Van Sickle Rim Trail Connector

Van Sickle Rim Trail Connector is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Stateline, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Entrance to Van Sickle Bi-State Park on Lakeview Pkwy. behind Heavenly Village.

Lovely hike gorgeous views

this trail is an annual ritual for me. it helps me acclimatize to the elevation for longer hikes later in the week

Nice hike. The Trail could be better marked, especially in the beginning. Lots of photo ops.

Beautiful trail!

Most of the hike was in the sun because of the Gondola fire. Recommend starting early. Beautiful waterfall.

A very nice, yet challenging hike into the sugar pine forest above heavenly. There's a wonderful small waterfall that you pass by as well as several small creeks that you cross. The views are spectacular.

Up to the very top and back clocks in at 7 miles, so i'd advise you to not bring young children on this hike expecting to get to the top. There are some great places to hike to along the way, however, that would make a great short hike.

Bring some water, pack sunscreen, and have proper footwear as I saw a few people in sandals having a very tough go.

Beautiful views of Tahoe!!

Nice walk with great views early on but there's little reward at the top, just a few rocks for a picnic before heading back down. Take plenty of water as some steep uphill sections are un-shaded.

Beautiful new trail! Could not quit taking pictures. Started at 7 am and almost the entire hike was shaded. Wasn’t very busy on a Wednesday that early in the morning, parking was easy, only saw 3 runners and two bikers the entire way until the last half mile on the return trip when several groups were headed up. So go early and enjoy the views!!

Awesome hike with great views!

Awesome

Great family hike — easy/moderate and very well-marked. We arrived at 9:45 am which allowed for easy parking, perfect weather and minimal foot traffic. Gorgeous views. Don’t miss the “Vista” sign — follow its direction for the best view of the lake from atop the rocks. Kids also enjoyed the California/Nevada border marker near the parking lot.

Hike this one for the views! Take your time to stop and take photos of Lake Tahoe and the surrounding mountains. From the trail head near the equestrian parking lot, follow the orange trail markers to the Tahoe Rim Trail intersection. Many hikers stop at the waterfall as their turnaround point. Start early, most of the hiking is in full sun and the trail gets crowded since it’s so close to the tourist area.

Great little hike, easy to moderate... great views of South Lake Tahoe

Great views and easy climb. Waterfall was fun!

This is a fun family hike we take every year up to the waterfall. There are great views of the lake. I agree with others to skip the Vista Point & look at the lake from the trail farther up.

We hiked to the waterfall; beautiful views of the lake through the trees.

Very well kept trail. Signaling is great, and the paths are very well marked. The views are not as great as Maggie’s Peaks or other in Desolation Wilderness though. The end, where it connects to TRT I had nothing special. The best views are midway to the top looking back at the South border of Lake Tahoe

It was pretty all the way up with a great view of the lake and the south lake mountains. However, the last 1.5 miles there wasn’t much to see. In comparison to other moderate hikes in the area (such as Maggie’s Peaks), this one was definitely on the easier side of moderate. The trail was very well maintained and there was no snow!

We took the Van Sickle connector as far as the falls. On our way back we went the Cal-Neva loop. Nice and shady. Not near as rocky. We then split off at the Barn Trail to finish our hike. Overall this was a very pleasant adventure. We did see a few Stellar Jays along the way. Quite impressive birds.

This was a great trail. The steepest part was towards the end of the trail- but even that wasn’t too difficult. The views are spectacular and we saw a few small patches of snow as we got up to around 7200 ft. Not too many flowers in bloom yet, but we did see plenty of chipmunks. We did see the poison oak that another reviewer warned about. It was a little more crowded coming down when we got closer to the waterfall- most people were just going as far as the bridge over the falls and then turning around. It is worth it to hike the full trail- the views just keep getting better. Also most of the way out is downhill so it was much easier coming back.

Nice hike with views. There is a fair amount of what very much resembles poison oak along the trail. 3 leafed, glossy, rippled leaves with non-thorny grayish stems. I would error on the side of caution and be careful what you touch along the way.

The first 2/3 of this trail is great but the last 1/3 is primarily just intended to join up with the Tahoe Rim Trail. I wouldn’t consider the end of this trail as a destination spot, so unless you are trying to continue on hiking onto the Tahoe Rim Trail, I recommend turning back around 2 miles in. The best views of Lake Tahoe are on the first half.

Great trail...very good climb for the kids and Easy to follow.

Booo

Great trail, easy to follow, not too steep. Fantastic views.

Beautiful views and easy access with markers throughout. Last 0.5 mile or so was covered in ice and snow so we turned around and made the trip back. A couple of small waterfalls are found along the path. We are avid hikers so we found this more easy than moderate. The trail is very open and wide the first mile or two then becomes a single track trail along the backside of the mountain.

I liked this trail a lot! It gives great views of the lake and western shore peaks. Hiked it today and it took me 3 hours to go to the end and back. As a primarily Appalachian hiker from TN I thought the trail was a good moderate level trail with little trail issues i.e. downed tree or erosion. One problem I encountered was right after the trailhead split with the Cali/Nevada line trail approx 1.5 miles in I lost the trail and spent 20 minutes in the brush trying to get back to trail. Otherwise great hike for a trail within walking distance from my South Tahoe hotel.

Great views of the lake

Great views and rewarding uphill climb. I hiked it mid -November and the weather was ideal.