hard packed snow. Pretty slippery but totally worth it.

this trail pleasantly surprised me! was much steeper and more of a workout than anticipated! we took the blue blazed trail. steep for the first half or more, then levels off a bit until you get to the falls. I wore crampons which came in handy - the snow was well packed down but was starting to melt so it was a little slippery. doable for any level hiker if you take your time. this trail was SO well marked. such a reward at the end! the falls are breathtaking. our pup loved this trail! enjoy!

Beautiful scenery, and waterfalls were incredible. Huge, and ice is thick enough you can walk close to the falls and see the water running underneath.

Icy trail (after rain and hard freeze and significant foot traffic). Would not do Bemis Brook without crampons. Blue-blazed trail running straight to the falls is doable or even easy without them, though difficult in spots.

Thought I would need snow shoes but that’s not the case today. Had the it to myself and the fall was so beautiful

A gorgeous hike to a magnificent waterfall.

I thought it was a pretty easy hike (besides the icyness towards the top) for one of the most gorgeous waterfalls I've ever seen. The chipmunks and squirrels were so cute :) Stop and take a moment to smell the Balsam fir needles, just like christmas, not sure if they're only fragrant in the winter? It was like a dream, go see the beauty for yourself!

Wonderful trail

One really step uphill which felt more like rock climbing than hiking, but otherwise one of the easier "moderate" trails. Somewhat narrow but very passable for our party of 3, plus 1 dog. Stops at all the falls offer a great rest break if you're getting tired, and the main attraction at Arethusa is breathtaking! Beautiful photos to be had, and just generally a nice spot to sit and cool off after a hike.

We went on Saturday so a lot of people. So if u'll come early - will find parking spot. Otherwise you need to park on the road or wait. As I said - a lot of people. We were hiking with our puppy Labrador retriever and we had a lot of stops just to let people go as the trail is some points is narrow. Didn't enjoy at all. Wouldn't recommend to go with a dog if you are good hiker. Better to find other hiking trails. Though on the back to a parking lot we found 2 or 3 waterfalls. There weren't any people so at least our puppy could refresh himself :)

the 1st bridge was out, but there is a detour on the right. Nice falls.

We didnt make it, met people coming back, they said that the bridge is broken and there is no way to get to the falls. Its interesting why weren't any signes at the beginning about broken bridge.

There are really two routes, one that is mostly on a very clear path along some modest rocks: this "blue dot" trail leads directly to the falls. And another yellow dot trail, which is the Bemis Brook, which follows along the water. This one is much more difficult and while it "meets up" with the other trail, it does require a fairly steep climb up rocky terrain (where the trail seems to "disappear" as one reviewer put it). Follow the yellow dots and you'll meet back up with the blue dot trail to the falls. The bonus of the extra hard work is seeing two small water falls and some nice pools. It's a beautiful hike and worth the extra effort. But don't be fooled, it's more difficult and probably not for little children (especially if you want to continue up the blue trail to the falls).

a bit tough, but totally worth it!! breathtaking views.

This was a very nice hike. Brought two 3 year olds and they were able make it all the way in. The way back they were too tired so they were held most of the way.
The falls are definitely worth the trek. There were some flat areas to picnic if you wanted to sit and enjoy the scenery.

Great hike with beautiful Waterfalls. Bemis trail was a little tougher then the main trail. But, you get to see two extra Waterfalls on that trail, so it's worth the extra work. Main trail is very heavily traveled with lots of young children and dogs.

Easy hike to the falls. Absolutely beautiful! We had a lovely day hanging by the water.

Great falls