Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT): Spooner Summit to Snow Valley Peak

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(146)
Spooner Lake Management Area

Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT): Spooner Summit to Snow Valley Peak is a 11.5 mile out and back trail located near Glenbrook, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,267 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Amazing hike with awesome views of the whole lake as you hike along the ridge. Cool comparison between the Tahoe side and the desert Nevada side. Stunning hike! A total beast of a hike to knock out in one day though.

Amazing! Skip the last climb and stay on the TRT. Great views of Marlette with Tahoe behind it

Great hike and not many people on the trail yet. Went through a couple of snow drifts but we’re very passable

Hiked Sat. May 2nd. Only hit a few large snow patches starting about a mile from the top. Trail was great along with the weather, although it was a little windy at the top.

Hiked this a week back, even with snowshoes the last mile is a challenge. Walking at such a strange angle really did a number on my ankles. The views are worth it. It easy to lose the trail so keep your GPS handy. Marlette is still frozen but beginning to thaw. Another couple weeks and the trail should be mostly snow free. Nice gradual climb

Weather was perfect! A little windy on top. Trail is pretty well established only lost it three times and was within 20-30 yards each time before I would pickup tracks again due to some wind swept areas that would hide previous snow shoe tracks.

Very ambitious loop for those who prefer something other than the Marlette Lake out & back. Pretty easy going from Spooner Summit to Spooner Lake, moderate climb from Spooner Lake to Marlette Lake. Marlette is honestly such a hidden jewel, I regret not spending more time laid out on the rocks taking in the scenery. Beautiful aspens in full fall colors. Then decided on a whim to go up higher, with the intention of getting Marlette Peak checked off my list, but once I saw the TRT heading back down I checked the time and decided to follow the TRT back to Spooner Summit. Best decision ever, the views of Marlette, Tahoe, the Sierra, Mt. Rose, Reno, Carson.... just everything. I’m surprised I kept a 3mph pace as it was a very long hike, but no sections were steep by my standards. Worth the 17 miles!

We just hiked 4 miles in and turned around... some other time we’ll be back to finish the hike to Snow Peak.

We don't give 5* to many trails, this is an underappreciated gem!! shade about 2/3 of the way. The last mile or so offers spectacular 180° view of lake Tahoe. trail is in terrific shape. Not rocky. Parking is limited, seems lot more space off us50 eastbound, crossing on foot manageable. At the peak there are couple of small radio tower w building, and views in ALL directions. Reno, Grand Sierra, Tohakum pk which is across Pyramid lake. Castle pk, Granite Chief across N Lake Tahoe. Freel, Jobs, Tallac, Pyramid pks across S lake Tahoe. Wow!

my first long hike. the flowers were beautiful and we even saw snow remember to bring water because there are places of direct sunlight and no water sources the elevation is very high

Did the Tahoe Rim Trail 50 miler and had a great time. Beautiful trails and views!

Beautiful moderate trail! Wide sandy trail easy on your feet with a gradual climb.

This hike is a longer one but well worth the distance for the views once you reach the top of Snow Valley Peak. Despite the distance, this route is never too difficult. A few patches of snow were left near the summit (07-06-2019). As another reviewer said, make sure to continue on the TRT for a short distance after completing the summit for an incredible view of Marlette Lake. Note: my AllTrails app crashed in the middle of this one, so I lost about a mile and a half of my recording

July 2nd. Clear trail, just a few patches of snow near the top. Cool temperatures with the wind when you get to the building things on the top. Nice view.

Hiked on June 25th, 2019. This segment of the TRT is now snow free. Gorgeous views from Snow Valley Peak, but make sure you also hike past the road junction that goes up to the peak to a viewpoint of Marlette Lake on the TRT. Can’t wait to hike back up here in the fall to see the aspens change from above.

Did this trail with my 83 year old father. We only hiked 4 miles in. The trail has some nice views of the lake and the weather was perfect in late June. We saw a lot of runners on the trail and overnight backpackers but it wasn't too crowded. We started around 9:30 am.

Gorge. But I kept losing the trail as there are hardly any tracks except for the faint cross country skier tracks and I kept losing them. you’re not gonna make it to Snowvalley Peak unless you’re on cross-country skis and even then it’s difficult to find the trail but it’s a great place to kind of shut off and get out to the back country once you’re far enough away from the highway Hike on!

Sat Mar 30 2019

This is a great cross country ski trip with mostly low angle climbing and descent. The trip up to Snow Valley Peak requires some route finding through the forest following the TRT. I chose the East side of the ridge for the final section of the climb to avoid any unstable snow on the steeper West side traverse. Descending down to the Marlette Lake trail is a fun way to use a wide open slope for the return trip, rather than picking your way back through the forest. If you're not breaking trail on the way down from Marlette Lake to Spooner, the trial is fast and easy.

Sun Dec 09 2018

Back today for snowshoeing- this local trail is becoming one of my favorites! Went about 2.5 miles or so before the broken trail came to an end, so ended up with a total distance slightly over 5 miles. The views were gorgeous! The Carson Valley was hidden under a “lake” of fog, while Lake Tahoe sparkled in the sun.

Sun Dec 09 2018

This trail was fabulous for snowshoeing! I appreciated the plowed parking lot at the trailhead that did not require a Sno-Park permit. We headed out early, and only ended up seeing four other people on our way back. Doing the trail in winter, covered in pristine snow was magical - and so different than hiking it in summer. Shortly after the second vista point, we had to start breaking trail so at that point we decided to turn back. I was glad to have the map downloaded since many other snowshoers and cross country skiers have made their own trails and off shoots. All in all, it was a great way to enjoy the mountain snow without making extra pollution or noise.

Thu Nov 15 2018

I didn’t hike all the way to Snow Valley, just went 8 miles as an out and back. Very few people out this time of year, we saw 5 people on foot and 5 people on horseback. The views of Tahoe were all seen as glimpses through the trees, but still a very beautiful hike.

Tue Sep 18 2018

Great views of lake tahoe starting about halfway through the hike most of the way to the top. The jeep trail towards the towers is the way to snow valley peak. Not very many people on the trail. If you go straight past the jeep trail you get a good view of Lake Marlette, with the option to hike an extra mile down to it. Would do it again

Wed Sep 05 2018

Took this trail today, and despite the haze from the North Fire, it was great as usual. No cell service at the Spooner Summit /TRT parking area, so couldn’t track the hike using the All Trails app.. oh well. After hitting Snow Valley peak, I took the Jeep road down to where it meets the road leading north to Marlette Lake. Went and looked around, and then headed back south on the dirt road towards Spooner. One tip: this was a thirsty hiking day, and 3l in hydration bladder wasn’t gonna do. Where the Jeep road down from the TRT meets with the Marlette Creek dirt road, there is a very clean, fast flowing spring fed creek to refill bottles/hydration bladder. I didn’t die drinking it. You probably won’t either. ;-) All together this “loop” was 24km. Enjoy!

Mon Oct 30 2017

Nice trail. I met a few people. It’s between easy and moderate. My dog handled the trail easily. There are nice spots with awesome views of the lake and Carson city at the same time.

Thu Aug 03 2017

What a great hike, loved going thru the forest with the different firs and pines. Ran into some snow and ice, but not that bad. Wild flowers on the lower elevations.

Mon Jul 17 2017

Amazing view!

Sun Jun 11 2017

Fri Feb 03 2017

Good climb, quick DH. great views.

Sun Oct 23 2016

I only hiked 3 miles towards the snow valley peak and will have to return next time to get all the way there but I really enjoyed this trail. Some Carson valley and Lake Tahoe views but mostly trail goes through the forest.