White Rock / La Madre Springs Loop Trail

White Rock / La Madre Springs Loop Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and birding and is best used from September until March. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Discover this hidden oasis among vermillion cliffs, at the end of a creek bed path. If you've hiked the White Rock Hills Loop, you've seen the brilliantly colored red, vermilion, and cream colored rocks in this park-like area. They are located just E of the upper end of the loop trail. This boulder hopping route is fun and easy to follow. Water in the stream bed isn't usually a problem - very rare and not very much water flows through here. There is some brush and trees you'll have to work your way through, but as long as you follow the stream bed, you shouldn't have any problem. The park area itself is north facing and low, so ice and snow remain longer there than anywhere else on White Rock Hill. Be careful if you climb the cliffs above, they are rugged, much steeper than they look, and definitely not safe for children to climb around on. The park is a great little secret!

Seven of us set out on our first hike of the season. We were a little concerned about a seven mile trek as our first outing, but the trail proved to be beautiful and not overly taxing. It was the type of trail that makes you want to come back for more.

The layered colors were amazing. So distinct. The landscape ranged from soft, rolling hills to jagged peaks, which were as sharp as lava rock. The winds were wicked, but interestingly always at our back.

Our group (age range 45 to 60) really loved this trail.

amazing!

Very beautiful trail. The spring was disappointing.

The mysterious La Madre Trail, there's uphill and it could be quite challenging and it's a long trail but once you reach the end - Priceless! You can go deeper and deeper in the mountains but it goes uphill all the way (literally). I'd seen families bringing their children so it's safe because Red Rock has other Amazing yet challenging Trails that I wouldn't recommend it for children.

This trail provides spectacular views of the west side of the park. There are also ample opportunities to spot big horn sheep. We went counterclockwise, although I don't think it matters a whole lot in terms of rate of elevation gain if you go either way. Would do it again!

Didn’t realize I had to walk the last mike on the road, ended out of the trail ‘loop’ at willow springs. Did I miss a trail

I run all over the Las Vegas and this is the one I recommend to visitors. Fun single track and beautiful views of Red Rock, Las Vegas with lots of landscape and vegetation changes.

Very nice trail with amazing scenery. I came across a huge buck while running, he was beautiful. Highly recommended!

Great hike. We started from the first parking lot and made our way up towards the trail. It’s a gradual uphill climb, but nothing that had us stopping to catch our breath. The views changed as you make your way through the trail and made for a really interesting hike.

La Madre was a little deceiving, but that could be due to going in December and having merely no water flowing.

It tooks us around 3 hours to complete the trail.

Decided to bail outta the Vegas scene to get in some quiet time. The trail was moderately challenging at points but very enjoyable. Signs stated that are Burros in the area but didn’t run into any. Overall 2 thumbs up. Great hike!

beautiful scenery that changes as you go. Few uphill but a fairly easy hike. 3 hours.

loved it beautiful scene just be prepared before jumping onto this hike and get fluids in you and protect your skin love the hike it was beautiful will do again

Very cool spot not far from all the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas

Sunday, April 23, 2017

I did this trail last spring - started raining halfway through and I started having flash flood fear. (There was not nearly enough rain for that, but I grew up in Las Vegas and flash floods are a thing.) A nice long hike, not too challenging.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

White Rock Loop - La Madre Spring - Willow Spring Picnic Area - A moderate to easy hike in spots especially along the wide gravel road (junction of White Rock Loop and La Madre Spring Trail and onto Willow Spring Picnic Area). Nice views and a good trail to get out and about to exercise or do some trail running. On this day, the La Madre Spring was just about dried up but enough water was flowing to get your feet wet. Overall, the hike was enjoyable, but not very challenging.

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Part of this trail is on a rock road which was very busy with cars and people.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

I only went to the springs (1.7 miles) I enjoyed myself! Beautiful views! I had some less experienced hikers who said it was not worth the distance but I disagree.

Monday, March 13, 2017

awesome hike. beautiful Rock formation.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Added the La Madre Springs leg to this trips White Rock loop. Good overall hike and trails.

Monday, February 13, 2017

It was a difficult hike, lots of rocks and thin walk ways. According to my gearfit it was a total of 9 miles not 6 like the sign said. Im not sure if we trailed off but there are very few signs and lots of trails to follow so it can get confusing. it is really beautiful when you get up there! I enjoyed it but I wouldn't call it moderate, bring lots of water and great hiking shoes otherwise your feet are gonna hurt!

Monday, January 09, 2017

Great Trail. All skill levels can enjoy this. Would suggest hiking the trail counterclockwise for better views. I would definitely enjoy doing this Trail again and again.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Trail is a pleasant hike overall, but not my first choice at Red Rock Canyon. As other reviewers have pointed out, there are stretches of the white rock loop which are relatively uninteresting views of desert and gravel. Aside from a bit of incline, the path is fairly easy and I would rate as moderate. The northwestern portion of the loop gives you some beautiful views and are certainly worth seeing. As for the springs, they weren't very impressive when we visited in November, but we were told that in spring after the rain, they are fuller and quite beautiful.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Beginning is all gravel. Pretty easy and boring. At the end you can go to the water fall and it gets a lot more fun and interesting Came across a nice-sized tarantula on the way back

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Such a great hike. Beautifull views.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

First mile is all gravel and sucks. Next three miles have great views and are fun. Last two miles are just ok. Don't do the spring it's just some murky water.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Great! Very beautiful trail!

Friday, May 06, 2016

This was a great hike!!! We calculated 9.7 miles in 3hrs. The scenery is beautiful!!!

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Did the trail several times with my dogs. The best way to do is to start at the White Rock parking at the north east corner and hit the trail towards the north behind the mountain; this way you descend at the loose rocks as opposed to ascend. They are still annoying. The part with the parking for the picnic area is quite busy but it is a short walk and you are back on the trail fast. The trail itself is beautiful and versatile: at least 4 different types of ground cover from sand to rocks, red to grey and a great variety of vegetation from cactus to pines. Be careful in the summer: there is absolutely no shade on the south side and the temperatures are killing! Plus the snakes are out as well.