Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Upper Bristlecone Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 853 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail begins in a nicely forested area with white fir and large aspen, and climbs until you reach the rugged, exposed upper slopes with bristlecone pines. The trail is easy to follow for both hikers and bikes, with many spots along the trail to stop and admire the view. Be sure and look up at the ski slopes in Lee Canyon, you will often see wild horses grazing on the grass in late spring, summer, and fall. The flexibility of this trail can be appreciated by all levels of hikers; tailor the hike to the type of terrain you enjoy. Plenty of lunch spots along the trail, but no water to hike to.

scenic driving

Lower bristlecone

Great weather, use sunblock

icy

Hiked lower Bristlecone trail to upper Bristlecone trail. Still snow but not too much. Hard packed enough that decent shoes can get through. Had a lot of fun. Beautiful scenery. 2nd time on this hike first time finished.

icy

ATTN: BRING WATERPROOF BOOTS & DOWNLOAD MAP (while snow is still apparent) So let me start out by saying I’m pretty familiar with Mt. Charleston when it comes to camping as well as snowboarding at Lee Canyon. I had never done this loop before so I figured my pup and I could get a pretty nice long hike in. With that being said after you get past the initial railed walkway you get right into the snow. At times ( without warning) will go up to your thigh or higher. Still doable, but definitely not what we were expecting. My dog (who is a short hair greyhound) had relatively no problem galloping through it. After getting through the initial snow you end up finding a the trail again but are quickly lost in heavy snow again. (Long story short ) we went off trail about 2.5 miles. Eventually we found our way back but I would strongly suggest downloading the map before! All and all great adventure and would do again with the proper tools. ( only gave it 4 stars because the trail isn’t clear at the moment)

Beautiful trail but we were only able to hike in about a mile until the snow was too deep to continue without boots or snow shoes.

icy

I’m a fairly new hiker, the beginning and areas throughout were very icy. Areas of snow that’s not packed in will send you 6-12 inches deep. The trail itself was hard to follow with no signs and i did make the mistake of not downloading a map. With the faults in mind the trail was still beautiful, we got there at 6 am and hiked a bit to see the sunrise. I do recommend for a well prepared hiker.

A great heavily wooded trail that allows you to get truly lost on the beauty of the natural world.

six to 8 inches of snow, travelled but not too much, only saw a few people on trail. Great view at top of ridge.

Great hike. I continued on to the ridge line for an awesome sunset.

An excellent hike. First, I was almost scared off by reviewers who said that the ascent on the Upper Trail was very difficult. It wasn’t. It was a super easy, very gradual incline. We just did the upper and were not disappointed. It is a wooded trail that has spectacular mountain views throughout. Bring some cold weather gear though as it was 55-48 degrees on our hike when it was 75 degrees in Las Vegas.

Indys first hike!!!

love it.saw some wild horses on the way to trailhead. lots of race car mustangs giving me the finger. ttail is well maintained

Great trail. Not too difficult and good for dogs. There’s nice spots near the top to eat a sandwich and admire the view. No restrooms at beginning of trail though

Awesome trail! Lots of shades and gorgeous views!

Great easy to moderate hike. Beautiful and varied scenery. The only negative is the people who don’t clean up after their dogs. There were many “land mines” especially at the beginning of the trail. Maybe provide some poop bags st the trailhead. Otherwise spectacular!

My boyfriend and I took our 11 year old pit bull for a hike and she loved it!! Lots of shade and easy climb. We didn’t make it to the end as pups got tired. We expected there to be a lot more people as it’s Labor Day! we had a blast!!!

recorded Recording - Sep 01, 2:12 PM

Upper Birstlecone and Bonanza with the Haunted Forest.

Went on this hike with my husband and our 6 month old son. Moderate incline, plenty of shade, and extraordinary view when you get to the top. Loved it.

Great hike, not too strenuous with decent shade for the pups.

Perfect day for a great hike. Started out at 5pm when it was 70 degrees and finished two hours later when it was 60 degrees. It was cool, crisp, and peaceful the entire way. Fantastic views. Saw a bunch of wild horses as I was driving out (I guess maybe they come out to graze around dusk?). One of the most enjoyable hikes I've ever had.

Great hike. Wide trail with a gradual Incline. started at 6:30am the first of August and it was in the upper 50's. I was the first person on the trail that got a little busy later. Was able to get good pics of wild life including a deer that seemed as curious of me as I was of her. it was exactly 2.4 miles to the junction of Lower Bristlecone trail. Good views. Only down side was a kid smoking on the trail. On the one hand to be climbing at that altitude and puffing on a cancer stick...to be young, foolish and be able to get away with it, wow. It kind of sucked breathing smoke on such a beautiful nature hike, but a good hike regardless. Took me just under 2 hours and there were about 18 cars parked when I left the trailhead at 8:30. I'll be back to this one.

My family and I really enjoyed this hike . It was so nice to beat the heat and be in the Forrest. We even got to see 5 wild horses. Wow were they beautiful. Gorgeous fews and lots of places to stop and take in all the beauty. We will definitely be going back to do it again.