White Rock and La Madre Springs Loop Trail

White Rock and La Madre Springs Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and bird watching and is best used from September until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,479 feet Route Type: Loop

Discover this hidden oasis among vermillion cliffs at the end of a creek bed path. If you've hiked the White Rock Hills Loop, you've seen the brilliantly colored red, vermilion, and cream colored rocks in this park-like area. They are located just east of the upper end of the loop trail. This boulder hopping route is fun and easy to follow. Water in the stream bed isn't usually a problem - very rare and not very much water flows through here. There is some brush and trees you'll have to work your way through, but as long as you follow the stream bed, you shouldn't have any problem. The park area itself is north facing and low, so ice and snow remain longer there than anywhere else on White Rock Hill. Be careful if you climb the cliffs above, they are rugged, much steeper than they look, and definitely not safe for children to climb around on. The park is a great little secret!

This trail felt really long. A lot of up. Very beautiful though. You will feel super accomplished after you complete it. I am not in awesome shape but I did finish it. On the last incline I had to stop a bunch. I would recommend at least 4 liters of water. I am very happy I did it!

Pretty great trail overall. My friends and I went all the way to the cabin on la madre not just stopping at the springs. Killer views up there plan on coming again to make the peak. We started at white rock parking lot and did the trail clockwise. The northern half of the trail is beautiful but bring plenty of water on the trail the sun/heat makes the trail feel long.

Really solid hike with great scenery behind White Rock. Sunny with temp in the low 80's made it feel a lot longer than it is.

A great workout trail. If you park at Willow Spring Picnic Area & go right towards White Rock you’ll start uphill and end downhill which is great. There’s no shade, so be careful if you bring your doggo! Also for dogs- the first few miles have burs under every bush, so if they try to lie down it’s going to be painful. There’s pine trees on La Madre Spring, which are beautiful & a nice change from Vegas scenery. Bring plenty of water!

off road driving

incredible! The northern portion of this loop is not to be missed. Highly recommend the entire loop.

Excellent views, deserts and forest. Easy for anyone who likes walking or running

I would highly recommend this trail to anyone visiting Las Vegas. The beginning was really nice and not too crowded but the later portion was more touristy. Overall a very nice hike.

Excellent trail, even better than we expected!

Some of the best views in the Red Rock Canyon area! 5 stars!

After the couple days of rain the trail was great starting out with the dogs and baby on my back in the backpack. 3miles into the hike we decided to turn around because the water in the stream got to high for us to hike through. In January it’s cold, so hiking with the wet weather and baby isn’t a good idea. Other than that we could’ve done the full hike in the loop. Pretty cool trail for pictures!

First time on this trail today!! New favorite!!!

Great hike as always. Everytime I am in Vegas I try to do this hike.

Nice hike with some beautiful views! Not to difficult.

I have been on this trail countless times, have taken family, friends, cadets and guests on it to introduce them to hiking and Red Rock and will continue to do so in the future. One of my favorites!

I love this trail. Definitely will be going back.

Wonderful high desert trail circling a mountain. Really beautiful scenery, and surprisingly lush behind (north side of) the mountain. Am an avid trail runner and found this among most delightful trails. Reward-to-effort ratio is very high. For best views start at the Willow Spring Picnic Area parking lot and go counterclockwise. Next time I'm in Las Vegas I will certainly return.

Nice trail the weather was great and the change of scenery from desert to almost Forrest like was beautiful

Started at 2:30 and the first uphill part was hot, but then the entire afternoon in the shade. Distinct color changes along the way. Only saw 5 or 6 other people on trail.

This hike was hot, but it was beautiful! The white rock area changes as you loop around; reds, white, Joshua trees. I’m not big on desert hiking in general but am so glad I did this one. I would skip La Madre Springs, though. I only went to the spring itself, maybe it’s incredible up higher. I started at the willow springs picnic area, trail the entire way. The only wildlife I saw were geckos and chipmunks, though did look for bighorn sheep.

off road driving
Sunday, October 21, 2018

Enjoyed the strip view

Monday, October 15, 2018

Great trail. Make sure you keep going all the way to the top where there are remnants of some sort of camp (structure and fire ring). Really great views along the way. Bring lots of water.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Beautiful trail but it will kick you butt. Carried surface from sandy to rocky. This is a moderately difficult run run. Make sure you take water. Easy to follow and you won’t get lost.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Seven of us set out on our first hike of the season. We were a little concerned about a seven mile trek as our first outing, but the trail proved to be beautiful and not overly taxing. It was the type of trail that makes you want to come back for more. The layered colors were amazing. So distinct. The landscape ranged from soft, rolling hills to jagged peaks, which were as sharp as lava rock. The winds were wicked, but interestingly always at our back. Our group (age range 45 to 60) really loved this trail.

Friday, March 02, 2018