Relay Peak Trail

Relay Peak Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Incline Village, Nevada that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike for day trip. Easily doable with my mom (who is 60). She did great.

Did this hike with an additional side trip up Houghton today, pretty views and well marked trail but what a zoo this trail can be! The section from the parking lot to the waterfalls was crazy, lots of unleashed aggressive dogs made it a very stressful trip with our two pups. Once clear of the waterfall it seemed like traffic died out almost completely. I’d come back but never on a weekend again.

This is the perfect trail for Snow Shoeing! Other trails that I've been on have been difficult to tell where the trail is unless there are tracks already, and then - can you really trust them? This trail is very wide (snowmobile's use a large segment of it) and is very clearly defined by TRT signs along the way. The first .6 mile trail is a hiking trail, but once you get past that, it's a piece of cake.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Hiked this trail today but instead of going to Relay I turned a half mile before and took the trail to Mt Houghton which is .75 to top. This a wonderfully designed trail to Houghton with terrific low growing flowers and lichen cover rock. Majestic views in all directions. For the ambitious hiker you can do three 10000' peaks in one hike: Mt Rose, Mt Houghton, and Relay. Check out today's photos

Thursday, July 27, 2017

This was a great trail that my wife and I spontaneously hiked. Bring water!
We went at the end of July 2017 and the wildflowers were every where. Just amazing! This is wide fire road hike until you get to the snow line below Relay Peak. We hiked all the way to the building at the summit. We didn't hike the the last half mile to the peak because we hit our cut off time to meet our kids. But, my wife put the peak on our bucket list.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Hiked this about a month ago with my dog and I really liked the trail. Traffic thins out by the waterfall since most people go to mount rose. There is not a lot of shade though so do this one early,especially if you bring your dog.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

It was great. No sign of snow anywhere. Great signage along the trail. I really liked that you get cell coverage the entire way. Especially if you are hiking alone and may need some help.
I am so glad I brought my poles cause you need them!

Saturday, June 18, 2016

There is still plenty of snow. We made it about 3/4 before the snow was too much and we turned back. Still a lovely hike.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Started at the Mt Rose Summit parking lot and climbed to Mt Houghton first (10,500 ft) before heading another 2 miles towards Relay Peak. Amazing 360 degree views!!!

Friday, July 24, 2015

Took the road route in and up to the top and came out through Galena Creek and the Mt. Rose Trail. Good views in all directions. Hiked out with a couple of guys from New Brunswick who had just finished up the Western States 100...seriously hardcore...

Friday, October 26, 2012

It is pretty hard but I'm 11 and I did it it leads to a high looking point where you can see a pond but you are buy a power thing

Friday, July 06, 2012

This is a rough hike. Total out and back is 10.5 miles, with 5,020 feet are climbing elevation. Starting at 8,400 Feet the peak is 10,300, so about 3000 feet of vertical, but the view at the top is monumental. The scenery on the trail is spectacular. Carry plenty on water and plan lunch at the top.

Friday, September 15, 2017