3 Day Hale, S Twin, N Twin, Galehead and Owl's Head Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(5)
Pemigewasset Wilderness

3 Day Hale, S Twin, N Twin, Galehead and Owl's Head Loop is a 37.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length37.1 miElevation gain11,919 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingrunningForestRiverViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlifeBugsMuddyRockyScrambleSnow
Description
Photos (11)
Recordings (6)
Completed (8)
Ron Tebbetts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
First to Review

June 24-26, 2020. Did this loop over three days. Day 1. Started at the Mt Hale trailhead. Note that the road was closed at the time which added 2 miles to the morning hike, The washout was being repaired and the road may be open now. Made it up to Mt Hale (pile of rock) and then to North Twin via fire wardens trail and then North Twin trail. Again a pile of rock. The North Twin Spur Trail took me to South Twin with all of the views. Proceeded down Twinway (AT) to the Galehead hut which was closed. Went down the Twin Brook Trail to Galehead Mtn (another pile of rocks) and then down to 13 Falls Campsite where I spent the night. Plenty of water at the campsite. Day 2. Took the Lincoln Brook Trail down to Owls Head. Trail was rocky and rooty but the downward slope made it manageable. I did not like Owls Head (another pile of rocks) as the climb was straight up and a good third of the trail was in loose gravel. After Owls Head, continued down the trail (very muddy in places) to Franconia Brook Trail. This trail was a breeze back to 13 Falls Campsite as I believe it was an abandoned railroad bed and was nice and straight, smooth with just a gradual slope. My original goal was to make it to the Mt Guyot Shelter but there was no way I was going to make it back up to South Sister and then over and down to the shelter before dark. I opted to stay at 13 Falls even though I got there at 4 pm. Day 3. The Galehead Hut was now open so I was able to replenish my water supply. The climb back up to South Sister wasn't as bad as I felt it was going to be and the remaining trip wasn't too bad with a short climb to Guyot and then another short climb (and side trail) to Zeeland. Got another water fill at Zeeland Hut followed by a nice walk in the woods back to Zeeland Rd. I didn't appreciate the added 2 mile walk from the trailhead to my vehicle so the distance added up to over 41 miles. Water wasn't a problem on the trail. 13 falls had a privy and plenty of tent sites. I found a couple of good trees for my hammock which put me away from everyone else. Saw most of the folks on day 2 and 3.

Matt Merkel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 6, 2018
View Matt's Recording
Ashley Legg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 1, 2018
View Ashley's Recording
Stephen Shaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2017
View Stephen's Recording
Megan Graham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2017
View Megan's Recording