Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT): Tahoe Meadows to Twin Lakes

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(61)
Toiyabe National Forest

Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT): Tahoe Meadows to Twin Lakes is a 7.1 mile out and back trail located near Incline Village-Crystal Bay, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,633 feet Route Type: Out & Back

recorded Tunnel Creek Trail

Memorial weekend - no snow on trail. Lots of people for the first mile, as they head to Monkey rock. Then they go left and this trail goes right. Awesome views start at 1/3mile in. Best views of lake are lower part of trail. Wood-sy and beautiful on upper half. No lake views at end point when it intersects the TRT. Too many people for my liking on hikes but can’t beat the views!!

Great trail!! Snowy still at the top. Defiantly not a hard hike. Steady incline the whole way! And beautiful look out points!

I wouldn't rate this hike as hard. Most of the trail is an old fire road. Incredible views. Snow you can post hole in for the last half mile or so. The lakes are still frozen. No others around. Only on the descent did I run into more tourist ( who shouldn't be in Tahoe right now anyway, shame on you!) and cyclist.

Great hike! I wanted a lake view hike and this is it! I only came across a couple bikers...I went all the way to twin lakes and sat by the lake and didn’t see one person. I think it ended up being 8.3 round trip with that add on. I am pooped! I love that you can hike as far as you can up hill and then oh just stumble down back to your car downhill the whole way. Views gorgeous on way down. You could probably just do a couple miles up and turn around. A lot of tourists seemed to be doing that on my way down. Some spots of shade.

Great views of the lake over first mile of hike. After that it’s really a steady climb through the forest. Still pretty good views and trail very well maintained and marked.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Gorgeous hike. Hikers and bikers alike. Slightly windy at twin lakes but a great snack spot. I was all alone there... I think most people take the marlette route.

Tue Jul 10 2018

The views are breathtaking (as is the elevation gain). As mentioned before, it's heavily used by mountain bikers. On the way back, we decided to take the Tahoe Rim Trail to BP (Diamond Peak - 8,540 feet) and then the Incline Flume Trail (it will add an extra 9 miles to the hike, but it's totally worthwhile, with unique views of Washoe Lake.

Tue May 01 2018

Mistake. Didn’t do this hike (first-time AllTrails app user...). We did go to the trailhead but the parking lot was closed and there was too much snow. So turned around and did the Tahoe Rim, Tunnel Creek Road trail which was fantastic!

Fri Jun 19 2015

What a beautiful trail, beautiful views! We were only disappointed at reachingTwin Lakes and finding out they were all dried up. Since it's more a trail for bikers, we encountered a number of them on the trail.