Upper Thomas Creek Trail

Upper Thomas Creek Trail is a 5.5 mile out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Crystal Bay: Take Highway 431 north to Forest Road 094. Travel along this road west until the trailhead.

Really beautiful trail. I hiked this with my 15 month-old in the carrier and we had a great time. Lots of shade, and the inclines weren’t too bad. Be on the lookout for bicyclists - one had a bell on their bike which was very helpful! The trail is on the road for a hundred feet or so; just follow the signs. It was nice to get on a trail that was shaded without having to drive too far. I would say this is a good trail if you have kids too; no steep drop-offs and it’s nice to go along the creek most of the way.

Note on getting to the trailhead: follow Timberline Road until it becomes a dirt road, cross the bridge and stay right. The parking lot with the bathroom for the trailhead is up the hill on the left. You can turn left just after the bridge and park along the creek, and be closer to the start of the trail, but there’s no bathroom there.

Bathroom at trailhead: yes
Stroller-friendly: no

great place to go and spend half a day. very beautiful, the creek is great it is nice to listen to. Lots of traffic, pay attention for bikes coming from behind.
lots of dogs. if you keep on Upper Thomas Creek Trail, you will head up to Washoe Wildness and the people really thin out. I had a great day.

Wasn’t sure what to expect. We are new to the area, it had rained all morning, and I haven’t hiked in awhile. This is a beautiful trail! From the beginning of the trail, surrounded by beautiful trees. Trail was well maintained and marked well. I only had running shoes and it was fine. Will definitely be back.

Hiked 5/6/18. Love this trail. I extended past what is on All Trails to about 5.75 miles out (11 miles round trip) to just before the switchbacks. Someone earlier said the trail is overgrown and “disappears”. It actually doesn’t. You have to cross the bridge to get to the right side of the creek at about 1.50 miles. The trail continues from there between the road and the creek. The trail is well maintained and is a gradual climb. The creek is wonderful to listen to and the mini waterfalls ate gorgeous. The tree variation is nice, and there was snow on the north face of the mountains (not on the trail for as far as I went). Lots of people and dogs for the first couple of miles but many take the Dry Pond loop so they quickly disappear

Love the sound of the creek. After this last snowfall; there is about 2" at the bottom and 4" at the top. The creek running over the road with no bridge is fairly wide and didn't want to take the chance of wet paws.

Great trail!

Snowed over right now! Can’t hike it unless you have snow shoes!

Good place to get up in some trees quick if your in Reno. However it’s nothing special.

Always a great trail. Be careful if you are going all the way to the Mt Rose Wilderness, as the last creek crossing is very icy.

Great hike this morning despite the chill in the air. Nice trail, just wish people would keep there dogs on a leash. Looking forward to going back

Beautiful place

I've been hiking this trail for about 12 years and it's become heavily used at this point and the wear and tear is concerning. Also a lot of people bring their dogs off leash and leave excrement everywhere. Very often bags of waste are scattered all over as well. What bothers me the most are the mountain bikers. They are really degrading the trail at this point. Many are rude and expect a hiker to move out of the way at a moment's notice. There is heavy dust that hangs in the air after they go by. Other than that, can't beat the beautiful little creek, change of Aspen trees in the fall and the surrounding mountains.

Just love this hike. Gorgeous!

beautiful hike! nice and shady... I'll be back next time I'm in the area!

This was a good hike but the trail that All Trails shows is obsolete. Toward the turn around point the trail does not exist anymore. It is very over grown and there is now private property signs and fences blocking the older trail. Also when I finished the hike my miles were 7.7 miles but after I saved it the app now tracks the recording as 6.9 miles. So somewhere I lost almost a mile of hike. That is kind of disappointing.

This was a great trail!!!! It was shady most of the way and was a great day hike. You have to share the trail with bicyclists and horses, but the farther you walk the less people there are.

Great shaded trail with plenty of water to filter from. We also found an old car that rolled down the hill from the road. Pretty cool!

very shaded. when we got to the bigger bridge it seemed the trail faded out. at that point we turned around. from trail head took us about 3 hrs. out & back

No clear turnaround point. It is a good starting point for the Rim-to-Reno trail of you're interested in hiking 23 miles to Mt Rose.

Peaceful run, sounds of water.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Very steep incline but so pretty. Definitely a bit challenging.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Great, shaded trail. Lots of runoff. Dry Pond was amazing.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

Nicely maintained trail with a lot of tree coverage. Very popular. Many people on the trail this day (including dogs) - unfortunately almost all of the dogs were not leashed. Trail has a gradual incline with a couple decent inclines. Not too bad though. Creek was running nicely after our epic winter. Will do this trail again.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Beautifu wooded creek trail. We passed through the lower thomas creek trail, then went into the upper trail and followed the stream all the way with some creek jumps. We try to climb the final part of the upper taril however, there is still some thick snow covered the tiptilted trail, we had to give up. But this is a great trail and we will be back definetly.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Great trail. Follows the stream the entire way. I hike this one connecting to dry pond and back down Whites creek several times per week. As of today, there's only a small patch of snow left on the trail... not an obstacle.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

our newest favorite hike. beautiful wooded area, and the creek jumping is fun. too much snow at the top towards the "Rim", than we were prepared for today. we will definetly be back!

Friday, April 21, 2017

Absolutely loved this trail. The hike by the creek and through the woods is calming, enjoyable, and made my day. As of April 2017, 2 miles (give or take) the trail/road is washed out. I had to turn back, didn't feel like taking a swim in the creek. I am definitely coming back to this trail on my next visit to Reno!

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Loved it!!!

Monday, February 06, 2017

Wonderful hike. Even in the winter time.

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Beautiful trail! The snow was pretty packed so the snow shoes weren't completely necessary, but I was still really thankful I had them at several points throughout the hike. My dog loved it too! Would definitely love to do this hike again, both in snow and warmer weather.