Upper Bristlecone Trail

Upper Bristlecone Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 853 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail begins in a nicely forested area with white fir and large aspen, and climbs until you reach the rugged, exposed upper slopes with bristlecone pines. The trail is easy to follow for both hikers and bikes, with many spots along the trail to stop and admire the view. Be sure and look up at the ski slopes in Lee Canyon, you will often see wild horses grazing on the grass in late spring, summer, and fall. The flexibility of this trail can be appreciated by all levels of hikers; tailor the hike to the type of terrain you enjoy. Plenty of lunch spots along the trail, but no water to hike to.

Great trail. Not too difficult and good for dogs. There’s nice spots near the top to eat a sandwich and admire the view. No restrooms at beginning of trail though

Awesome trail! Lots of shades and gorgeous views!

Great easy to moderate hike. Beautiful and varied scenery. The only negative is the people who don’t clean up after their dogs. There were many “land mines” especially at the beginning of the trail. Maybe provide some poop bags st the trailhead. Otherwise spectacular!

recorded Recording - Sep 01, 2:12 PM

Upper Birstlecone and Bonanza with the Haunted Forest.

Went on this hike with my husband and our 6 month old son. Moderate incline, plenty of shade, and extraordinary view when you get to the top. Loved it.

Great hike, not too strenuous with decent shade for the pups.

Perfect day for a great hike. Started out at 5pm when it was 70 degrees and finished two hours later when it was 60 degrees. It was cool, crisp, and peaceful the entire way. Fantastic views. Saw a bunch of wild horses as I was driving out (I guess maybe they come out to graze around dusk?). One of the most enjoyable hikes I've ever had.

Great hike. Wide trail with a gradual Incline. started at 6:30am the first of August and it was in the upper 50's. I was the first person on the trail that got a little busy later. Was able to get good pics of wild life including a deer that seemed as curious of me as I was of her. it was exactly 2.4 miles to the junction of Lower Bristlecone trail. Good views. Only down side was a kid smoking on the trail. On the one hand to be climbing at that altitude and puffing on a cancer stick...to be young, foolish and be able to get away with it, wow. It kind of sucked breathing smoke on such a beautiful nature hike, but a good hike regardless. Took me just under 2 hours and there were about 18 cars parked when I left the trailhead at 8:30. I'll be back to this one.

My family and I really enjoyed this hike . It was so nice to beat the heat and be in the Forrest. We even got to see 5 wild horses. Wow were they beautiful. Gorgeous fews and lots of places to stop and take in all the beauty. We will definitely be going back to do it again.

recorded Upper Bristlecone Trail

This is my favorite trail in the Mt. Charleston area. It’s perfect for my skill and fitness levels. The trail is well marked and nicely maintained. The views are wonderful.

With Bernice and the boys. We'll make it all the way next time!

Beautiful trail with spectacular views. No snow on trail now. Well-defined trail but no trail markers. Only saw 3 other couples hiking entire trail. Definitely recommend it

nice fun moderate trail. would do it again. about 3 hours to finish walking at a normal pace.

We didn’t get too far into the trail when we quickly realized the snow was knee-deep. There are rails alongside the trail and the snow was covering much of the railing, making the trail hard to follow. We thought we could push through, but we kept sinking into the snow & thought it would be dangerous to continue. The view at the beginning was beautiful, and I definitely want to return when there isn’t snow to give this trail a proper try.

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Great trail, easy to follow. Moderate trail. Beautiful trees all along the way.

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Pretty walks through the trees and lots of shade and a nice view at the top. You can continue the trail to complete lower bristlecone, but you will have to hike back up the road to your vehicle.

Monday, September 17, 2018

Very cool trail. Not super aggressive, but pretty.

Wednesday, September 05, 2018

We love this trail. If you want to do the entire loop, start from Lower Bristlecone Trail. Otherwise, you will have to finish the loop with a grueling march back to your car, about 800-900 ft. gain in just over a half mile. It's not unusual to see wild horses, burros, or chipmunks in the general area. The Upper Bristlecone is shaded, whereas you'll take in a lot of rays on the lower part, so remember sunscreen. Where the upper and lower meet, you can stray off on Bonanza Trail too.

Tuesday, September 04, 2018

It gets pretty chilly up there. Also hailed and rained on us. If you get cold fast bring a jacket. It was a fun and easy hike!

Sunday, September 02, 2018

My friend and I kind of stumbled upon this hike because we didn’t realize there was a trail near lee canyon. It was a really great hike through the forest. There are a lot of aspens and parts of the trail go through an ephemeral stream. It’s really pretty. The views at the end of the trail are well worth the trek in. It looked like you could even keep going at the end, and if we had more time we would’ve gone further.

Monday, August 20, 2018

Gorgeous View...

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Awesome trail, we took the upper bristlecone trail and headed farther up the mountain following bonanza then hit what is labeled as “old bristlecone trail” on the way back. It wasn’t as maintained as the upper trail but was stunning and had shade the whole way back. It was an amazing 8 mile hike going around that route

Friday, July 13, 2018

We went in early November and the aspen trees were on point! A nice hike for the kiddos too.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Great hike with awesome views! did the upper and lower for the 5.6 mile loop. Next time we plan to just hike the upper out and back to stay in the shade more.

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Eftttgh

Sunday, June 10, 2018

Amazing views through out, especially as you get closer to the turn around point. Overall a simple, straightforward hike.

Saturday, June 09, 2018

beautiful trail which is easier on the knees. we saw wild mustangs.

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Beautiful scenery, amazing 64 degree weather. The trail is very easy to find and very defined the whole way to the top. Lovely breeze and trees. Can’t wait to go back. Oh no fees to enter the “park”.

Monday, June 04, 2018

I started at the Upper Bristlecone and did the Loop down to the Lower Bristlecone which is the end of the trail. So to get back to the upper trail parking lot, you would have to hike along the side of the road which I didn’t know..It was a very long hike for me.. Burnt lots of calories.. lol!!

Monday, May 21, 2018

Impromtu hike this morning. Just me and my dog. I try to find trails that aren't too rocky since he tends to crecks his paws. this terrain was perfect for him. Was a fairly easy hike. Overall a little over two hours round trip. I came in mid May and everything was beautiful. quite a few butterflies lots of vocal birds and a lot of beautiful trees - can get a little chilly at the top of the mountain so of your coming in earlier months or on a windy weekend you may want a light sweater. Enjoy!