Secret Canyon Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder City, Nevada that features hot springs and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 895 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

hot springs

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. The canyon ends at the Colorado River, just across the river from Gold Strike Canyon. There is a "hot" spring that feeds into the Colorado but, sometimes it is not so hot.  It starts off with a little bit of bouldering and ends up at a 60’ rappel. You will need to bring a rope. After you descend, you walk about 20 yards to another 15’ or so rappel to get to the hot springs. This is a technical trail which will require some climbing and rappel to get to and of the canyon. This is not a reasonably climbable (toprope) ascent as the rock is very smooth. Make sure to bring the gear necessary to ensure safe ascension.

is it open right now?

wonderful spot to go to when you get to the end you're either going to have to have a rope with some rappelling gear or even easier if you had a rope ladder but very beautiful and peaceful

very difficult climbing the rock at times. great scenery

Great hot springs. First pool is very hot

Mon Mar 25 2019

Cool trail, only thing I would say is that there does not seem to be a good way to climb up after rappelling. You will either need ascension gear or risk "walking" up the rock face pulling on the rope. The trail has little shade and is mostly on a sandy wash with rocks along the way. There are a few class III sections but mostly class II until the rappel. Next time, I will make sure to bring the gear I think I need to ensure safe ascension.

Wed Jan 02 2019

The people who didn’t like this trail are boof

Sun Aug 05 2018

We couldn’t get to the river on account of the 50’foot drop where there used to be something to climb down from. The temperature outside was 116 however on the trail it was a bit hotter. We ran out of water and had difficulty making our way back to the car. We were only.3 miles from the car when finally i collapsed, the rangers had to come in and carry me out. I suggest not attempting this trail in July or August it’s just too hot. I will be back in October to conquer this trail... with my ropes and gear to climb. Be safe out there.

Wed Jul 25 2018

It was fun, but hard. Couldn’t get access to water. Some things to consider, lots of water, rope, gloves because the rocks that you climb up and down get really hot!!! And keep an eye on the rainy season.

rock climbing
Wed Mar 07 2018

A nice and scenic hike. Starts off with a little bit of bouldering and ends up at a 60’ rappel. So bring a rope. I️ used a 150’ of 11mm static rope and I️t worked out perfectly. After you descend you walk about 20 yards to another 15’ or so rappel to get to the hot springs. As we hiked we came across no other hikers and there was no trash or debris along the route. I️ highly recommend any beginner canyoneers or anyone looking to get their first step into the rope world try this hike out. You won’t be disappointed.

Thu Dec 28 2017

there is no longer access to the river. You get to within about a few hundred yards I imagine, and then you get to where a rope MIGHT have been, before an insane drop off (at least 30 ft). It looks like there may have been a rope here before, and even if there was, this is some expert-level stuff. The walk there is nice, but you don't get to even see the river at the end. Do not take this Trail. You will be disappointed. Not worth the required effort. Also, the hot springs have dried up.

Mon May 22 2017

This is not an easy trail. Although I would do it again and again. A quick stop at a hot springs and then we ended at the river.

Sun May 19 2019