Trail Canyon Overlook

Trail Canyon Overlook is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Seldom used deer path leads beyond Cathedral Rock for nice view of Trail Canyon This is a nice workout with a steady climb and mostly tree lined the entire way. You'll follow the same trail as for Cathedral Rock, but will continue on the main trail straight instead of turning R for the path to the top of Cathedral Rock. When you reach the end of the main trail (past Cathedral Rock turnoff), look for the culvert with a cast iron lid (36.25422, 115.65699 elev. 8510) -- be sure and stay to the R as you cross the first gravel drainage (you're now just above Little Falls). Overlook is at 36.26024, 115.66049, elev. 8790. Try to stay on the deer path even though it is steep and slippery (pine needles).

I only marked it as decent because I could not finish the trail. I was only checking my app sporadically and wound up at Cathedral Rock (first time up these trails). I backtracked to the turn and headed for the Trail Canyon Overlook. The turn toward TCO is marked by a 4x4 post in the ground. If there was a sign it is no longer there. A little over half a mile later, it dead ends; right where the map shows a sharp right turn. There is no path there. I pushed through and came upon a built up manhole cover, but couldn’t go any further. I also tried scrabbling around the area to see if I could circumvent the growth, but no such luck.

Still, it is beautiful up here! I’ll give Cathedral Rock 5 stars.

Monday, December 05, 2016

Incredible view, great trail. Been hiking here for years. One of my faves.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

This was a very step climb with a lot of loose rock. It gets your heart pumping but the end is a breath taking view.

Monday, June 05, 2017