Learn more

Titus Canyon Road is a 26 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Beatty, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 26.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,417 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

ohv / off road driving

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. A well-maintained gravel road but steep and narrow in a few places. Four-wheel drive seldom necessary under dry conditions. Road is closed when rain is expected due to extreme flash-flood danger through narrowest part of Titus Canyon. May also close with winter snows. Perhaps the most popular backroad in Death Valley National Park. Very scenic after the first 10 miles. A few buildings remain at the Leadfield Mine and Townsite. Interesting geologic rock formations and a few petroglyphs. The road is one-way east to west. Street-legal vehicles only.

ohv/off road driving

We wanted to go to Fall Canyon so Google took us this way and it was awesome. Once you get past the washboard road, you start snaking your way up and down through the cayon until you get to Leadfield. We stopped and took a quick look at the mine shaft and abandon buildings. Next is some driving through a dry riverbed until a stop for a couple of petroglyphs. What follows next is the real payoff.... a slot canyon but for trucks... Now, some words of caution.. tire blowouts are real; a Jeep in front of me lost one on the washboard section. There are also several sections of jarring ruts and protruding rocks that you need to look out for. Don’t get going too fast. Highly recommended trail!!

2nd half of the drive after Thimble Peak Trailhead is stellar. Definitely need high clearance, the road can get very very rough. The constant vibration and rumble slightly took away from the experience after enduring it for 15 miles. Not the most spectacular scenic drive out there, Kolob Canyon in Zion is better. Enjoy though

You'll need a high clearance vehicle to do this drive. Probably wise to let a little air out of your tires once you get into the canyon. Road can be somewhat rough and bumpy in spots, but nothing too technical. The first several miles leading up to the canyon are lame. But once you get to the heart of the canyon, it's breathtaking. Varied landscapes with a rainbow of colors. Most of the drive is within an open canyon. The last few miles are along a narrow path between steep walls. Very cool.

ohv/off road driving

Outstanding sightseeing. Easy road. I used my 4x4 for better grip, but not needed though.

ohv/off road driving

This is a MUST!!! BEAUTIFUL views, and the trail is pretty easy.

ohv/off road driving

Our first time on this drive, it was quite spectacular. The first 10miles were somewhat boring and we covered that in 35min, and then the interesting part of the drive started. Covered next 17miles in 2hours, including stopovers for some great pics. Very unique drive through the canyon, must experience it. Afternoon sun made for some real good lighting and pleasant hues.

Incredible views of the mountains and canyons. The narrows towards the end we’re really beautiful

ohv/off road driving

Easy trail that any suv or crossover could do with awd or 4wd could do. Nice views in the canyons and tons of colors to see in the mountains.

I have traveled and explored this road a few times. gorgeous scenery. great little ghost town mine in the middle of all the beauty. so many different views you cant see it all in just one pass.

ohv/off road driving

I come here with my folks when we visit Death Valley and always have a great time. We do this road in jeeps. We have a blast and the views are amazing. Each time we have traveled this road there wasn't anyone else we saw. So I would assume it's more light to moderate traffic. It is a very bumpy ride so I personally wouldn't recommend a passenger car as this road is scenic but is pretty rough.

Hardly even need 4x, assuming you stay on trail. Great route with spectacular views! Traveled in stock Gladiator Rubicon. Make sure to take off the freedom top if you have them!

ohv/off road driving

This was a wonderful drive. The first 7-9 miles is a little boring as the desert scenery doesn't change much. Once you enter the first canyon, the views are spectacular and the beautiful views don't end until leaving the slot canyon at the end.

ohv/off road driving

Just drove this road in a small SUV over the weekend. The first few miles are basically not much to see and the road beat on you. Enter the canyon and it was beautiful then realized I haven't seen anyone since the beginning and I am in the middle of nowhere. If I brake down it is going to be either a long wait or long walk. Highly recommend just know what you are getting yourself into.

ohv/off road driving

Fantastic and mostly easy for any AWD vehicle with off road tires.

Fri Mar 29 2019

Easy trail, but the views are amazing. Chance to see some wildlife and there’s no other people out there. Highly recommend

Sat Mar 02 2019

Traveled the trail by pickup as I had only one day in Death Valley. Gorgeous views. Saw no one until I got to the last 1000 yards, near the parking area where the road becomes 2-way. Highly recommended.

Sun Jan 13 2019

An easy trail with one way traffic only. Driving with relax.

Mon Nov 05 2018

entrance is a little long,like a pipeline road for about 8 miles but air down and you can handle the washboard at about 50mph making quick work of it. The rest of the trail is worth it. Great views thru black rock ending in a slot canyon not much wider than your vehicle for about 1.5 with walls above 100 feet. One way only.

Sat Oct 27 2018

This is a ONE WAY/ ONE DIRECTION trail. Keep in mind that you must enter the way described in this map. This was not clear to me, I thought I could run it in either direction and lost a lot of time on my trip. Very beautiful trail though, high clearance and 4x4 recommended

Tue Oct 23 2018

Fun to drive through.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Great fun. Easy, interesting and you can hike and walk as other people drive

Sun Sep 09 2018

FANTASTIC drive. Im a solo female in my 2014 JK--a novice off road--and i did just fine, but I was concentrating deeply to make sure my tires werent sliced up on the rocks. Also, you have to mind the curves, not just the terrain. It takes about a 2.5 hours in total if you take your time and enjoy it. At an hour in, you begin switchbacking down and up multi-colored, jagged cliffs. This alone is worth the drive from pavement over uneven, rocky desert. Watch for Black-tailed Jackrabbits. The canyon itself is more dramatic than I'd expected and there are plenty of areas where you're the only thing fitting through. This was my 6th time to DV and I'm so thankful i was finally A) in the right kind of vehicle and B) there when it was open!

Sat Aug 04 2018

Definitely need an off roading vehicle! Or something at least with high clearance. Once you start there’s no turning around. One of my favourite places to date. Lots of wildlife and places to stop and do small hikes around. The old town is super cool too. Some people drive through it quickly, but honestly take your time and soak everything in. It’s gorgeous.

Fri Jun 08 2018

Ready for fun! Road is rough for the first ten mile due to washboarding. Scenery is terrific, very memorable and photogenic. We drove it on an off day, day after Memorial Day. Only saw two hikers, no other vehicles. Like purges said, just stay in the tracks and all will be well!

Mon Aug 28 2017

Beautiful views, easy for the most part although in some areas it would definitely be better to have a high clearance 4x4. Leadfield mine and the petroglyphs are must stops.

Sun Jun 25 2017

So many amazing parts to this drive. Each time you think it can't get better, it does. The end is just spectacular and so much fun to drive.

Mon May 29 2017

Outstanding place! Couple sections on this drive and they are all unique in their own ways. Really need to experience it yourself, I don't want to spoil it for anyone. Fairly easy drive if you have the right vehicle, heck, saw a Camry half way through after a pretty hard drive. Make sure your vehicle is equipped with off roading shocks otherwise you just have to take it slow to avoid shock fade. Really don't need 4x4 however would make it a little easier on the switch backs. High clearance is also optional be there are some dips and wholes so expect some scrapes. Or just drive a rental like the Camry I saw and not care about all that. We were there on Memorial Day weekend which is the hottest time of the year to go. It was over 100 degrees and miserable but the trade off is there's hardly anyone there. The trail is one way only! Starts on the back side of Death Valley on the Nevada side.