River Mountains Trail Loop

River Mountains Trail Loop is a 34.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Boulder City, Nevada that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 34.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,526 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

beach

paved

rails trails

historic site

Take a break from the slot machines for this paved loop trail that offers incredible desert and lake views. One of the newest and most diverse additions to the list of outdoor activities in the Vegas area is the River Mountains Loop. With miles of smooth pavement, your recreation options include biking, inline skating, recumbents, Trikkes, hiking, trail-running, wheelchairs, and equestrian pursuits. It must be noted however, that while portions of the trail are great for all of the previously listed activities the entire loop is mostly suitable for biking, walking, and running. Only the most capable skaters, recumbent riders, and Trikke riders will be able to negotiate the entire trail due to a few very steep areas. Although this path is considered a rail-trail, only a little over 3.5 miles of the trail was actually converted from a former rail-bed. So the usual gradual inclines of rails-to-trails routes do not apply on this path. Some of the inclines are surprisingly steep for an asphalt trail. Despite the rigorous workout, the desert vistas and Lake Mead views make all of your efforts worthwhile. And if that isn't enough, many lucky trail-users are the recipients of stellar wildlife viewing including roadrunners, coyotes, deer, desert tortoises, and bighorn sheep.

Awesome trail, not for beginners. Take lots of water. Make sure you have a comfortable seat on your bike...

this Trail is nice if your bike riding or just want to get a good workout, however for me because I like to really look at the sights and have beautiful scenery this is kind of bland as far as that goes. The mountains are beautiful of course but because of his desert area it's basically just dry with no trees and that sort of thing so it's just not my taste.

Awesome vistas at every turn. Best ride ever!

This is my winter home, and I love this area. Not a gambler but I love the amazing places to eat nearby, but mostly I am grateful to have this trail and the River Mountains to run on and around. This was the top of my list for places to retire after 30 years of military service. Being a runner, the paved trails are amazing, and and access to the single track for trail running are amazing! It's never busy on the paved trail, and in two years I have only come across one other hiker/trail runner. Friendly people who enjoy the outdoors just minutes away from the chaos of Las Vegas.

This trail should not be rated as easy. sure, I attempted it on my 36" unicycle rather than a regular bicycle, but still. It's very long with a lot of steep climbs. Should be a great trail on a road bike. I made it over 20 miles on the unicycle before it got dark and I had to call an uber to get back to my car.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

Great views and challenging hills. Great place to run away from the traffic.

Saturday, March 24, 2018

It should be named “Riadside Truckstop” Trail!

Sunday, March 18, 2018

I always enjoy running on this trail when I come to town. It is well maintained and mostly used by bikers.

Monday, October 30, 2017

Great paved trail with nice climbs. Just bring lots of water when you ride.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

I do my road cycling on RMLT , excellent views of Lake Mead and desert landscape , lots of switchbacks and hard climbs specially 3 sisters....

Sunday, February 05, 2017

great views, csnt get lost.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

beautiful trail ! easy and safe hike for dogs.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

I was on @ 5:45 and off by 6:45 for an easy 6 miler with great scenic views and some random flora, hub caps, etc. The path I took which was where this app dropped me on the map was a rolling paved bike path with various terrain off shoots. I noticed 3 or 4 branches into other dirt roads, horse trails, etc that I might go back and try for a bit more adventure. I'm guessing the other photos are from shimmying down in the canyon which might be fun but I kept thinking flash flood and your toast. Temperature was fine for this San Diego guy but I wouldn't want to be out here after 7:30am in July.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Since it was not evidently clear to us ill post here so that others know this is primarily a bike path through open desert. The whole way is paved. Based on the photos we assumed this hike was through a canyon. The canyon area is accessible near the river mountain path but it would require a decent bit of scrambling especially after heavy rain last weekend. We couldnt get down as we had our 2 dogs with us. Also be sure to bring sunscreen and plenty of water as this path is direct sun with no shade.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Can't find a link for the entire 35 mile River Mountains Loop so I'll post here. We spent a week in Vegas and rented hybrid bikes. We completed the RMLT twice (CCW both times) in that week, about 4 hours or so each time. Awesome, great rides. Very little traffic on the trail itself, and very few road crossings. Couple of the grades were a bit much for this flatlander, but the views and the workout were great.

Saturday, May 02, 2015