River Mountains Trail Loop

River Mountains Trail Loop is a 34.4 mile loop trail located near Henderson, Nevada that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rails trails

Take a break from the slot machines for this paved loop trail that offers incredible desert and lake views. One of the newest and most diverse additions to the list of outdoor activities in the Vegas area is the River Mountains Loop. With miles of smooth pavement, your recreation options include biking, inline skating, recumbents, Trikkes, hiking, trail-running, wheelchairs, and equestrian pursuits. It must be noted however, that while portions of the trail are great for all of the previously listed activities the entire loop is mostly suitable for biking, walking, and running. Only the most capable skaters, recumbent riders, and Trikke riders will be able to negotiate the entire trail due to a few very steep areas. Although this path is considered a rail-trail, only a little over 3.5 miles of the trail was actually converted from a former rail-bed. So the usual gradual inclines of rails-to-trails routes do not apply on this path. Some of the inclines are surprisingly steep for an asphalt trail. Despite the rigorous workout, the desert vistas and Lake Mead views make all of your efforts worthwhile. And if that isn't enough, many lucky trail-users are the recipients of stellar wildlife viewing including roadrunners, coyotes, deer, desert tortoises, and bighorn sheep.

I do my road cycling on RMLT , excellent views of Lake Mead and desert landscape , lots of switchbacks and hard climbs specially 3 sisters....

great views, csnt get lost.

beautiful trail ! easy and safe hike for dogs.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Thursday, July 07, 2016

I was on @ 5:45 and off by 6:45 for an easy 6 miler with great scenic views and some random flora, hub caps, etc. The path I took which was where this app dropped me on the map was a rolling paved bike path with various terrain off shoots. I noticed 3 or 4 branches into other dirt roads, horse trails, etc that I might go back and try for a bit more adventure. I'm guessing the other photos are from shimmying down in the canyon which might be fun but I kept thinking flash flood and your toast. Temperature was fine for this San Diego guy but I wouldn't want to be out here after 7:30am in July.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Since it was not evidently clear to us ill post here so that others know this is primarily a bike path through open desert. The whole way is paved. Based on the photos we assumed this hike was through a canyon. The canyon area is accessible near the river mountain path but it would require a decent bit of scrambling especially after heavy rain last weekend. We couldnt get down as we had our 2 dogs with us. Also be sure to bring sunscreen and plenty of water as this path is direct sun with no shade.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Thursday, May 21, 2015

Can't find a link for the entire 35 mile River Mountains Loop so I'll post here. We spent a week in Vegas and rented hybrid bikes. We completed the RMLT twice (CCW both times) in that week, about 4 hours or so each time. Awesome, great rides. Very little traffic on the trail itself, and very few road crossings. Couple of the grades were a bit much for this flatlander, but the views and the workout were great.

Saturday, May 02, 2015