Sloan Canyon Trail

Sloan Canyon Trail is a 4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sloan, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

historic site

Petroglyphs can be found along the 100 trail.

We had a great experience today, our 8 year old crushed the trail! Not an issue following trial, fairly easy finding markers and staying on course! Great hike! Petroglyphs were exciting to see!

Petroglyphs were awesome, waterfalls were fun to scramble up. Fun trail all around. Great staff at the ranger station.

wonderful Trail to amazing petroglyphs! Trail was easy to follow. Not sure why the person before had such trouble. There is one dry waterfall to climb up right before the petroglyphs but easy to do. Highly recommended.

The trail is very poorly marked. For those planning to do the whole loop study the map carefully and pay close attention to the 100/200/300 sign posts. I’m an experienced hiker and went off trail both times I hiked here. Today I went 10.5 miles on a supposed 3.8 mike hike. I take some responsibility for not bringing a map but I’m shocked at how poorly marked it is, considering they do have a ranger station. Not sure if I dare to try this again, unless I have someone waiting to pick me up in Jean!

I hiked the 100 trail here, but could definitely see it being good for trail running as well. Most of the hike is on loose sand/gravel so wear footwear with some lateral support. There is no shade, bring plenty of water and sunscreen! The second half of the 100 trail is very cool, as you walk through the canyon and find petroglyphs on the rocks. It's pretty easy hiking, there are a few dry waterfalls that you have to climb up, but nothing too difficult. I wish I had had more time to do the other trails!

It was a fairly easy hike with some rock scrambling. The petroglyphs were amazing! There were quite a few to look at.

Nice trail. Cool to see petroglyphs so close to the city.

Will definitely be doing it again. only ran into 3 people for the 3 hours I was on the trail. The petroglyphs were really interesting to see considering they've been dated 12000 years old.

This is a very flat kind of boring trail, we did the 101 because we have dogs and a very nervous security officer made it very clear, that dogs Have to be on leashes at all times and we are only allowed to do one trail. What a waste of money and nature! Would only recommend this hike for families with tiny little children, who have nothing else to do.

Close to town, easy trail, Dont know why it's tagged no dogs though..I brought mine(on leash) and no issues saw few other pups as well

Beautiful hike with great views looking down into anthem

Loved this hike. Had some difficulty climbing up some rocks, but the petroglyphs at the top were worth I️t! New favorite local hike!

Good idea to stop at the ranger station at the trail head and get the skinny on the trail. Be prepared to walk the entire way through soft sand and pebbles (adds challenge...like walking through soft sand at the beach) because the trail is entirely through the wash. The short route will require some minor rock climbing (12-15’ dry waterfalls), which can be challenging if you aren’t dressed for hiking or you have young children or people who are not sure-footed in your group. Not bad but not easy. There are no sign markers to point out the petroglyphs so keep your eyes peeled after climbing the larger of the dry waterfalls. Mountain bikes are prohibited on the trail.

fantastic hike. highly recommended. it is quite sunny with little shade, so dress accordingly. the 100, 200, and 300 trails are not pet friendly per the lady at the visitor center. definitely stop in beacuse they were very helpful with letting us know what to expect. the turn from the 100 trail to the 200 is especially tricky so watch for that.

Very easy at the beginning. Eventually you get to some dry fall which can be challenging to climb over.

Dog are not allowed. An angry lady in the visitors center will scream at you if you try. I did not get to hike.

Love this trail lose gravel so make sure you wear appropriate shoes if your doing the loop expect some minor climbing and incline hiking noting to crazy also beware of our little lizard friends they are everywhere lol also som desert jack rabbits might startle you, if you want a little challenge do the loop go right at the first 100 marker on trail 100 and if you wanna just a nice smooth hike continue left at that same 100 marker and you'll only have two sets of medium size rock formations to climb. I got out there early around 630-700am but the gates to the visitors center doesn't open till 830 I believe so you will have to park your car by the main gate and hike up the road to the trail. Good luck and have fun drink plenty of water.

Definitely challenging mostly because of the gravel. Great view, nice people on the trails, and a quiet and clean environment. Don't forget to sign the book, in the metal box, next to the trail poster! A great long hike that turned into six miles! The weather was perfect.

Amazing trail! Great for families!