Secret Canyon Trail

Secret Canyon Trail is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder City, Nevada that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

hot springs

The canyon ends at the Colorado River, just across the river from Gold Strike Canyon.  There is a "hot" spring that feeds into the Colorado...but, sometimes it is not so hot. This canyon a also unique since the last rappel must be ascended to get out of the canyon...a good opportunity for canyoneers to practice their ascending skills.

We couldn’t get to the river on account of the 50’foot drop where there used to be something to climb down from. The temperature outside was 116 however on the trail it was a bit hotter. We ran out of water and had difficulty making our way back to the car. We were only.3 miles from the car when finally i collapsed, the rangers had to come in and carry me out. I suggest not attempting this trail in July or August it’s just too hot. I will be back in October to conquer this trail... with my ropes and gear to climb. Be safe out there.

It was fun, but hard. Couldn’t get access to water. Some things to consider, lots of water, rope, gloves because the rocks that you climb up and down get really hot!!! And keep an eye on the rainy season.

rock climbing

A nice and scenic hike. Starts off with a little bit of bouldering and ends up at a 60’ rappel. So bring a rope. I️ used a 150’ of 11mm static rope and I️t worked out perfectly. After you descend you walk about 20 yards to another 15’ or so rappel to get to the hot springs. As we hiked we came across no other hikers and there was no trash or debris along the route. I️ highly recommend any beginner canyoneers or anyone looking to get their first step into the rope world try this hike out. You won’t be disappointed.

there is no longer access to the river. You get to within about a few hundred yards I imagine, and then you get to where a rope MIGHT have been, before an insane drop off (at least 30 ft). It looks like there may have been a rope here before, and even if there was, this is some expert-level stuff. The walk there is nice, but you don't get to even see the river at the end. Do not take this Trail. You will be disappointed. Not worth the required effort. Also, the hot springs have dried up.

Monday, May 22, 2017

This is not an easy trail. Although I would do it again and again. A quick stop at a hot springs and then we ended at the river.