Learn more

Turtlehead Peak Trail is a 4.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blue Diamond, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,988 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Isolated walk past petroglyphs to ridge line with views of Sandstone Quarry. Well worn path to the summit of Turtlehead Mountain. Alternate exits exist for this classic Red Rock Canyon Peak. Established in 1990 by special legislation the Red Rock Recreation Lands status was changed to a National Conservation Area. The area is comprised of 195,819 acres and is located 17 miles west of the Las Vegas Strip. More than 30 miles of hiking trails exists in this scenic area including the well worn path to the summit of Turtlehead Mountain. This classic Red Rock Canyon Peak offers stunning views of Las Vegas and the Red Rock Canyon mountain skyline.

Very challenging trail. Strong recommendation for hiking poles or good gloves as there is a lot of loose rock and scree. Trail marks vary with some rather new looking stone baskets with arrows. Green, white, and red spray paint markings help guide the way as well.

I’m up here right now, didn’t see anyone else on the trail. Beautiful view and a great workout I was dying! Haha

fee

This trail was awesome. A lot of uphill to do and some scrambling, but well worth it! Over looks all of Vegas! And wear sunscreen because there is no shade whatsoever

great!

Such an amazing hike! It is a bit challenging as other reviews mention but I don't believe it's nearly as bad as they make it out to be. It does feel like more than 4.6 miles though with all the uphill! On the way up, my boyfriend and I did get a little lost off trail as we ended up on a very steep scramble up and had to go sideways to get back on to a more defined trail. I feel very apologetic for the father & son who appeared to have followed us and ended up turning around as it was also our first time and we were the wrong people to follow! But we made it to the top in one piece, and on the way down, couldn't even figure out where we made a wrong turn. It was beautiful views on top, and was not at all crowded when we arrived at 8AM on 6/28. We passed maybe 3 people in total and had the peak all to ourselves. We were lucky that it was windy and not too hot on the day we went but as always, recommend bringing plenty of water!

Early start 7AM at the Calico tanks parking area ensured I was hiking up most of the steepest sections in the shade, a nice bonus when it was going to be 100F in Red Rock today. Views are really good, the graffiti is not. The bluetooth music, at any volume, is not [you are not my personal DJ so use earbuds if you need to tune out nature].

Hiked June 24, pretty steep and rocky but the view is incredible from the top

This trail was awesome! Not too long and worth the view! It was a little hard to follow the trail as for it was not clearly marked, but there were spray painted dots along the way to guide us.

It is a hard trail, due to the rocky and gravelly terrain, but we did it as a family of four - a 7 year old, a 10 year old, and us parents. The views on the top are really great. We had a great time! There's no water on the trail, and no shade. Don't forget to sign the book at the top. The beginning of the trail is very clearly marked, but the top is a bit more difficult to discern. There are spray painted markings that are red, white, or green.

Amazing time hiking this trail. Reaching the top felt like a real accomplishment since I’m used to much flatter trails. Went in early May, 60 degrees and beautiful. Would definitely recommend

I’d call this hike moderate to hard, closer to hard. My dog is a very fit Sheppard/Rott mix that is very experienced hiking and there were a few hard areas to come down from, but going up was fairly easy for her. There are a few areas with shade like against rocks or larger trees where you can rest and drink water out of the sun but they are few and far between so take advantage of every one you see, especially if your dog is dark like mine (she’s black). Some areas of the trail were very hard to discern. Eventually the sign posts go away and your only markers are spray painted dots on rocks. For the most part they are easy to follow, but there are some areas where you have the potential to get a little lost.

Great trail, beautiful views the whole way up went early June 2020, decent amount of wildflowers still in bloom, some juniper and pinyon pine, hummingbirds, cottontail. Dope 360 view from the top of: Vegas, Calico Hills, and La Madres. Wear sunscreen and bring enough water. I made a short video of the hike if you wanna see what you're in for: https://youtu.be/RBUgbPSEWco YouTube: On the Rd Turtlehead Peak Happy trails.

The new trail markers at Turtlehead Peak and Calico Tanks make the trails much easier to navigate. Great hike to Turtlehead Peak. When you are challenged by the steep ascent, take time to turn around to appreciate the views behind you. The best view of the strip is below the summit. Descent is slippery, take your time. Memorable experience!

We enjoyed the trail -- definitely not easy! Up hill most of the way, loose rock coming down (so be careful). Worth it for the view!

Still like it, but I do feel there are a lot more loose rocks than before, which can be difficult to manage on the way down.

closed
fee

Excellent day hike. It took a bit longer because I added 2.5 miles walking in from the main entrance. If I did it again I would have joined the lower trail and this one for a definite challenge. great view of the cities from the peak. It was very windy that day. Wind could nearly push my off my footing coming down. I completed this hike Mid-May

Did this months ago, Great trail with great views especially at the peak! Definitely the hardest trail I have ever done. Be prepared for a steady climb and unstable conditions going down. Hiking shoes and posts definitely a plus. Definite must do if you’re looking for a challenge.

Very difficult but ofcourse worth the view at the end. Getting back down is way scarier with the loose gravel and tight slope.

Was a difficult trail for me due to some scrambling and steep terrain. Loved doing it and enjoyed the challenge. The summit has amazing views!!

Steep inclines and and slippery rocks for last two thirds of hike to peak. Amazing views of Red Rock Canyon throughout hike and Las Vegas valley at peak. Moving at decent pace and stopping a few times about a 3 hour hike.

This trail isn’t very long but has a solid uphill. I’d recommend this hike to anyone and a rating of moderate. MAKE SURE to have proper footwear, trail has loose rocks and gravel especially the first uphill. Good luck and enjoy the view from the top.

We had an awesome time hiking this trail. We went on a Saturday in the middle of March and only came across about 30 other hikers. Maybe we got lucky, but I highly recommend checking it out. If you are in decent shape its not to bad of a route, there were even a few dogs we saw along the way.

The view from the top was phenomenal. The hike itself was okay. It’s rocky with lots of scree if you go off trail a little bit. It’s mostly a class 2 scramble with one or two class 3 moves. Many tourists. Worth doing if you want to see a great view of Red Rock, Mount Charleston and Vegas!