Tunnel Creek Trail

Tunnel Creek Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Incline Village, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Had a quick visit to Reno, NV and visiting Lake Tahoe was a must. This hike was exactly what I was looking for; a view of the lake (an amazing one at that!) and a chance to be in the mountains. Went down to hidden beach on the way back too! Highly recommend this trail!

Nice hike on well-packed snow. Some icy spots. Nice views around the 1 mile mark, but a lot of time spent in the woods. Parking seems like it could be a little tight in summer around the diner.

Amazing! Beautiful views the entire way. Steady incline all the way up, but you are stopping to take it all in anyway so you will get plenty of breaks!

Legendary Flume Trail! Take this 1.5 mi, 5 mi, 7 mi all the way up to the entire 15 mi trail. Incredible Lake Tahoe vistas all along the way. Solid vertical climb so you get a great workout in as well. Bring water as it gets hot and dry. Careful of mountain bikers if you’re walking a dog. Enjoy the hike! Enjoy the views!!

Absolutely breathtaking! Highly recommend. Do this hike. Stunning views all the way up and they keep getting better. Steady uphill the whole way, but plenty of rocks to stop and sit and rest as needed. Lots of turnoffs to explore as well. Definitely will go back!

Love this hike! Even if you only a mild in and back out you’ll love it! Today we went to the top.

One of the best hikes I’ve ever been on in Tahoe! Amazing views all the way up, in late October the most BEAUTIFUL fall colors. Definitely constant incline that will get your heart rate up but nothing unreasonable! Loved every second of it and the views at the vista at the top are stunning! Great dog trail too. I went on a Thursday and it was moderately busy near the bottom - I imagine it’s insane on weekends!

You won’t regret it. Peaceful and beautiful.

Loved that there was a beautiful view at every turn. Windy and cold as we got higher! Winter is on the way. We caught a beautiful sunset at the Samuel Clemens bench - maybe two miles up? Wide, well-maintained trail.

This was a gorgeous hike in October with the trees changing colors. I would agree with the “moderate” rating Tunnel Creek Trail received as the entire path is uphill but the incline isn’t too severe. Our dog had an awesome time on this hike and I believe the graded trail had something to do with it. However, there is little shade and no water sources for dogs so bring plenty of water. We started hiking a little before 10 so it was pretty quiet on our way up. Traffic increased as we were coming down the trail around noon. There is a $2.00 per person charge to use the trail but it’s worth it because the trail is very well maintained. With an endless supply of stunning views and a solid cardio workout, you can’t go wrong hiking Tunnel Creek Trail.

Very well kept trail, beautiful views.

Nice view and amazing I love it

OMG!

*bring lots of water.
*be mindful of many, many mountain bikers.
*very picturesque.

Amazing views and well maintained...not sure about the mile markers because we never saw any.

Lovely hike with beautiful views. Limited parking, so better to get there early. We didn’t think the mountain bikers were obnoxious, but it was nice to know we would encounter them along the way. Entire way there is uphill. We are averagely fit people, and it was a moderate hike for us. We’ll be coming back again!

Great hike, fantastic views and very few other people!

What a great trail. It starts off with a bit of a steep incline but if you can hang in there it is well worth it. When you get to a grouping of rocks on the right (I think about 1.5 miles in you will want to take a little path off the the left. It takes you to Monkey Rock and some of the best views of Lake Tahoe. My husband and I are over 60 wand managed it well but you definitely want to be in decent shape

Awesome views!

I am giving this trail four stars for the views alone. (Before I get into the review, let’s talk about the rating system for a moment. This trail is designated as “moderate”; however, if you’re slightly out of shape you will quickly learn that it should have been labeled as “most likely to send you into cardiac arrest.” It’s steep.) This trail has a TON of mountain bikers and many of them come barreling down the trail without warning. This gets annoying pretty quickly. Now, to be fair, some of them seem to be well versed in trail etiquette, but not all.

Hiked this on 6/23/2018 with my kiddo in the hiking pack. The views of Lake Tahoe are just beautiful. We parked along Route 28, just across from the cafe.

It is U P H I L L all the way up with no real flat sections. Lots of mountain bikers who were very courteous; just be mindful of them coming around the corners. There was some shade on the trail but it was mostly exposed. We turned around at 2 miles instead of continuing up to the Flume Trail connection because we wanted to see the monkey/gorilla rock. That was really neat and worth the slight side trip.

As you’re headed back down the trail, you’ll come to an intersection with a signpost that says “trail” and has arrows pointing left and right. Take the upper right trail and after a couple hundred yards you’ll come to some boulders on a hill, you can see the monkey rock just down the hill to the right of the boulders as you’re facing the lake.

Bathrooms at trailhead: Yes, but for cafe customers only. My toddler loved the strawberry smoothie :)
Stroller-friendly: Technically yes, in that the trail is pretty smooth and wide, but I’d recommend a carrier.

Just a wonderful, super scenic hike. You can make it any length you need.
Great sandwiches at the Cafe at the bottom. We took them to go and had lunch at Sand Harbor. Perfect!

Rated moderate only for the incline. Easily walked up while in a sling 3 weeks after rotator cuff surgery. Views are awesome. The stop and turn around is really not a destination. You just turn around at 2.4 or anywhere you choose.
There is no parking behind the cafe as of now. You have to park in side of hwy then begin your walk up and past the cafe. The trail won’t start for about a quarter of a mile or a little more.

Great hike, it’s been a while since I have hiked so it took me a bit, but loved the spots to stop and take pictures, then great food at the end.

Amazing views! And this is the perfect weather to do the hike!

Absolutely beautiful!

Really lovely hike, especially if you’re looking for something not too far from Reno. The views are beautiful and the hike isn’t too hard. Really stunning rocks to climb and scramble on and also get a great view.

Tez z

Great views!!! Upper half of the hike was beautiful but stopped in an uneventful way. Had to hike off trail a bit to get to see the highest view of the lake!

Great hike, gorgeous views. Fairly trafficked