Mojave Road

Mojave Road is a 117.5 mile heavily trafficked point-to-point trail located near Laughlin, Nevada that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is best used from October until April.

Distance: 117.5 miles Elevation Gain: 8,225 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

This is an off-road driving route. There are sometimes closures along this route due to washouts and maintenance. Please check here before visiting: https://www.nps.gov/moja/planyourvisit/conditions.htm

great time inspire temperatures over 100 degrees cooled off nicely at night will definitely go again

off road driving

Has anyone done this trip in a side by side?

off road driving

Air down your tires 20 and below. Very rocky, sharp rocks, sandy, dirt road, washouts, river crossing. Cross the river last so you don’t end up with caked on mud/salt. My Jeep has a 3” lift with 35” tires. Water was at my hood latches at the deepest. It’s best not to have a trailer of any kind.

off road driving

This is a very good trail with lots of reviews so I am going to mention one route change. At Ft Piute the road is no longer open westward for vehicles. We had to back track to Gulch Road (at a double set of high power lines) and travel about 1.4 miles south to pick up a road headed west again. The road we took had a rock cairn marker. In about 5 miles or so our GPS told us we had again joined this route.

off road driving

Drove 5/23-24/19 - awesome trail! Started from Laughlin. Definitely need 4x4 and aired down tires. Ended with a Water crossing that was up to the hood. Don’t forget plenty of water.

Took us two days coming from Laughlin. A great trail- and lots of scenery and stops along the way. The water crossing was okay- we stayed to the left and went just fast enough to push the water in front of the truck. Don’t forget to stop at the mailbox along the way and sign in! Lots of other fun stops like a lava cave. We will definitely be doing this trail again.

off road driving

Fairly easy road. Took three days from Laughlin to the 15. Great views and awesome camping. The river crossing was manageable....stay on the west side...it’s pretty deep on the east side. If you get sidetracked, watch out for the private property signs. There are some “hills have eyes, end of days” freak shows that will defend their property with their 2nd amendment rights. Stay away from those crazy people, or you will never be seen again!

off road driving

Trail was great. We started from the California side and ended up in Laughlin, NV. I would definitely do this trail again. Our first night we stayed at Beale Mountains and our second night we stayed 8 miles north off the Mojave Trail in Caruthers Canyon. The Beale Mountains camping site was very windy. Caruthers Canyon was very very cold at night and we had to turn on our buddy heater. In Caruthers Canyon there are many off-shoots where you can camp in private enclaves. This was my favorite camping spot even though it was so cold. Towards the end of the trail it directs you off course and you will end up at Gulch Rd you will need to make a left in order to make a right and end up back on the Mojave Rd. All in all, it was a great time and there were so many cool things to see.

off road driving

Beautiful scenery everything was blooming and the mountains were green from all the rain. The trail was a little bumpy in some parts but it was not bad at all! We made frequent stops to check out the views and explore our surroundings. Now i could see why people take three days on the trail so much to see and take in! Great place for the family to spend time without devices. I highly recommend this trail!!

off road driving

Will do this trail every year from now on. west to east. Had to bypass Afton canyon and lake bed, to much water and mud. Hopped on trail from Baker. 67 FJ 40 built to camp out of. 2 night and 3 days. only issue was a tent pole broke. trail was closed on top of piute bluff, not a big deal. a little bypass trail to drop down, hooked back up and went up the canyon to fort Mojave. amazing place with lots of history and water. I could see this trail being a lot harder in summer with heat and deep sand washes. going back in October. yes bring lots of fire wood, it did get cold and windy at night.

off road driving

we loved this trail. this is great for long driving. take your time and visit as much waypoints as you can. do not be afraid to get off trail to check out scenic views and hiking trails. make sure your rig is in great condition since with all sorts of terrain you will encounter, your vehicle will work hard for you.

Once in a life time trail. recomend for anyone! must do. absolutely will not regret. bring fire lots of firewood. enjoy the night sky and the coyote calling at night. lots of animals signs if u know where to look. bring heater cuz it's cold at night. I traveled west to east. right off the bat is a three feet water crossing. I made it just fine in a stock gx470. heavily loaded with gear guess and dog. start the wake and stay behind the wake. I did it on 2low center diff locked. after that is a rock wall climb. I dented my rear trailing arm mount on the way up. another three feet water crossing is nextbut there is a by pass on the far left of u dont want to get wet again. after that it was just beautiful trails. take lots of pics and enjoy!

off road driving

A great adventure! I recommend doing the trip in 3 days with two overnights. That will allow you to take the time to explore your surroundings. I especially recommend hiking the trail at Fort Piute to check out the petroglyphs. We had two stock 4x4 Grand Cherokees (2012 and 2008) with slightly oversized BFG KO2s. 90% of the trail was easy and about 10% moderate difficulty. Traveling East to West the hill descent into Watson Wash was a bit sketchy- especially as we arrived there at dusk. In its current condition climbing that hill would not be possible in a stock rig. The hill can be bypassed if necessary; two lifted and well equipped wranglers tried to climb it while we were there and had to bypass.

Tuesday, June 05, 2018

Great trail for the whole family. Took us 1.5 days taking it pretty easy average 14 mph most of the time in a lifted Tacoma with 33” tires aired down to 13 & 10 psi for comfort and grip. Very fun trail that any stock 4x4 can easily handle larger vehicles definitely expect to come home with racing stripes. We had a stock f150 in the group who momentarily got stuck on the running board and put a bubble in his bfg all terrain sidewalls and one motorcycle overheat in the dune section so take it easy there. Gas is just off the trail to the north about 20 miles from the end. We took an extra 5 gallons just Incase and that would have been enough. Water crossing at the end was 3 ft deep and no issue. Lots of wildlife- scorpion, rattle snake, racer snake, coach whip snake, baby chuckwalla, rabbits, squirrels, deer, cows, lots of lizards, desert tortoise on the trail so watch out! Slept outside under the stars. Have fun!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Awesome Trail - River Crossing was manageable in a Stock Suburban Z71 with 4x4. Trail is pretty easy to follow with GPS. Drylake is fun - lots of different terrain. Sand, Rocks, Rutted Washes. Small technical sections. Only one real rocky section coming down into Laughlin. Overall not to bad just a few Santa Fe Racing stripes on the side of the truck after. Nothing bad. Highly recommend. Took me 2 days camping in the middle and taking our time.

Monday, April 02, 2018

Just finished this trail with family. 6 vehicles in all and we had a blast. We traveled east to west starting at mile 0 at the Avi. Had rain most of the day Sat and heavy rain that night. lots of exploring and some amazing scenery along the way. keep the rock cairns on your right. The rain made for some great off-roading but we had to bypass soda lake. We did backtrack from Razor Rd. to place our rock at Travelers. It was very muddy and would have been impossible to make the entire dry lake. Afton Canyon is absolutely amazing! We could have spent another day just exploring this area. Water crossing was very deep after the rain the night before. Always use caution when crossing this section...3 - 4' deep that afternoon. We all made it and finished up in Barstow. 3 days total and a lifetime of memories. We will definitely do this trail again. 4X4 is recommended. Carry extra fuel and don't go alone. Great camping spots scattered along trail. Like always pack it out.

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Historical route with many side trips. seen many of video on this route and I am surprised how much the trial difficulty has gone up. There was only one steep downhill section I couldn't do. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to test their overland skills without tearing sort their rig.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Cool

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Excellent track any 4x4 should be able to tackle! Path is easily marked for the whole route (just keep rock piles on your right side) this could easily be done in two days but I recommend doing it in three. Three days gives you more time to explore the side trails and features. I highly recommend the lava tubes and cinder mine! Both were very cool spots!

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Super awesome went the first of June not to hot and completed in one day. So many cool things to do and see a must for any weekend warrior overlander.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

4 day trip, 146 miles of awesome! 1 moderate descent, muddy dry lake bed, 2 4ft water crossings, and endless fun. Had a 14 gal spare gas tank, others made it by with 10 gal.

Friday, April 03, 2015

We spent the night at a Hotel in Laughlin and the hot shower sure felt good. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have but it took all of my concentration to make it through the 40 miles of deep sand. On the return trip, we took a different route out of Laughlin and I drove the gas truck the whole way back. I got stuck near Geoff as a train had broken down and was blocking the road so I had to drive 10 miles to a place where I could go under the tracks and just barely cleared. As a result of the train blocking the road, I was an hour late to the gas stop and you do not get cell phone reception on the Mojave Road. By the time the day was over and I finally got home, I think I had driven my truck over 600 miles the final day. That wore me out more than riding my bike the day before. This is a fun ride, but it is more fun if you can have a designated gas truck driver so you don't have to trade off. Never do this ride alone because if you have a problem, it could be a very long time before someone would find you. I would say that the minimum number of riders should be at least four to be on the safe side and more is even better. If your group is over a certain number, you have to get a permit from the Mojave National Preserve Ranger. This ride is best done in the winter because it can get well over 110 or higher in the summer.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Great, easy trail. Some technical sections, lots of landmarks. Use GPS. Stock 4WD should be fine, but may sustain some minor damage to low hanging plastic parts. Did the trail in 2 days, taking our time and camping in the middle. Find a campsite with shelter from the wind (maybe against a ridge). Completed the trip in early April, and is was getting a little hot. Rain could hamper a trek across the dry lake bed. Sign the logbook at the mailbox, and bring a rock across the lake to the travelers monument .

Thursday, August 04, 2011

If you like the desert, then you will love the Old Mojave Road, from the salt flats to the old ruins, to the mail stop, to the ice pond, to Old Fort Mojave, the Nipton Hotel and finally to Laughlin, NV. Best to do it with a group of friends, stay at the Nipton Hotel one night and the have drinks and buckets of shrimp in Laughlin. We have done this several times as a tribute to our friend, Ken T.