Learn more

White Owl Canyon via 33 Hole is a 3.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder City, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and fishing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 318 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail surprised me! Beautiful canyons, awesome landscapes. Download the map as you reach the second tunnel you will need to scramble up to what seemed like an abandoned road and make your way down to the second canyon. Follow me on Instagram @nathan_vanengen for photos and more awesome places to visit in the area

I’ve done this three times and still haven’t taken the correct path up to the bicycle path after the second tunnel. Today we were able to at least see the correct trail. So next time, I should be able to find it. Past the second tunnel, and then trail is on the right near some bigger rocks.

Loved this hike today! Park in the parking lot that has the White Owl Canyon sign. We were a parking lot over at first and then drove to the right start point. Lots of slot canyons, 3 culvert tunnels, bike path, more slot canyons, little mesas and views of Lake Mead. We started before 7am and I wouldn’t recommend going any later this time of year. The temperature was 84 when we finished the hike and it felt really hot at the end. Take plenty of water. There is lots of shade in the slots but then you are out in the sun at the end of the hike. Make sure you have the map downloaded- we used the map the whole time to stay on the right trail after the two tunnels. We wanted to do the full loop and we got lost just after we went through the two tunnels that are right next to each other. After wandering for about a mile looking for the trail, we scrambled up a hill and found the bike path/the trail that is right on top of the two tunnels. We went about 1/3 mile on the bike path to where we could see the trail on the gps taking off. It was hard to find the real trail but there was a small cairn off to the right that helped us find the way. The gps map was also nice on the way back as there were lots of trails going off different directions. Love this hike.

We did this starting late morning (10 am). Trail was cool -- we ventured off several times! I would suggest turning on your trail recording so you can follow the course since there are 0 trail markers besides the start! Some really cool rock formations and hidden gems along the way if you do the full loop!

Lots of great scenery. Almost June so hot! Started on the trail 9:30am. Shade in the canyons. Pack a lunch and stay for a bit. Didn’t finish the loop.

So first let me say that I thoroughly enjoyed this trail. It was a great length, awesome diversity of landscape and visuals and perfect amount of shade along the trail. I’m a bit new to hiking and so I’m realizing how much I have to learn. There are 3 places where there are tunnels that go underneath the freeway overpass. We were at the 3rd of those tunnels when as I was using my walking stick to probe, I heard a rattlesnake give me his signal. My eyes adjusted right at that time to the darkness and I saw him about 5 feet away (he was about 1.5 feet long). I decided to back up and cross the freeway overpass instead. This review is for the week ending 5/23 so it was fairly warm. Recommendation: if you’re going to do the tunnels, take a flashlight and use it.

We completed this trail 3 weeks ago. This was an enjoyable trail with some small challenges. We started in the first parking lot and went down the steep hill to start. We followed it around to a paved road and then popped off to continue on the path of this map. We encountered a very tough section with some climbing required, but didn't have adequate gear, and we had our 5 year old. We turned around and went back the way we came. Overall fun trail and not to taxing.

Great trail, beautiful scenery. You do have to pay attention near the tunnel where the trail continues.

Unable to get into lake mead

The narrows were beautiful! Lots of people on a Sunday. The loop is kind of confusing. You have to find River Mountain road, go left, and walk on that for a while until you can turn down a kinda unmarked path to go down a wash (?) where you’ll end up walking through some more narrows. There’s one part that’s kinda hard to get down, I had to jump down and carry my dog. Once you get past there, the trail is easily marked. You end up kinda walking past the lake!

Fyi, steep to descend and ascend into canyon, otherwise appeared relatively flat . We did not complete the loop.

Nice trail through the slot canyon. Great scenery and pictures. You can hear a lot of birds. First part of the trail is open. After exiting the slot canyon, it is wide open again.

awesome little hike.

Fun trail! Older kid friendly! My youngest is 6 and he enjoyed it! Lots of fun and beautiful spring blooms.

Great trail with lots to see and many other trails that intersect. From the starting point of the loop (at the parking lot) the first third of the trail in either direction is easy and a clearly marked path. Once you exit the second tunnel and have to double back up to the abandoned road the trail is not marked and it’s easy to walk right by where you need to turn to stay on the loop. Each section of the loop has a different landscape. The middle section can be a bit more challenging as the trail is narrower, much less travelled and requires a small scramble.

The hike back to the parking lot is the hardest part. Beautiful canyons! Watch for the giant nest!