Learn more

Algonquin Trail is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Campton, New Hampshire that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and rock climbing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,690 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

I've hiked this trail a couple of different ways. I'm writing this review to let people know it can be really challenging to bring your dog. My dogs are pretty avid hikers and did the Chimney at Osceola without much difficulty. But this trail has a couple of steeps drops that required me to either lift my 60lb dogs over my head or - much harder - get them to jump into my arms on the way down. Its a beautiful hike and I absolutely recommend it. Some of the ledge views are great. Just be careful bring a 4 legged friend unless they fit in your backpack!

I’m sure this is a great trail but we abandoned it before we started due to the bugs. We opened the car door and at least 20 mosquitoes flew in—really bad. Also you have to drive down about 3 miles of dirt road to get there, just a word to the wise. Hopefully it’s better later in the season!

Good trail. One of the first to hike this season. Steep climbing in places. Gotta look out for the blazes because the trail is a little scarce in places. Some rock climbing in places but no one on the trail. Still snow and ice in places.

GREAT TRAIL, VERY QUITE NO ONE ON IT . START FIRST MILE FLAT. THEN HEADS INTO MIXED HARDWOODS. THEN YOU GAIN IN ELEVATION INTO SPRUCE & FIR BEAUTIFUL AREA. THIS SECTION I WOULD SAY HAS SOME HARD PARTS ROCK SCRAMBLES WHICH ARE FUN. VIEWS FROM LEDGES GOING UP WHERE GREAT. TOP OF SANDWICH NOT SO MUCH. I DON'T KNOW WHY IT IS ON 52 WITH A VIEW LIST. ELEVATION? FUN HIKE OVER ALL.

A really nice trail in need of some TLC. Lower section had several blowdowns to go over or around and somewhat overgrown. Lots of fresh moose scat but didn't see one. One kind of hairy rock scramble, but we found the bypass coming down that was not marked as far as we could tell. All yellow trail markers were faded but still visible. Fantastic views from Black Mt. but the summit of Sandwich Dome is over grown obscuring what would otherwise be awesome views. The view north is clear. One treat was to see Boreal Chickadees near summit of Sandwich Dome. A long hike so if you hike slowly leave early. About an 8 hour out and back hike with breaks and lunch included.

Actually a really fun hike. First stretch is flat then gets steep. A few spots of actual rock climbing. Tough to keep on the trail at times. We followed the yellow paint onto another trail 30min before realizing we were off track. Not sure why they used yellow paint for multiple trails. False lookout was nice. Actual top not so much. But then again it was pretty foggy for our hike. Lots of animal scat in the trail but didn’t see anything. Did not see a single person all day. Moderate is a fair rating. Buttmud approves.

Sun Jul 08 2018

stream @ start was easily crossed. great trail with some nice views. I would not consider this trail easy as it is rated here. I would rate it moderate. if it's wet use caution could be a bit slick. keep an eye out for moose. some nice blueberries to snack on in season.

Tue Dec 01 2015

This was a really nice one. It climbs steep at points, and then brings you into a pine forest with trees looking like they are sugar coated. A few cool boulders to climb over also, which is fun. The views were outstanding! I was pressed for time, otherwise I would have spent more time up there. Excellent!

Fri Jul 03 2015

Starts with fording a stream. You WILL get wet. Easy for a while then moderate climb straight up. Next scrambling up rock ledges. At points rock climbing skill is needed.

Tue Jun 18 2019