Sandstone Canyon Loop [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(124)
Rainbow Mountain Wilderness

Sandstone Canyon Loop [CLOSED] is a 2.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blue Diamond, Nevada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 242 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

historic site

Please note: users have reported this trail is closed. There is a $10 entry charge.

fee

Fun trail. Unfortunately there is no off trail hiking allowed, which is sad because there were some cool rock formations begging for scrambling and exploration which is why I give it 4 stars instead of 5

It was a amazing trail I enjoyed it my dog enjoyed it it’s very Beautiful I can’t wait to go again next time

fee

Lake is dry, park ranger stalks people, children are loud as devils but otherwise beautiful.

bridge out
private property

closed
private property
Thu Apr 18 2019

Didn’t realize I had to pay to get in ($10) so really make it worth your while. Beautiful views but no lake. Lots of areas roped off due to private property. But overall, beautiful hike.

Mon Apr 08 2019

was a good walk for little kids. trails are super short and we spent more time eating lunch in the picnic area than we did actually "hiking".

Sat Mar 23 2019

I started at Overlook Loop and finished with the Sandstone Canyon Loop. All the views were so beautiful. You could hear frogs and so many birds, the the Sandstone Canyon trail had butterflies flying all around it. Highly recommend.

Sun Mar 10 2019

It was a great trail for the dogs. It was rocky but the rocks weren’t too big. The views from this trail were beautiful! Would definitely come back.

Sat Mar 09 2019

All I can say is WOW! I spent a morning doing every trail at SMR and this one was my FAVORITE! It’s been a very rainy winter so be prepared to get your feet wet! Very well maintained and super easy to follow. Just a total pleasure- I can’t recommend enough.

Fri Feb 15 2019

Very muddy and windy today. Dog friendly and great views. I will be back very soon when the wind has died down and it dries up.

Mon Jan 21 2019

Fun trail & little creek to cross through. Short and easy hike but lots too see & really scenic. My Annie loved it

Tue Apr 17 2018

As of January 2018 it is now $10 to enter the park. No discount for Nevada residents. This is a wonderful trail, a bit muddy in places due to the overnight rain but still very passable. A little elevation gain and the need to watch your footing due to rocks on the trail but otherwise an easy stroll with fantastic rocky mountain views.

Sun Apr 08 2018

We did a guided night hike and it was awesome.

Thu Feb 08 2018

It was beautiful!

Sat Jan 27 2018

A nice afternoon hike. Not too much of an elevation change. Great if you are a bit out of shape. It’s fun taking the tour of the old ranch house too!!

Sat Jan 20 2018

Beautiful trail, kid and dog friendly. great for all ages, younger children may need a little help in areas. You do cross a stream in the middle and there is also a halfway mark if You only want to do a 1mile instead of 2miles. The old houses, barns and cows are fun to look at towards the end of the trail.

Sun Nov 05 2017

No water or flowers (early November) and easy to confuse the trails, but well worth the cost to enter ($9 for non-residents, $7 for Nevadans). Very pretty scenery and fairly easy, though I would say easy-moderate due to some moderate incline/decline spots

Sun Nov 05 2017

Nice easy relaxing hike. Great springtime flower hike.

Sat Oct 07 2017

It was a nice little hike. My almost 3 year old walked it herself only taking 3 snack breaks (her legs are small). The scenery was beautiful and that’s what made it worth it. The lake was dried up, and the river was gone except for a small trickle of water. There are old little houses you can take a tour of that you have to pass to get to the trailhead. I’m glad we went, but I don’t see us going back.

Wed Jul 05 2017

It's actually called the Sandstone Canyon Loop when you get into Spring Mountain Ranch and look at the map. It's a relatively easy trail, half is a fairly wide open path. The other half, if you choose to go all the way around the loop that crosses the wash, is a much narrower dirt trail. it's not that hard to see, it's lined with small white rocks on the sides. There is only one sign, however, that shows you where to take the right-hand fork to go counter-clockwise, as opposed to going around clockwise. This is a typical desert hike, lots of little scrubby brushes, Joshua trees, cholla cactus. The rocks and mountains are gorgeous, I've posted pictures. I enjoyed this hike so much, that I bought an annual pass. Looking forward to exploring the other hikes. Compared to Red Rock, there are more hikes that are rated easy.

Sun May 28 2017

This trail is an excellent confidence builder for those that have not been exposed to hiking. I would definitely pack a picnic, and enjoy the grassy and shady area by the parking lot and visitor's center. All of the plants are blooming and this place is a reprieve from the hustle and bustle of Las Vegas.

Thu Apr 13 2017

Very easy trail. Lots to see as far as history goes with the old houses.

Mon Mar 06 2017

Beautiful super chill trail... great for the dogs and picture taking :) relaxing and extremely easy!

Tue Dec 13 2016

Love it here and beautiful