Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT)

Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT) is a 169.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Incline Village, Nevada that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

skiing

A 13 day hike around the TRT starting at Tahoe Meadows.

Hiked this trail solo in 12 days. Easier than the JMT, but with the heavy snow year in 2017, navigation was a bit challenging in the snow. Resupplied once by Echó Lake Summit. This trail is a great introduction to thru-hiking.

the 7 mile hike up to lake view was amazing. Fun day hike, a lot of bees at the top though. will hike further next round

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

I split my TRT thru-hike into two major sections. First half in June and second half in August. Both were bug free. I'd make sure, next time to pack extra water flavorings as Spooner Summit Lake water wasn't exactly flavorful. There is water off the trail in Friel Meadows, it will take a few extra minutes to reach. Take an extra day in Desolation Wilderness. I did it in a day. It's too awesome to bust out that fast. This is a great first thru-hike fir those wanting to get into LDH. It teaches resupply, resource management, and hike mileage strategy.
PS I thru-hike'd the AT several years ago.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Update to an earlier Reivew
I went back and completed the sections I'd missed in the spring. I connected Tahoe City CA with Kingsbury Grade CA via the Desolation Wilderness.
One must obtain a Desolation Wilderness Permit before going into the region.
the DW is by far my favorite section with vistas and lakes galore.
Do not expect to resupply at Echo Lake Chalette (sp) it is a 'gas station' type of stop with some great people working there.
This mid-August the bugs were gone. The weather mild with late afternoon thunder storms on the Eastern half.

Monday, July 11, 2016

I went counter clockwise beginning at Mt Rose.
Made it to Tahoe City before jumping off and shuttling to Kingsbury Grade due to snow reports on Dick's Pass and Freel Pass.
I realized I started a week to soon for the snow to clear. Others were doing these sections with some difficulty.
This is the first trail I needed to be concerned about water. For me 2ltrs was not enough on the dry sections.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Did the whole TTR in 2012. Started at echo and it worked out great. Took 13 days.

Monday, June 02, 2014

Haven't completed the Tahoe Meadows to Spooner segment yet. I've been wandering around the whole section of the Carson Range between the Lake and Carson City-Carson City-Washoe Valley and Woodfords to I-80. I'll get it done eventually...

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Yesterday I hiked a small part of the Rim Trail for a great view of the Lake. Drive 2.7 miles out of town on 267. The trail crosses the road there and goes uphill (East). Follow signs for the Spur Trail. A nice 1.5 mi uphill climb for a little side trip while you're in the area.

I have gone downhill from the trailhead there and found it less than thrilling...

Friday, July 28, 2017