Skunk Harbor

Skunk Harbor is a 2.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Carson City, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 528 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Beautiful hike down to the water, plenty of shade. Get there early to secure the best spot.

Great trail, it was easy enough to do with 3 kids! Beautiful cove at the end was worth while.

Very easy to follow path that leads to small isolated coves with beautiful colors. The hike is simple and fast enough. The bathing downstairs is just perfect even though the water is cool in this month of October. Our dog loved it!

nice view the path down is steep but worth it

Always a favorite. We love this location for a lunch spot. We hike down, sit by the water, have our sandwich and let the dog swim. It’s a steady 1.5 mile assent out. Definitely a perfect spot for when you want a quick hike and a bit of solitude.

recorded Skunk Harbor

Use map, going down is easy coming back up is hard. But the views are amazing and worth the work. Once you get to lake and summer house you can picnic, swim and take in the breath taking views.

Lovely sandy trail, not too difficult, to a gorgeous cove. Lots of yellow jackets in late summer at the cove, allergic hikers beware. They didn’t bother us much though.

This was a very nice trail. There are some moderate grades but the trail is very smooth. You get some sneak peaks of the lake as you hike down and the beach access at the bottom was fantastic. We were at the bottom around 10:30 on a Monday and the beach was starting to get crowded but we were able to find a spot for us and the two dogs. The dogs loved playing in the water. My only complaint is that there were a ton of yellow jackets down on the beach (although none of us got stung) and on the trail. Lots of dogs off leash but we did not run into any trouble with ours.

The Harbor and views are well worth your time. I hiked down at 8 AM on a Thursday and didn’t see another soul until after 11. I highly recommend bring a snack, swimsuit and book so you can hang out at the bottom.

Such pretty views great hike make sure you get there early though for parking

private property

Highly recommend getting there early to secure a parking spot as well as a spot once you get down to the beach area. We went on a Sunday and arrived around 8:30, had no problem parking and the trail was fairly empty. Not a ton of beach space once you hike down as there is still a lot of water overflow from the snowfall this season (you can actually see some snow-covered peaks from the higher point of the trail). Overall a great experience, felt very secluded even with all the families and occasional hikers and swimmers passing by. Bring a lunch and lots of sunscreen!

Crowded. Not once the special place it used to be. Hashtags ruined this spot. Pack water folks and leave the big container of cheese balls in the car, It is a 3 mile hike.

Very moderate trail from highway down to the lake. the views are spectacular! Plan on spending time swimming and floating around in the harbor. A word of advice, there are a lot more people and dogs on the trail than other reviews indicate. Arrive early on especially on weekends for parking.

Probably my favorite hike in Tahoe. We hike it several times in the summer. It gets really crowded on the weekends, so it's best to try it during the week. We try to go around 8am, swim, and then head back up the trail when the boats start coming in. It's not too crowded, but with the water levels this year there aren't many places to put your gear. The trail is down hill the entire way to the lake, so be prepared to hike uphill on the way back.

Cool history of Tahoe at the houses that newhall built.

I started off around 9am and ran into one hiker at the bottom of the harbor. It was such a quick hike down. The hike up was a little challenging and had to take a one or two breaks to catch my breath and drink some water, it was such a quiet walk. On my way up around 11am passed a couple of hikers.

Highly recommend bug spray!! I currently have 25, yes 25 bug bites all over my body. Eaten alive out there. Otherwise a very nice hike with beautiful views. Save energy for the hike back up since it’s all uphill.

Gorgeous spot

Nice trail - ran into a black bear 1/4 mile in so just a heads up!

Four seniors handled this trail very well today! Great Lake Tahoe views from start to finish. Nice wide smooth trail. Took 45 min each way, despite a pretty good incline on the return. Beach at the bottom provides nice stop for a 15 min breather. Real plus was that we only saw 4 others on this trail today. Definitely would recommend. A hidden gem.

Hiked with my dog and it was a great time. Only wish it was longer. Had a few side trails that had great scenic views.

Absolutely gorgeous trail and not too strenuous. You work your way down to the water and then hike back up. Went out last Sunday and were the first ones there so it was nice and quiet. Would definitely recommend getting there early, by the time we left people were parking up and down the sides of the road.

easy walk on well maintained area to a great little beach area

Today was a beautiful day and hike. No snow on the trail and pretty moderate overall. It's all downhill going down and so be prepared for the hills coming back up. Beautiful little beach and history once you make it to the Harbor. Enjoy

I really enjoyed this hike! It was absolutely beautiful! My husband and I went at the end of April. Very little snow and there were only a handful of people that we ran into. Very quite and peaceful. We had a picnic and relaxed on the beach area at the bottom. The water felt great!

Hahaha this is 100% still a snowshoe trail in March. I’m not from here and didn’t know. We did it anyway and it was incredibly exhausting. We had our toddler in the carrier and sank down in a few feet of snow the whole way. I imagine it’s absolutely beautiful when the snow melts but it was not fun without snowshoes. Parking is pretty easy. Views are beautiful. Extremely difficult in the snow. Made for a great story at least

Love this trail year round but especially when I can swim at the bottom!

This was a great hike! We went in late November, so there was ABSOLUTELY no one on the trail. It’s mostly downhill on the way down, so it’s quite the climb coming up, but totally worth it! The beach and the house at the bottom was beautiful and a great place to rest. Highly recommend!

This was my favorite hike of the trip. Not particularly busy (though it was a Monday) and it was so peaceful. It was pretty easy too. The trailhead is in a weird place and there isn't a whole lot of signage, but the trail is really big and easy to follow. My favorite part was the little trails everywhere that shot you out into different parts of the main trail!