Upper Thomas Creek Trail

Upper Thomas Creek Trail is a 5.5 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 north to Forest Road 094. Travel along this road west until the trailhead.

15 minutes ago

great app

*easy grade.
*great shade.
*lotsa water for the dogs.
*unpopulated on an "off" day ( NOT on sat/sun/holiday).
*quiet.

It was thundering and raining for our hike today - we enjoyed it. Saw very few other hikers, perhaps due to rain.

A great hike for both people and dogs. We were thankful for the shade and the water.

This hike is perfect anytime of day due to the shade the trees provide. It is a mellow climb and beautiful. If you drive past the first parking lot and go further up the dirt road there is additional parking. Starting closer to the top allows for different views and less people.

Relaxing stroll in a scenic forested area next to a creek.

Great hike. Went on the 4th of July so it was busy but not as bad as I thought. Tons of dogs! All were very friendly and it was a great training experience for my pup. Shaded most the way until after the turn to Dry Pond. You start to go up the hill and lose the shade from the trees. Cool place to check out. The dog and kid enjoyed cooling off in the creek.

Did this trail today, well into the Mt. Rose Wilderness and finally turned around at the Rim to Reno north loop intersection. This took about 5 hours total, from the trailhead. Unlike what others have mentioned, the trail does eventually become exposed to sun at times, and does also become more steep- as where I turned around, I was over 9000' elevation. The water is still going strongly at the water crossing sites, of which there are several, despite it being July! Once you arrive at Mt. Rose Wilderness, which was about 2 1/2 hours into the hike for me, bicycles become forbidden. I didn't pass even one other person on the upper part of the trail today. Very serene and well worth doing!

Nice and shady, right by the creek, lots and lots of trees. Good place for kids

Really enjoyed this hike. Even this 67 year old was able to hike it without any difficulty. It was beautiful with shade and light breezes. We will do it again!

Good out and back hike. Add Dry Pond and White’s Creek for a great loop!

This hike is quite shady. Don't make my mistake and wear sunglasses. You do follow the creek basically the whole way. Lots of pine, birch, little waterfalls. It's a cute trail. The trail head starts at the very bottom of the treeline. It is easy to find with the google. Where the trail ends is a mystery. I turned around after an hour, making it a straight two hour hike. There is a parking lot at the TH. The sunny alternative to this hike is the Lower trail, which I actually preferred because I love sun.

Beautiful trail, follows the creek the whole way, steady mellow incline. Did it after work in a little less than two hours

Really beautiful trail. I hiked this with my 15 month-old in the carrier and we had a great time. Lots of shade, and the inclines weren’t too bad. Be on the lookout for bicyclists - one had a bell on their bike which was very helpful! The trail is on the road for a hundred feet or so; just follow the signs. It was nice to get on a trail that was shaded without having to drive too far. I would say this is a good trail if you have kids too; no steep drop-offs and it’s nice to go along the creek most of the way.

Note on getting to the trailhead: follow Timberline Road until it becomes a dirt road, cross the bridge and stay right. The parking lot with the bathroom for the trailhead is up the hill on the left. You can turn left just after the bridge and park along the creek, and be closer to the start of the trail, but there’s no bathroom there.

Bathroom at trailhead: yes
Stroller-friendly: no

great place to go and spend half a day. very beautiful, the creek is great it is nice to listen to. Lots of traffic, pay attention for bikes coming from behind.
lots of dogs. if you keep on Upper Thomas Creek Trail, you will head up to Washoe Wildness and the people really thin out. I had a great day.

Wasn’t sure what to expect. We are new to the area, it had rained all morning, and I haven’t hiked in awhile. This is a beautiful trail! From the beginning of the trail, surrounded by beautiful trees. Trail was well maintained and marked well. I only had running shoes and it was fine. Will definitely be back.

Hiked 5/6/18. Love this trail. I extended past what is on All Trails to about 5.75 miles out (11 miles round trip) to just before the switchbacks. Someone earlier said the trail is overgrown and “disappears”. It actually doesn’t. You have to cross the bridge to get to the right side of the creek at about 1.50 miles. The trail continues from there between the road and the creek. The trail is well maintained and is a gradual climb. The creek is wonderful to listen to and the mini waterfalls ate gorgeous. The tree variation is nice, and there was snow on the north face of the mountains (not on the trail for as far as I went). Lots of people and dogs for the first couple of miles but many take the Dry Pond loop so they quickly disappear

Love the sound of the creek. After this last snowfall; there is about 2" at the bottom and 4" at the top. The creek running over the road with no bridge is fairly wide and didn't want to take the chance of wet paws.

Great trail!

Snowed over right now! Can’t hike it unless you have snow shoes!

Always a great trail. Be careful if you are going all the way to the Mt Rose Wilderness, as the last creek crossing is very icy.

Great hike this morning despite the chill in the air. Nice trail, just wish people would keep there dogs on a leash. Looking forward to going back

Beautiful place

I've been hiking this trail for about 12 years and it's become heavily used at this point and the wear and tear is concerning. Also a lot of people bring their dogs off leash and leave excrement everywhere. Very often bags of waste are scattered all over as well. What bothers me the most are the mountain bikers. They are really degrading the trail at this point. Many are rude and expect a hiker to move out of the way at a moment's notice. There is heavy dust that hangs in the air after they go by. Other than that, can't beat the beautiful little creek, change of Aspen trees in the fall and the surrounding mountains.

Just love this hike. Gorgeous!

beautiful hike! nice and shady... I'll be back next time I'm in the area!

This was a good hike but the trail that All Trails shows is obsolete. Toward the turn around point the trail does not exist anymore. It is very over grown and there is now private property signs and fences blocking the older trail. Also when I finished the hike my miles were 7.7 miles but after I saved it the app now tracks the recording as 6.9 miles. So somewhere I lost almost a mile of hike. That is kind of disappointing.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

This was a great trail!!!! It was shady most of the way and was a great day hike. You have to share the trail with bicyclists and horses, but the farther you walk the less people there are.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Great shaded trail with plenty of water to filter from. We also found an old car that rolled down the hill from the road. Pretty cool!

Sunday, July 02, 2017

very shaded. when we got to the bigger bridge it seemed the trail faded out. at that point we turned around. from trail head took us about 3 hrs. out & back