3 Purgatory Falls Trail

3 Purgatory Falls Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lyndeborough, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1st Falls is only a 10 minute hike and great for swimming. Next 2 are an hour plus through a very thin overgrown path. Literally was only one on the trail all day and both upper falls are impressive but tough to see as they are largely in a crevasse.

Keep going the upper falls are worth it.

beautiful nature.. mossy rocks and gorgeous waterfalls. hash marks were a little confusing at one point. did an impromptu river crossing, which was amazingly refreshing. saw a review on the website, where I think they took the wrong trail like we did initially. gps was really helpful.

I took my dog along with me on this trail and we both enjoyed it! It's easy enough that people of all ages and activity levels can enjoy it, but still felt like a good workout too. We walked along the river for most of the way, which offered some great scenery and spots for the dog to take a swim. It's certainly not the most impressive set of waterfalls in NH, but it's much closer to home than many of the others. Bugs were out but not too bothersome. I did pull a tick off the dog immediately after the hike, so be sure to keep an eye out for them.

So via Atlas Obscura we decided to try the hike to Satan's Bean Pot at the upper falls. We didn't make it due to mosquito's, crossings in need of repair
and time management. We figured since it was rated as easy it would be. I'd rate it closer to moderate at points. First falls were beautiful as were others along the stream. We also saw a weasel. Looking forward to making the full trek another time. Enjoy!!!

other reviews said it best - first waterfall is the best and definitely the highlight. the parts of the trail that continue further up the stream are also beautiful.

Beautiful series of waterfalls, however, got a little freaked out when we encountered a small rattlesnake about 3 feet from us.

trails were overall good. mosquitos were horrendous. make sure to bring bug spray.

Amazing walk with my dogs today. I lost my Fitbit flex that is in an orange arm band somewhere between the upper Falls and Purgatory Brook. If anyone finds it I would love to know.

Very muddy in some places and a few of the crossings need repair.