Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff Trail

Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bartlett, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Bartlett, NH: Travel north approximately 12 miles on US 302 to the park entrance. Soon after entering the park, you will see a parking lot on your left specifically for this waterfall trail.

A great trail with the wondrous 140 foot fall being the greatest reward of all. We spent over an hour at the falls picnicking and wading and taking a dip under the fall. It was truly memorable. The trail to the fall is not terribly exciting but not monotonous.

Bring a towel and prepare to get wet. The shower under the cool refreshing falls is truly unforgettable.

Great trail, the waterfall is beautiful. Please note that coming down off frakenstein cliff is difficult and dangerous since its so steep. Watch your footing and hold onto trees when you can.

My wife and I (both 68 y/o) went up Frankenstein Cliff trail, took the .5 mile spur to Falcon Cliff (just OK), over to Arethusa Falls (very worth seeing) and took the Bemis side trail down to two more beautiful smaller falls. Took us 6 hours as we don't move as fast as we use too. A good, not too long and not too strenuous hike.

Solid trail. Not difficult and makes for a nice day. If you’ve done other trails in the Whites, this could be a bit underwhelming, but it’s fun nonetheless.

We went up the cliffs way. One confusing part of the trail was early at the railroad tracks. You have to follow along the tracks till you get to the railroad bridge. Before the bridge you pick the trail back up. Nice trail otherwise.

worth the climb, beautiful summit

Amazing hike, did this with boyfriend and our dog. Took Arethusa falls trail up and Frankenstein cliff trail down. Some parts of Arethusa were a bit muddy, and quite a bit of loose leaf litter/gravel on the way down. Other than that a perfect hike and well worth the views!!

Sunday 6/3/18 was the perfect day for a hike- it was sunny, 70° and pretty quiet on the trail. Most of the trail to Arethusa falls was dry and easy to traverse. The water was low enough to go down to the river bed safely and put our feet in some cold pools of water. Trail to the cliff from Arethusa falls was clear and easy to traverse although the soil is loose in many places which was the only thing that made it tough to navigate, especially going down hill. Whole loop took us about 4-5 hours with lots of stops for pictures and snacks. very quiet, only saw about a dozen other hikers all day. Would 100% recommend, it was a beautiful way to spend a Sunday!

Amazing!!!

A nice hike to the Falls which are gorgeous. Frankenstein trail is a bit of a monster with tons of roots, rocks and steep challenging narrow paths through dense and dark woods. Great vistas when you hit the exposed areas.

Both Arethusa and Frankenstein’s cliff are easily one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. The Arethusa trail is moderate, but one your way back make sure to look to your left and take Frankenstein’s Cliff trail. That’s where the real work begins. Pretty difficult, but extremely worth it.

Awesome trail! Some parts were tough but the view from the cliffs is outstanding, very rewarding hike

Beautiful but difficult! Worth it!

It was pretty awesome!! The falls where all breath taking, especially the big one, such a beauty! Took the yellow track, it was good and challenging. Coming down is steep and slippery, the leaves would make me fall on my bottom even with hiking boats and sticks. If you see a empty train track, take a right, then follow the blue and yellow signs to the lot!! Loved it overall.

Amazing hike! make sure you do Bemis brook (yellow trail) that shoots off of the blue trail. Its a steep climb at the end but very rewarding as there is two beautiful waterfalls.

Great hike and waterfall! Great time of year to check it out :)

Hiked this one a couple of years ago. A difficult climb in places, spectularly rewarding at the falls, which are exquisite. The hike back to the world is less taxing and quite pleasant. pack snacks and lots of water.

Excellent hike. Very icy sections this time of year but the falls are great. Properly equipped you will have a great time. Just FYI, the first bridge is out, but the rocks gave a decent path across.

An amazing trail. Bemis brook brings you by two more falls, and Arethusa falls are amazing! It's a bit of a challenge but continuing onto the Frankenstein Cliff portion gives you amazing views of the mountains surrounding the area!!! It's definitely worth the trek, and one of my favorites!

We went in late April, still lots of snow on the trail. I was not expecting anywhere near the amount of water to be flowing on the falls. Incredible. We hiked up half way through rain and it was worth every step. Take the Bemis brook trail up before joining the arethusa falls trail 0.5 mi up—you get two bonus falls, but a lot more unsure footing!!

Fantastic views. Good for all hiking levels.

This was a great trail. We are beginners and found it well worth the hike to see the falls. They were completely frozen where we were standing on the falls. next time we need to complete the loop. Weather was getting a bit gloomy this day.

I went on a rather cold day a few weeks ago and broke trail. I would not consider this trail hard. I did the loop, coming from Arethusa Falls. It’s rather moderate, considering other trails in the area. It was hard only because we had to break trail, almost the entire loop. Although now there is probably mostly ice left..

Attempted July 2017. We didn’t make it to the top- got caught in a rain storm and the trail was quickly deteriorating, so we decided to turn back. Awesome views, crossing the river was a bit hard, both me and my friend got a bit damp from it.

First time hiking. first trail me and my girlfriend picked. its hard very worth it. over dressed not doing that again. it took all day. we stopped and rested couple times. this trail gives you everything well worth it.

Awesome, absolutely gorgous views and pictures.

****WE FOUND AN ENGAGEMENT RING NEAR THE PARKING LOT IF YOU LOST ONE PLEASE CONTACT ME**** 11/15/17

scottcmcdaniel94@yahoo.com

Hiked up Arethusa Falls and around the loop to Frankenstein cliff trail loop.
At this time of year with a little snow on the ground....Arethusa Falls was fairly easy. Coming down the Frankenstein Cliff trail was definitely more difficult.
Great trip overall!

Hiked this trail last august. Didn't know about this app then. The waterfalls hike is beautiful and a great spot to rest and relax before heading to the cliff. Hike up to the cliff is very challenging but the view at sunset is amazing. Absolutely amazing. Hiking back down in the dark was a bit tricky but doable once reaching the railroad tracks.

My wife and I just completed this trail. Awesome views ... the falls are beautiful. That being said it is definitely a workout. The beginning of the trail is hard to follow because of numerous downed trees. After the train trestle it's up hill all the way. We Where lucky to catch the train heading back down to North Conway. No not a ride just a view as it made it's way past us....would do this one a gain for sure....

If you want to do the falls and not be disappointed with a pretty easy and highly trafficked out and back hike start with frankstein cliffs. It knocks out the steep parts in the beginning of the home rather than dragging it out by going to the falls first. We did it with our 90lb dog and carried our kid on our back. I'd agree with the hard description it is given. Had to pick up the dog in a few spots to help over the rocks but all in all a good workout. If it's going to be a hot day, I'd start early.